IE 7 Menu Bars will not Stay Put

John Gregory

IE 7 Menu Bars will not Stay Put
The internet Explorer menu bar keeps changing. The normal configuration
which has been stable for months shows the menu bar, and the Google toolbar
together in a single row, one on each side.

Today, the first thing that happened is that the menu bar grew to 3 times
its normal size, still keeping the menu and Google on one level. I unlocked
the toolbars, and turned off the menu and the Google toolbar, and then
restarted them – they showed up on two separate lines.

I moved the Google toolbar back into place and it seemed to stick, I locked
the toolbars and moved on. However, now when I open a new tab, the toolbars
are on top of each other. I can change them back, and they seem to stay on
the tab, but every time I open a new tab, they are back.

What is going on here? Is there a way to fix this?

Kernel version: Microsoft Windows XP, Multiprocessor Free
Product type: Professional
Product version: 5.1
Service pack: 2
IE version: 7.0000
Processors: 2
Processor speed: 1.8 GHz
Physical memory: 1534 MB

Re: IE 7 Menu Bars will not Stay Put
Like many other third-party toolbars (e.g., Yahoo; Skype; Windows Live),
Google Toolbar has its own, very strong ideas about where it should be
located in the IE toolbar.

Google Toolbar Help Forum
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Toolbar

PS: If you don't have Google Toolbar 5 installed, uninstalling your current
version & then installing this newest version *may* correct the behavior.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

John Gregory wrote:
> The internet Explorer menu bar keeps changing. The normal configuration
> which has been stable for months shows the menu bar, and the Google
> toolbar
> together in a single row, one on each side.
>
> Today, the first thing that happened is that the menu bar grew to 3 times
> its normal size, still keeping the menu and Google on one level. I
> unlocked
> the toolbars, and turned off the menu and the Google toolbar, and then
> restarted them – they showed up on two separate lines.
>
> I moved the Google toolbar back into place and it seemed to stick, I
> locked
> the toolbars and moved on. However, now when I open a new tab, the
> toolbars
> are on top of each other. I can change them back, and they seem to stay
> on
> the tab, but every time I open a new tab, they are back.
>
> What is going on here? Is there a way to fix this?
>
> Kernel version: Microsoft Windows XP, Multiprocessor Free
> Product type: Professional
> Product version: 5.1
> Service pack: 2
> IE version: 7.0000
> Processors: 2
> Processor speed: 1.8 GHz
> Physical memory: 1534 MB

John Gregory

Re: IE 7 Menu Bars will not Stay Put
Thank you for your response.

I searched Google, and they seem to think it is an IE7 problem.

This is sooo frustrating! Every software and/or hardware supplier I work
with almost always says it is the “other guys problem”.

Is there any way to tell when an update was applied? This just started
today, so if the update was applied today for one software but not the other,
it would go a long way toward isolating the issue.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Like many other third-party toolbars (e.g., Yahoo; Skype; Windows Live),
> Google Toolbar has its own, very strong ideas about where it should be
> located in the IE toolbar.
>
> Google Toolbar Help Forum
> http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Toolbar
>
> PS: If you don't have Google Toolbar 5 installed, uninstalling your current
> version & then installing this newest version *may* correct the behavior.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> John Gregory wrote:
> > The internet Explorer menu bar keeps changing. The normal configuration
> > which has been stable for months shows the menu bar, and the Google
> > toolbar
> > together in a single row, one on each side.
> >
> > Today, the first thing that happened is that the menu bar grew to 3 times
> > its normal size, still keeping the menu and Google on one level. I
> > unlocked
> > the toolbars, and turned off the menu and the Google toolbar, and then
> > restarted them – they showed up on two separate lines.
> >
> > I moved the Google toolbar back into place and it seemed to stick, I
> > locked
> > the toolbars and moved on. However, now when I open a new tab, the
> > toolbars
> > are on top of each other. I can change them back, and they seem to stay
> > on
> > the tab, but every time I open a new tab, they are back.
> >
> > What is going on here? Is there a way to fix this?
> >
> > Kernel version: Microsoft Windows XP, Multiprocessor Free
> > Product type: Professional
> > Product version: 5.1
> > Service pack: 2
> > IE version: 7.0000
> > Processors: 2
> > Processor speed: 1.8 GHz
> > Physical memory: 1534 MB

Re: IE 7 Menu Bars will not Stay Put
1. Uninstall Google Toolbar and any other third-party toolbars installed via
Add/Remove Programs.

