REPAIR RESQUEST TO MICROSOFT: NEW - Internet Explorer 7 crashing!

Brianko722

REPAIR RESQUEST TO MICROSOFT: NEW - Internet Explorer 7 crashing!
All I get from Microsoft is the same, pre-written, canned email directing me
to Microsoft.com’s FAQs/troubleshooting pages, or fee-based tech support.
I HAVE ALREADY TRIED ALL OF THE SELF-HELP AND FAQS PAGES, AND DONE ALL THE
CORRECTIVE/TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS RECOMMENDED BY MICROSOFT, AS WELL AS
REINSTALLING INTERNET EXPLORER 7 (IE7) FROM SCRATCH, WITH NO RESOLUTION OF
THE PROBLEMS, SHOWN IN MY ORIGINAL MESSAGE, COPIED BELOW!
THIS IS A MICROSOFT-CREATED PROBLEM THAT DID NOT EXIST UNTIL APPROXIMATELY 2
WEEKS AGO -- IE7 WAS WORKING ABSOLUTELY FINE BEFORE THAT. THESE PROBLEMS ARE
MICROSOFT'S TO CORRECT FOR ALL OF ITS USERS/CUSTOMERS!
I submitted my request, as directed by Microsoft customer service online
chat, to the Microsoft website's online customer service email submission
form ---> TO BE FORWARDED TO MICROSOFT'S TECHNICAL ENGINEERING PERSONNEL
RESPONSIBLE FOR INTERNET EXPLORER 7 (IE7), AND ALL OF ITS UPDATES, PATCHES,
HOTFIXES, ETC., TO CORRECT THE PROBLEMS OUTLINED IN MY ORIGINAL MESSAGE.
Given how recently these problems started, there are problems with updates,
patches, hotfixes, etc., recently released by Microsoft that impact IE7,
regardless of how they adversely affect it, that either created this problem
because they were not tested adequately, properly, and thoroughly BY
MICROSOFT before release, and/or because they may well have undone previous
patches.
So, Microsoft technical engineering personnel must get IE7 repaired by doing
the necessary testing of it, and all recent updates, hotfixes, etc., which
Microsoft released that affect it, as well as any changes made that impact
IE7, and release NEW, restoration/repair updates, patches, etc., as needed,
to make IE7 useable and reliable again:

Re: REPAIR RESQUEST TO MICROSOFT: NEW - Internet Explorer 7 crashing!
WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?!? (Posting in all caps is considered SHOUTING here.)

If you just wanted to rant, stop here. Otherwise...

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

• Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
Add-ons; or

• Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet
Explorer (No add-ons).

2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
automatically returns you to IE6), and (b) uninstall any/all toolbars and
(c) uninstall any third-party Windows Theme (including Window Blinds) and
(d) you do NOT reinstall IE7, does this behavior persist?

NB: If it does, STOP HERE! Do NOT reinstall IE7, just reply to this post.

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall via Add/Remove Programs! It's safe to ignore any "such and such
may not work" warnings. Ignore any references to Vista on the webpage.]

Also see:

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

4. Assuming everything's OK in IE6, reinstall IE7 exactly per...

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install [Again, ignore any
references to Vista]

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Or use this Download link:
(Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.)

