IE keeps closing with errors

sweethaven

IE keeps closing with errors
Last Sunday I was downloading homework from the school's website and IE kept
closing on me with a message to send error report. I've sent the report to
Microsoft and as much as I can tell all my Window's Updates have been
downloaded and installed. I've cleaned out the browser history, temporary
files and whatever files that could be deleted through the Internet Options
option. I've also ran a spyware scan which was not too bad. My IE still
keeps closing whenever I've tried to post a message to the school that uses
spell check and it "crashes" when I try to close it using the "X" at the top
of the page.

I use Windows XP that is up-to-date, I use Avast! Antivirus software, and
use the Windows Firewall.

I hope that is all the information that is needed to help me solve this
problem. I'm just lost as to what could be causing the problem with IE. Can
there be something that I'm forgetting or is it a common problem with IE?
Leonard Grey

Re: IE keeps closing with errors
"I've also ran a spyware scan which was not too bad..."

My friend, a computer is either infected or not infected. You need to be
100% free of all forms of malware.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

sweethaven wrote:
> Last Sunday I was downloading homework from the school's website and IE kept
> closing on me with a message to send error report. I've sent the report to
> Microsoft and as much as I can tell all my Window's Updates have been
> downloaded and installed. I've cleaned out the browser history, temporary
> files and whatever files that could be deleted through the Internet Options
> option. I've also ran a spyware scan which was not too bad. My IE still
> keeps closing whenever I've tried to post a message to the school that uses
> spell check and it "crashes" when I try to close it using the "X" at the top
> of the page.
>
> I use Windows XP that is up-to-date, I use Avast! Antivirus software, and
> use the Windows Firewall.
>
> I hope that is all the information that is needed to help me solve this
> problem. I'm just lost as to what could be causing the problem with IE. Can
> there be something that I'm forgetting or is it a common problem with IE?

sweethaven

Re: IE keeps closing with errors
What I meant to say was that I ran Adaware program and it found 18 infections
which were removed. I'm still experiencing the problem everytime I try to
close the browser itself or if I make a post, like for this newsgroup and a
second window has to be opened. I do not recall making any changes before
last Sunday, after last Sunday I did install some programs that I would need
to use.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> "I've also ran a spyware scan which was not too bad..."
>
> My friend, a computer is either infected or not infected. You need to be
> 100% free of all forms of malware.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> sweethaven wrote:
> > Last Sunday I was downloading homework from the school's website and IE kept
> > closing on me with a message to send error report. I've sent the report to
> > Microsoft and as much as I can tell all my Window's Updates have been
> > downloaded and installed. I've cleaned out the browser history, temporary
> > files and whatever files that could be deleted through the Internet Options
> > option. I've also ran a spyware scan which was not too bad. My IE still
> > keeps closing whenever I've tried to post a message to the school that uses
> > spell check and it "crashes" when I try to close it using the "X" at the top
> > of the page.
> >
> > I use Windows XP that is up-to-date, I use Avast! Antivirus software, and
> > use the Windows Firewall.
> >
> > I hope that is all the information that is needed to help me solve this
> > problem. I'm just lost as to what could be causing the problem with IE. Can
> > there be something that I'm forgetting or is it a common problem with IE?

Leonard Grey

Re: IE keeps closing with errors
Problems can result when add-ons you have installed, such as browser
toolbars, are damaged or conflict with Internet Explorer.

Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer. Make sure
that your anti-malware software is running, then download the latest
signatures and run a full scan.

Comprehensive anti-malware software scans for all types of malicious
software in the background, on demand and on schedule. If you don't have
comprehensive anti-malware software, you're a sitting duck.

For now try scanning your system with /several/ of the better online
scanners, such as:
Kaspersky Antivirus (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
Panda ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan)

Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. Run it, save a log, and
post the log at one of the many sites that support HJT, such as
spywarewarrior.com, bleepingcomputer.com, and http://aumha.net -- but
not here. Within a day you'll have step-by-step advice from an expert on
cleaning up any malware infestations.

