Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Arrow on right side of address bar question(IE7)

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2009
Kenneth J. Harris
 

Posts: n/a
Arrow on right side of address bar question(IE7)
Hi! I'm need some info about this arrow's function. It apparently
shows the recently visited sites. How many will it show, and more
importantly is it supposed to retain the visited site addresses? Can it
be made to function more like the arrow button on the left of the
address bar and keep a history of visited sites? I'm trying to set up
my wife's computer to her satisfaction and as a thunderbird user I'm not
that familiar with IE. Thanks for any help.

Ken
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Arrow on right side of address bar question(IE7)
> It apparently shows the recently visited sites

Kinda/sorta. It's actually sites that were recently typed (or copy/pasted)
into Address Bar.

> ...How many will it show, and more
> importantly is it supposed to retain the visited site addresses?


Dunno, and Yes.

> ...Can it
> be made to function more like the arrow button on the left of the
> address bar and keep a history of visited sites?


No.

More in IE Help | (search on) Autocomplete
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/


Kenneth J. Harris wrote:
> Hi! I'm need some info about this arrow's function. It apparently
> shows the recently visited sites. How many will it show, and more
> importantly is it supposed to retain the visited site addresses? Can it
> be made to function more like the arrow button on the left of the
> address bar and keep a history of visited sites? I'm trying to set up
> my wife's computer to her satisfaction and as a thunderbird user I'm not
> that familiar with IE. Thanks for any help.
>
> Ken


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2009
Kenneth J. Harris
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Arrow on right side of address bar question(IE7)
Thanks for the information.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> It apparently shows the recently visited sites

>
> Kinda/sorta. It's actually sites that were recently typed (or
> copy/pasted) into Address Bar.
>
>> ...How many will it show, and more
>> importantly is it supposed to retain the visited site addresses?

>
> Dunno, and Yes.
>
>> ...Can it
>> be made to function more like the arrow button on the left of the
>> address bar and keep a history of visited sites?

>
> No.
>
> More in IE Help | (search on) Autocomplete

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2009
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Arrow on right side of address bar question(IE7)

"Kenneth J. Harris" <kharris@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote in message news:%23ScnEw5iJHA.956@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hi! I'm need some info about this arrow's function. It apparently
> shows the recently visited sites.


> How many will it show,



At most 25. It's IE's internal copy of the TypedURLs list.
Shown by pressing F4.


> and more importantly is it supposed to retain the visited site addresses?



Not necessarily.


> Can it be made to function more like the arrow button on the left of the
> address bar and keep a history of visited sites?



What you probably want is AutoComplete for web addresses checked
(in Options, Content, AutoComplete Settings). Then as soon as you
type a few letters of a domain name (or a Favorite name) some
suggestions from your previous History will appear in a dropdown
(aka the AutoSuggest list). So then you can either click on one
you want or cursor to it to put it into the Address bar and use it
either as is or as a base for further typing. Tip: use Ctrl-Backspace
to quickly remove bits from a URL you don't want to use.
BTW not all visits appear there, e.g. notably no URLs prefixed
by https are retained in History but all Favorites are accessible that way
so https sites might be good candidates for making a Favorite for them.
Etc.


> I'm trying to set up
> my wife's computer to her satisfaction and as a thunderbird user I'm not
> that familiar with IE. Thanks for any help.
>
> Ken



Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2009
Kenneth J. Harris
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Arrow on right side of address bar question(IE7)
Thankyou!

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> "Kenneth J. Harris" <kharris@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote in message news:%23ScnEw5iJHA.956@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Hi! I'm need some info about this arrow's function. It apparently
>> shows the recently visited sites.

>
>> How many will it show,

>
>
> At most 25. It's IE's internal copy of the TypedURLs list.
> Shown by pressing F4.
>
>
>> and more importantly is it supposed to retain the visited site addresses?

>
>
> Not necessarily.
>
>
>> Can it be made to function more like the arrow button on the left of the
>> address bar and keep a history of visited sites?

>
>
> What you probably want is AutoComplete for web addresses checked
> (in Options, Content, AutoComplete Settings). Then as soon as you
> type a few letters of a domain name (or a Favorite name) some
> suggestions from your previous History will appear in a dropdown
> (aka the AutoSuggest list). So then you can either click on one
> you want or cursor to it to put it into the Address bar and use it
> either as is or as a base for further typing. Tip: use Ctrl-Backspace
> to quickly remove bits from a URL you don't want to use.
> BTW not all visits appear there, e.g. notably no URLs prefixed
> by https are retained in History but all Favorites are accessible that way
> so https sites might be good candidates for making a Favorite for them.
> Etc.
>
>
>> I'm trying to set up
>> my wife's computer to her satisfaction and as a thunderbird user I'm not
>> that familiar with IE. Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Ken

>
>
> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gadget side bar question potters mom Windows Vista Home Premium 0 06-02-2008 05:16
missing arrow in windows explorer breadcrumb address bar Shyam microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 05-05-2008 23:00
Where has the normal address bar drop down arrow gone? Adam_N microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 9 11-01-2007 07:51
Side bar question Peter in New Zealand microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 06-03-2007 05:06
Side Bar - News Feed Question Nick Mason microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 04-21-2007 11:50




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:10.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120