5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Software Updates category offers Root Certificates update, opt to install it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Brianko722 wrote:
> All I get from Microsoft is the same, pre-written, canned email directing
> me
> to Microsoft.com’s FAQs/troubleshooting pages, or fee-based tech support.
> I HAVE ALREADY TRIED ALL OF THE SELF-HELP AND FAQS PAGES, AND DONE ALL THE
> CORRECTIVE/TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS RECOMMENDED BY MICROSOFT, AS WELL AS
> REINSTALLING INTERNET EXPLORER 7 (IE7) FROM SCRATCH, WITH NO RESOLUTION OF
> THE PROBLEMS, SHOWN IN MY ORIGINAL MESSAGE, COPIED BELOW!
> THIS IS A MICROSOFT-CREATED PROBLEM THAT DID NOT EXIST UNTIL APPROXIMATELY
> 2
> WEEKS AGO -- IE7 WAS WORKING ABSOLUTELY FINE BEFORE THAT. THESE PROBLEMS
> ARE MICROSOFT'S TO CORRECT FOR ALL OF ITS USERS/CUSTOMERS!
> I submitted my request, as directed by Microsoft customer service online
> chat, to the Microsoft website's online customer service email submission
> form ---> TO BE FORWARDED TO MICROSOFT'S TECHNICAL ENGINEERING PERSONNEL
> RESPONSIBLE FOR INTERNET EXPLORER 7 (IE7), AND ALL OF ITS UPDATES,
> PATCHES,
> HOTFIXES, ETC., TO CORRECT THE PROBLEMS OUTLINED IN MY ORIGINAL MESSAGE.
> Given how recently these problems started, there are problems with
> updates,
> patches, hotfixes, etc., recently released by Microsoft that impact IE7,
> regardless of how they adversely affect it, that either created this
> problem
> because they were not tested adequately, properly, and thoroughly BY
> MICROSOFT before release, and/or because they may well have undone
> previous
> patches.
> So, Microsoft technical engineering personnel must get IE7 repaired by
> doing
> the necessary testing of it, and all recent updates, hotfixes, etc., which
> Microsoft released that affect it, as well as any changes made that impact
> IE7, and release NEW, restoration/repair updates, patches, etc., as
> needed,
> to make IE7 useable and reliable again:

Re: REPAIR REQUEST TO MICROSOFT: NEW - Internet Explorer 7 crashing
To be competely honest, with all of the run-around I got from trying to
call/write in to Microsoft, when I was just trying to notify them of the
issues with IE7 that I ended up putting in my post, I was extremely
exasperated. So, I WAS shouting. Sorry about that re: posting etiquette,
but Microsoft could stand to be appreciative, encouraging, and even grateful,
when a user calls in with issues MS needs to address, and pass it on the the
appropriate techncal folks - rather than telling the user the only way they
can get their message thru is by shelling out for MS's fee-based tech support
- talk about firewalls!

Anyway, I did try disabling all add-ons in IE7. The problem is that,
because the problem is random, I haven't - yet - stumbled upon any links that
have caused it to crash since. Because I need my active-X and toolbars for
various reasons, I re-activated my add-ons for now and - so far - IE7 has not
crashed. I have no idea if merely deactivating and reactivating add-ons,
without doing anything else, "fixed" the problems, or if I will again come
across IE7's random crashing and "disappearing toolbar."
If it does do these again, I will follow what you sent me to troubleshoot.
I also have the Microsoft webpage describing how to reactivate each add-on,
one at a time, if that's the problem, to isolate the one(s) causing the
problems.

However, I do feel that, regardless of my PC, especially due to the
randomness/unpredictability/lack of any error messages with these issues,
Microsoft needs to do research/take steps to ensure proper operation re: IE7,
and all updates, etc., since both of these problems are only 2 weeks old, and
started out-of-the-blue.

Meanwhile, thank you again for your help. I'm printing it out.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > Given how recently these problems started, there are problems with
> > updates,
> > patches, hotfixes, etc., recently released by Microsoft that impact IE7,
> > regardless of how they adversely affect it, that either created this
> > problem
> > because they were not tested adequately, properly, and thoroughly BY
> > MICROSOFT before release, and/or because they may well have undone
> > previous
> > patches.
> > So, Microsoft technical engineering personnel must get IE7 repaired by
> > doing
> > the necessary testing of it, and all recent updates, hotfixes, etc., which
> > Microsoft released that affect it, as well as any changes made that impact
> > IE7, and release NEW, restoration/repair updates, patches, etc., as

Jim

"Brianko722" <Brianko722@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > updates,
>> > patches, hotfixes, etc., recently released by Microsoft that impact
>> > IE7,
>> > regardless of how they adversely affect it, that either created this
>> > problem
>> > because they were not tested adequately, properly, and thoroughly BY
>> > MICROSOFT before release, and/or because they may well have undone
>> > previous
>> > patches.
>> > So, Microsoft technical engineering personnel must get IE7 repaired by
>> > doing
>> > the necessary testing of it, and all recent updates, hotfixes, etc.,
>> > which
>> > Microsoft released that affect it, as well as any changes made that
>> > impact
>> > IE7, and release NEW, restoration/repair updates, patches, etc., as

