Internet Explorer hangs signing into Facebook

Liberator72

Internet Explorer hangs signing into Facebook
I'm having a problem signing into my Facebook account using Internet Explorer
7. I can browse all sites perfectly fine without any problems at all except
Facebook. I can get to the login page but once I enter my sign in details it
redirects to my home page and just hangs the unresponsive. In checking the
running processes using process explorer, it shows iexplore.exe using 50%
processor power. I've installed Firefox to see if Facebook was down but I can
get into my account fine using that browser. I have 2 Desktops and a Laptop
here. 1 Desktop and the Laptop run XP SP3, and the other desktop runs Vista
SP1. I am having this problem on both Desktops but not the Laptop. I've tried
running IE in no addons mode to no avail. Any help or suggestions would be
appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Fed-up

RE: Internet Explorer hangs signing into Facebook
Try deleting Adobe Flash 10 and see what happens. You can always reinstall
it later

"Liberator72" wrote:

> I'm having a problem signing into my Facebook account using Internet Explorer
> 7. I can browse all sites perfectly fine without any problems at all except
> Facebook. I can get to the login page but once I enter my sign in details it
> redirects to my home page and just hangs the unresponsive. In checking the
> running processes using process explorer, it shows iexplore.exe using 50%
> processor power. I've installed Firefox to see if Facebook was down but I can
> get into my account fine using that browser. I have 2 Desktops and a Laptop
> here. 1 Desktop and the Laptop run XP SP3, and the other desktop runs Vista
> SP1. I am having this problem on both Desktops but not the Laptop. I've tried
> running IE in no addons mode to no avail. Any help or suggestions would be
> appreciated.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Liberator72

"Fed-up" wrote:

> Try deleting Adobe Flash 10 and see what happens. You can always reinstall
> it later
>

> "Liberator72" wrote:
>
> > I'm having a problem signing into my Facebook account using Internet Explorer
> > 7. I can browse all sites perfectly fine without any problems at all except
> > Facebook. I can get to the login page but once I enter my sign in details it
> > redirects to my home page and just hangs the unresponsive. In checking the
> > running processes using process explorer, it shows iexplore.exe using 50%
> > processor power. I've installed Firefox to see if Facebook was down but I can
> > get into my account fine using that browser. I have 2 Desktops and a Laptop
> > here. 1 Desktop and the Laptop run XP SP3, and the other desktop runs Vista
> > SP1. I am having this problem on both Desktops but not the Laptop. I've tried
> > running IE in no addons mode to no avail. Any help or suggestions would be
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance.

I removed Adobe Flash 10 but that hasn't resolved the problem. Thanks for
the suggestion though.

It's strange that Facebook is the only site this happens on with both of my
desktop computers yet I can access it fine on my Laptop and on my desktop
using Firefox. I have naturally scanned my computers for Viruses, Malware
etc. using Bitdefender Total Security 2009 on my XP computer, and Norton 360
on my Vista computer. Both come back clean so I don't think that is the
problem. I'm at my wits end with this now so any other suggestion would be
great.
Robert Aldwinckle

"Liberator72" <Liberator72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10AB186C-812F-4AB4-82F2-22F0A91C6ED8@microsoft.com...
> I'm having a problem signing into my Facebook account using Internet Explorer
> 7. I can browse all sites perfectly fine without any problems at all except
> Facebook. I can get to the login page but once I enter my sign in details it
> redirects to my home page and just hangs the unresponsive.

Others have mentioned that Facebook seems to be quite script intensive.
See what happens if you disable Active Scripting. Tip: one way to do
that would be by using the IE Developer Toolbar. Otherwise you need
to delve into the Security settings dialog to do that. In the latter case
you could also experiment with its Prompt setting and figure out if there
was a sequence of Yes and No which minimized the overhead while
maximizing the usability of the site.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> In checking the
> running processes using process explorer, it shows iexplore.exe using 50%
> processor power. I've installed Firefox to see if Facebook was down but I can
> get into my account fine using that browser. I have 2 Desktops and a Laptop
> here. 1 Desktop and the Laptop run XP SP3, and the other desktop runs Vista
> SP1. I am having this problem on both Desktops but not the Laptop. I've tried
> running IE in no addons mode to no avail. Any help or suggestions would be
> appreciated.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Liberator72

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> Others have mentioned that Facebook seems to be quite script intensive.
> See what happens if you disable Active Scripting. Tip: one way to do
> that would be by using the IE Developer Toolbar. Otherwise you need
> to delve into the Security settings dialog to do that. In the latter case
> you could also experiment with its Prompt setting and figure out if there
> was a sequence of Yes and No which minimized the overhead while
> maximizing the usability of the site.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

After disabling Active Scripting I was able to finaly get into my Facebook
account using IE so thanks for that. However this problem only occured for
the first time a few days ago and was always fine before with Active
Scripting enabled. Have you anyidea what could have caused this in the first
place and what I can now do to resolve it without having Active Scripts
disabled. Just as a side note, once Imanaged to get into Facebook, I tried
enabling Active Scripts again and everything was fine until I logged out and
triedto log in again. It seems the problem is just signing into Facebook
itself.