Even the best detection and removal software can't fix every malware
infection. If none of the above remove the infection, you may want to
show the computer to a professional. You might need to erase your hard
drive and start over.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

sweethaven wrote:
> What I meant to say was that I ran Adaware program and it found 18 infections
> which were removed. I'm still experiencing the problem everytime I try to
> close the browser itself or if I make a post, like for this newsgroup and a
> second window has to be opened. I do not recall making any changes before
> last Sunday, after last Sunday I did install some programs that I would need
> to use.
>
> Any ideas as to what is going on?
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> "I've also ran a spyware scan which was not too bad..."
>>
>> My friend, a computer is either infected or not infected. You need to be
>> 100% free of all forms of malware.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> sweethaven wrote:
>>> Last Sunday I was downloading homework from the school's website and IE kept
>>> closing on me with a message to send error report. I've sent the report to
>>> Microsoft and as much as I can tell all my Window's Updates have been
>>> downloaded and installed. I've cleaned out the browser history, temporary
>>> files and whatever files that could be deleted through the Internet Options
>>> option. I've also ran a spyware scan which was not too bad. My IE still
>>> keeps closing whenever I've tried to post a message to the school that uses
>>> spell check and it "crashes" when I try to close it using the "X" at the top
>>> of the page.
>>>
>>> I use Windows XP that is up-to-date, I use Avast! Antivirus software, and
>>> use the Windows Firewall.
>>>
>>> I hope that is all the information that is needed to help me solve this
>>> problem. I'm just lost as to what could be causing the problem with IE. Can
>>> there be something that I'm forgetting or is it a common problem with IE?

Re: IE keeps closing with errors
Chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection (cf.
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=37919).

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

logs in an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Post your logs to

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

sweethaven wrote:
> What I meant to say was that I ran Adaware program and it found 18
> infections which were removed. I'm still experiencing the problem
> everytime I try to close the browser itself or if I make a post, like for
> this newsgroup and a second window has to be opened. I do not recall
> making any changes before last Sunday, after last Sunday I did install
> some
> programs that I would need to use.
>
> Any ideas as to what is going on?
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> "I've also ran a spyware scan which was not too bad..."
>>
>> My friend, a computer is either infected or not infected. You need to be
>> 100% free of all forms of malware.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> sweethaven wrote:
>>> Last Sunday I was downloading homework from the school's website and IE
>>> kept closing on me with a message to send error report. I've sent the
>>> report to Microsoft and as much as I can tell all my Window's Updates
>>> have been downloaded and installed. I've cleaned out the browser
>>> history, temporary files and whatever files that could be deleted
>>> through
>>> the Internet Options option. I've also ran a spyware scan which was not
>>> too bad. My IE still keeps closing whenever I've tried to post a
>>> message
>>> to the school that uses spell check and it "crashes" when I try to close
>>> it using the "X" at the top of the page.
>>>
>>> I use Windows XP that is up-to-date, I use Avast! Antivirus software,
>>> and
>>> use the Windows Firewall.
>>>
>>> I hope that is all the information that is needed to help me solve this
>>> problem. I'm just lost as to what could be causing the problem with IE.
>>> Can there be something that I'm forgetting or is it a common problem
>>> with
>>> IE?

DaffyDŽ

Re: IE keeps closing with errors
How do you think the MSRT stacks up against spyware finders. I've read the
Windows firewall isn't very effective and I'm wondering if it's worth having
the MSRT if my other AV/spyware finders weren't able to nab whatever culprit
infiltrated my computer. I also couldn't see anything out of the ordinary
with Hijack This.

> Chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection (cf.
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=37919).

> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>
> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> logs in an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
>
> **Post your logs to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for

review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>
> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting

this
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> sweethaven wrote:
> > What I meant to say was that I ran Adaware program and it found 18
> > infections which were removed. I'm still experiencing the problem
> > everytime I try to close the browser itself or if I make a post, like

for
> > this newsgroup and a second window has to be opened. I do not recall
> > making any changes before last Sunday, after last Sunday I did install
> > some
> > programs that I would need to use.
> >
> > Any ideas as to what is going on?
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> "I've also ran a spyware scan which was not too bad..."
> >>
> >> My friend, a computer is either infected or not infected. You need to

be
> >> 100% free of all forms of malware.
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

IE

not

close

this

IE.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE keeps closing with errors
This article explains what MSRT is - and is not:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830

A firewall does not detect or remove malicious software.
"What is a Computer Firewall?"
http://www.antivirusware.com/article...s-firewall.htm

Is this complicated as all get-out and becoming more so everyday? As
Sarah Palin would say: Yup!

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est