2. Reboot.

3. Install the current version of Google Toolbar (only) and see if the
behavior persists.

John Gregory wrote:
> Thank you for your response.
>
> I searched Google, and they seem to think it is an IE7 problem.
>
> This is sooo frustrating! Every software and/or hardware supplier I work
> with almost always says it is the “other guys problem”.
>
> Is there any way to tell when an update was applied? This just started
> today, so if the update was applied today for one software but not the
> other, it would go a long way toward isolating the issue.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Like many other third-party toolbars (e.g., Yahoo; Skype; Windows Live),
>> Google Toolbar has its own, very strong ideas about where it should be
>> located in the IE toolbar.
>>
>> Google Toolbar Help Forum
>> http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Toolbar
>>
>> PS: If you don't have Google Toolbar 5 installed, uninstalling your
>> current
>> version & then installing this newest version *may* correct the behavior.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> John Gregory wrote:
>>> The internet Explorer menu bar keeps changing. The normal configuration
>>> which has been stable for months shows the menu bar, and the Google
>>> toolbar
>>> together in a single row, one on each side.
>>>
>>> Today, the first thing that happened is that the menu bar grew to 3
>>> times
>>> its normal size, still keeping the menu and Google on one level. I
>>> unlocked
>>> the toolbars, and turned off the menu and the Google toolbar, and then
>>> restarted them – they showed up on two separate lines.
>>>
>>> I moved the Google toolbar back into place and it seemed to stick, I
>>> locked
>>> the toolbars and moved on. However, now when I open a new tab, the
>>> toolbars
>>> are on top of each other. I can change them back, and they seem to stay
>>> on
>>> the tab, but every time I open a new tab, they are back.
>>>
>>> What is going on here? Is there a way to fix this?
>>>
>>> Kernel version: Microsoft Windows XP, Multiprocessor Free
>>> Product type: Professional
>>> Product version: 5.1
>>> Service pack: 2
>>> IE version: 7.0000
>>> Processors: 2
>>> Processor speed: 1.8 GHz
>>> Physical memory: 1534 MB

John Gregory

Re: IE 7 Menu Bars will not Stay Put
Thank you again for the response. I compared the file listing for the Google
Program Files directory with my home computer (which works fine), and noticed
that the files for the unruly toolbar are dated very recently.

Based upon this discovery, I assume it is the latest version of the Google
toolbar that is defective. Since I do not have the previous version
installation files, I intend to copy the files from my home computer to my
work computer. I have also disabled the update service as well.

I will re-post Monday if this works.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Uninstall Google Toolbar and any other third-party toolbars installed via
> Add/Remove Programs.
>
> 2. Reboot.
>
> 3. Install the current version of Google Toolbar (only) and see if the
> behavior persists.
>
> John Gregory wrote:
> > Thank you for your response.
> >
> > I searched Google, and they seem to think it is an IE7 problem.
> >
> > This is sooo frustrating! Every software and/or hardware supplier I work
> > with almost always says it is the “other guys problem”.
> >
> > Is there any way to tell when an update was applied? This just started
> > today, so if the update was applied today for one software but not the
> > other, it would go a long way toward isolating the issue.
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Like many other third-party toolbars (e.g., Yahoo; Skype; Windows Live),
> >> Google Toolbar has its own, very strong ideas about where it should be
> >> located in the IE toolbar.
> >>
> >> Google Toolbar Help Forum
> >> http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Toolbar
> >>
> >> PS: If you don't have Google Toolbar 5 installed, uninstalling your
> >> current
> >> version & then installing this newest version *may* correct the behavior.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

John Gregory

Re: IE 7 Menu Bars will not Stay Put
After several experiments involving removal of all add-ins and reinstallation
of several versions of the Google toolbar (versions from 3, 4 to 5), I have
come to the conclusion that the issue is related to IE7. This baffles me
since the menu bar / tool bar behaved quite well for a long time, then
without apparent notice it just stopped staying in position.