Once again thanks for the help.
Robert Aldwinckle

"Liberator72" <Liberator72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:669088FA-A352-4EDC-914E-AFF0683F94ED@microsoft.com...

> After disabling Active Scripting I was able to finaly get into my Facebook
> account using IE so thanks for that.

> However this problem only occured for the first time a few days ago
> and was always fine before with Active Scripting enabled.

> Have you anyidea what could have caused this in the first place
> and what I can now do to resolve it without having Active Scripts disabled.

Funny thing about scripts (and programming in general): it changes
and when it does there are frequently new bugs which need to be
identified and fixed. ; )

So, my guess would be that you probably just need to hang in there
until it gets fixed again.

> Just as a side note, once Imanaged to get into Facebook, I tried
> enabling Active Scripts again and everything was fine until I logged out and
> triedto log in again. It seems the problem is just signing into Facebook
> itself.

Thanks for that tip. Good work.

> Once again thanks for the help.

You're welcome. Happy to help.

Robert
---

Liberator72

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Liberator72" <Liberator72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:669088FA-A352-4EDC-914E-AFF0683F94ED@microsoft.com...
>
> > After disabling Active Scripting I was able to finaly get into my Facebook
> > account using IE so thanks for that.

> > However this problem only occured for the first time a few days ago
> > and was always fine before with Active Scripting enabled.

> > Have you anyidea what could have caused this in the first place
> > and what I can now do to resolve it without having Active Scripts disabled.

> Funny thing about scripts (and programming in general): it changes
> and when it does there are frequently new bugs which need to be
> identified and fixed. ; )
>
> So, my guess would be that you probably just need to hang in there
> until it gets fixed again.
>

> > Just as a side note, once Imanaged to get into Facebook, I tried
> > enabling Active Scripts again and everything was fine until I logged out and
> > triedto log in again. It seems the problem is just signing into Facebook
> > itself.

> Thanks for that tip. Good work.
>

> > Once again thanks for the help.

> You're welcome. Happy to help.
>

> Robert
> ---
>

> Ok, after days and days puzzling over this I got fed up and decided to make a new user account on my XP desktop to see if using IE in that account would fair any better. It did. It worked with no problems what so ever. I don't know why I didn't try it before to be honest. Anyway, after using the new account, something must have triggered somewhere and also fixed things in my original account, so I now have no problems signing into Facebook. Thanks for the help Robert.

chocolatenutubet

RE: Internet Explorer hangs signing into Facebook
Microsoft MVP's:

I've had same problems since 2/5/09. Either I can't login (IE freezes as it
redirects) or if I get in by luck, it freezes when I got from one tab in
Facebook to another tab in facebook.

Is there any update on when Facebook will fix this??

I find it ridiculous to diasable active scripting just to get into facebook
and then reactivating it when I logout.

Any update on this issue being fixed and advice would be appreciated (note:
I won't switch to another browser- need to use IE).
Thanks in advance for any help!

"Liberator72" wrote:

> I'm having a problem signing into my Facebook account using Internet Explorer
> 7. I can browse all sites perfectly fine without any problems at all except
> Facebook. I can get to the login page but once I enter my sign in details it
> redirects to my home page and just hangs the unresponsive. In checking the
> running processes using process explorer, it shows iexplore.exe using 50%
> processor power. I've installed Firefox to see if Facebook was down but I can
> get into my account fine using that browser. I have 2 Desktops and a Laptop
> here. 1 Desktop and the Laptop run XP SP3, and the other desktop runs Vista
> SP1. I am having this problem on both Desktops but not the Laptop. I've tried
> running IE in no addons mode to no avail. Any help or suggestions would be
> appreciated.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Liberator72

"chocolatenutubet" wrote:

I've had same problems since 2/5/09. Either I can't login (IE freezes as it
redirects) or if I get in by luck, it freezes when I got from one tab in
Facebook to another tab in facebook.

Is there any update on when Facebook will fix this??

I find it ridiculous to diasable active scripting just to get into facebook
and then reactivating it when I logout.

Any update on this issue being fixed and advice would be appreciated (note:
I won't switch to another browser- need to use IE).
Thanks in advance for any help!

As I said in my previous post, what I did was to start a new user account,
browse to Facebook in that account and login as usual. When switching back to
my original User Account browsing Facebook was fine with Internet Explorer.
Since making that post though it has happened again, so I tried again with
the other User Account and bingo, it worked again. Strange to say the
least!!! It's worth noting that I never have problems on Facebook using
Firefox and I would use that all the time if it were not for the crappy
interface and washed out fonts. It is baffling me
chocolatenutubet

RE: Internet Explorer hangs signing into Facebook
Thanks-

Unfortunatelly I can't create another user account. That would create more
problems for me than getting in return a solution for a limited problem, that
being accessing facebook via IE (and I can't switch to another browser either)

Are any other readers out there or Microsoft MVP's aware of the status on
this problem getting fixed by facebook?

Thanks in advance for an update.