CARING FOR WINDOWS XP ???

Tom Massfeller

CARING FOR WINDOWS XP ???
Hello all, I've been pretty happy with XP on my Dell. purchased in 2004, I
have automatic updates set for XP... also I've got AVG Internet Security
which seems to protect my 'puter adequately. I also do a disk cleanup and
defragment every month.

But the overall system seems to have slowed down. Can you give me any
suggestions to speed things up?? I figure my computer has picked up a lot
of superfluous "stuff" over the years, which shouldn't be there!

Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated!!! Thanks & Best
Regards..................... <TOM>

Leonard Grey

Re: CARING FOR WINDOWS XP ???
All computers slow down over time, as more software is added. Your
computer is about 5 years old.

Just keep it free from malware and look after it as you normally would,
and you'll get the best performance from it.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Tom Massfeller wrote:
> Hello all, I've been pretty happy with XP on my Dell. purchased in 2004, I
> have automatic updates set for XP... also I've got AVG Internet Security
> which seems to protect my 'puter adequately. I also do a disk cleanup and
> defragment every month.
>
> But the overall system seems to have slowed down. Can you give me any
> suggestions to speed things up?? I figure my computer has picked up a lot
> of superfluous "stuff" over the years, which shouldn't be there!
>
> Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated!!! Thanks & Best
> Regards..................... <TOM>

Guilden_NL

RE: CARING FOR WINDOWS XP ???
Some folks (me) reinstall XP once per year to take care of the issue. I run
a few tools like Registry First Aid too, but ultimately the reinstall is the
only way to correct the problem of "bloat".

--
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI
AMD64 Athlon 3800+ x2

"Tom Massfeller" wrote:

> Hello all, I've been pretty happy with XP on my Dell. purchased in 2004, I
> have automatic updates set for XP... also I've got AVG Internet Security
> which seems to protect my 'puter adequately. I also do a disk cleanup and
> defragment every month.
>
> But the overall system seems to have slowed down. Can you give me any
> suggestions to speed things up?? I figure my computer has picked up a lot
> of superfluous "stuff" over the years, which shouldn't be there!
>
> Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated!!! Thanks & Best
> Regards..................... <TOM>

Leonard Grey

Re: CARING FOR WINDOWS XP ???
I believe your advice is misguided, with all due respect.

Annually reinstalling Windows XP is not a maintenance procedure. An
analogy is buying a new car every year because you can't take proper
care of the one you've got.

Moreover, there is no need to reinstall Windows from scratch, now that
disk imaging software is widely available.

Finally, there has never been any documented proof that so-called
registry cleaners do any good at all. On the other hand, the newsgroups
are filled with evidence of the damage they cause.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

See http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/...r-is-slow.html