Are there any registry settings or other settings I can use to make this
toolbar stay in place?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Uninstall Google Toolbar and any other third-party toolbars installed via
> Add/Remove Programs.
>
> 2. Reboot.
>
> 3. Install the current version of Google Toolbar (only) and see if the
> behavior persists.
>
> John Gregory wrote:
> > Thank you for your response.
> >
> > I searched Google, and they seem to think it is an IE7 problem.
> >
> > This is sooo frustrating! Every software and/or hardware supplier I work
> > with almost always says it is the “other guys problem”.
> >
> > Is there any way to tell when an update was applied? This just started
> > today, so if the update was applied today for one software but not the
> > other, it would go a long way toward isolating the issue.
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Like many other third-party toolbars (e.g., Yahoo; Skype; Windows Live),
> >> Google Toolbar has its own, very strong ideas about where it should be
> >> located in the IE toolbar.
> >>
> >> Google Toolbar Help Forum
> >> http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Toolbar
> >>
> >> PS: If you don't have Google Toolbar 5 installed, uninstalling your
> >> current
> >> version & then installing this newest version *may* correct the behavior.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: IE 7 Menu Bars will not Stay Put
No.

John Gregory wrote:
> After several experiments involving removal of all add-ins and
> reinstallation of several versions of the Google toolbar (versions from 3,
> 4 to 5), I have come to the conclusion that the issue is related to IE7.
> This baffles me since the menu bar / tool bar behaved quite well for a
> long
> time, then without apparent notice it just stopped staying in position.
>
> Are there any registry settings or other settings I can use to make this
> toolbar stay in place?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> 1. Uninstall Google Toolbar and any other third-party toolbars installed
>> via Add/Remove Programs.
>>
>> 2. Reboot.
>>
>> 3. Install the current version of Google Toolbar (only) and see if the
>> behavior persists.
>>
>> John Gregory wrote:
>>> Thank you for your response.
>>>
>>> I searched Google, and they seem to think it is an IE7 problem.
>>>
>>> This is sooo frustrating! Every software and/or hardware supplier I
>>> work
>>> with almost always says it is the “other guys problem”.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to tell when an update was applied? This just started
>>> today, so if the update was applied today for one software but not the
>>> other, it would go a long way toward isolating the issue.

Larry

Re: IE 7 Menu Bars will not Stay Put
Try this John:

TOOLS-Manage Add-ons, disable the 'Google Toolbar Helper'. Restart IE7 and
make it the way you like it. Should retain these settings now. This
doesn't affect G toolbar but fixes most instances of your type of problem.

Cheers,

Larry

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Uninstall Google Toolbar and any other third-party toolbars installed
> via
> Add/Remove Programs.
>
> 2. Reboot.
>
> 3. Install the current version of Google Toolbar (only) and see if the
> behavior persists.
>
> John Gregory wrote:
> > Thank you for your response.
> >
> > I searched Google, and they seem to think it is an IE7 problem.
> >
> > This is sooo frustrating! Every software and/or hardware supplier I
> > work
> > with almost always says it is the "other guys problem".
> >
> > Is there any way to tell when an update was applied? This just started
> > today, so if the update was applied today for one software but not the
> > other, it would go a long way toward isolating the issue.
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Like many other third-party toolbars (e.g., Yahoo; Skype; Windows
> >> Live),
> >> Google Toolbar has its own, very strong ideas about where it should be
> >> located in the IE toolbar.
> >>
> >> Google Toolbar Help Forum
> >> http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Toolbar
> >>
> >> PS: If you don't have Google Toolbar 5 installed, uninstalling your
> >> current
> >> version & then installing this newest version *may* correct the
> >> behavior.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

JGreg7

Re: IE 7 Menu Bars will not Stay Put
Larry, thank you for the response. I tried the procedure you provide - there
was no change in the results.

However, as an interesting excercise, I have installed/uninstalled the
Google toolbar versions 3, 4, 5, and now 6 Beta. All have the same issues.

I did however discover that the google toolbar will share the menu bar line
if the Google toolbar is located on the extreeme left and the menu is located
to the right of it. Not my preferred solution, but it is better than taking
up two lines. This seems to work consitently with all versions.

The newsgroups I have looked into - both Google and IE7 - seem to have no
solid idea what could be causing this and they continue to blame the other
guy, however I am not entirely convinced. The issue started on the same day
that the Google toolbar updated itself. I checked this and found the files
for the Google toolbar were all date stamped at the same time the issue
started. Perhaps there is a file that does not uninstall that Google keeps
remebering between versions?

My search for truth continues....