Surely you realise that this newsgroup is not a conduit to MS. Thus, you
are wasting time trying to get their attention by posting here.
IE7 works fine on my computers.
Jim

Re: REPAIR REQUEST TO MICROSOFT: NEW - Internet Explorer 7 crashing
YW. I've been running IE7 since the pre-beta in WinXP SP2 (now SP3) and
haven't ever encountered the problems you've been having. As such, what's
MS supposed to fix?

It's up to the provider of your Add-ons to make them compatible in IE7 and
your Windows version, not the other way around.

"Jim" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12,
> >> then
> >> STOP
> >> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install [Again, ignore any
> >> references to Vista]
> >>
> >> I strongly recommend using
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
> >> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update.
> >>
> >> Or use this Download link:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b
> >> (Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.)
> >>
> >> 5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
> >> reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
> >> Software Updates category offers Root Certificates update, opt to install
> >> it
> >> to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

My IE7 continues to crash and the toolbar continues to disappear.
If this is not a place to get the direct attention of MS research and
engineering for IE7, do you have any suggestions/know where I CAN post, call,
write, email, etc., without having to pay MS's fees, to find a direct conduit
to them/get their attention?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Brianko722

Re: REPAIR REQUEST TO MICROSOFT: NEW - Internet Explorer 7 crashi
What MS is supposed to fix is whatever is suddenly causing these problems
with IE7.
MS is not perfect. I have read about new updates, hotfixes, etc., undoing
previous ones inadvertently, or causing other havoc due to being inadequately
tested before release, or whatever, at MS's end. I have had problems in the
past due to just such situations. So, I have also read about, and have my PC
set, to review automatic updates before downloading and installing them.
Further, since before these problems started, I haven't changed anything
about my PC, including any add-ons. So, why would they all work fine up
until 2 weeks ago, and then suddenly IE7 starts crashing and its lower
toolbar starts disappearing - all randomly?
It does not follow that the problem is with my PC, since the only thing
that's changed is that MS has continued to send out its updates, and I have
all updates for IE7 installed, and have reinstalled IE7, when it runs the
Malicious Software Removal Tool, and makes sure all updates are installed
again. After reinstalling, even so, I have run Microsoft Updates to make
sure everything is up-to-date.
So, OK, IE7 runs fine on your PC. Mine was too until now. And, I've been
running Windows XP Pro since 2005 with no problems. Again, nothing has
changed about any of my add-ons.
So, given I'm not a computer engineer/technician, I don't know what MS needs
to do about this at their end, but that's why I'm trying to get thru to them
to research and test those automatic updates they've released recently for
any issues/conflicts/need for corrections.
After trying the troubleshooting you sent me before, I am more convinced MS
needs to do this auto-update research and testing.

Brianko722 wrote:
> What MS is supposed to fix is whatever is suddenly causing these problems
> with IE7.

<snippage>
> ...So, why would
> they all work fine up until 2 weeks ago, and then suddenly IE7 starts
> crashing and its lower toolbar starts disappearing - all randomly?

Hijackware infections? Norton or McAfee "leftovers" from incomplete
installs? A Flashplayer v10.x Add-on? An Adobe Reader 9 Add-ons?

> So, OK, IE7 runs fine on your PC. Mine was too until now.

See above. If you problems persist after uninstalling IE7 correctly, that's
a big clue!

news56E990E-E965-4375-A861-A41676080025@microsoft.com...

> "Jim" wrote:
>

>> "Brianko722" <Brianko722@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > To be competely honest, with all of the run-around I got from trying to
>> > call/write in to Microsoft, when I was just trying to notify them of
>> > the
>> > issues with IE7 that I ended up putting in my post, I was extremely
>> > exasperated. So, I WAS shouting. Sorry about that re: posting
>> > etiquette,
>> > but Microsoft could stand to be appreciative, encouraging, and even
>> > grateful,
>> > when a user calls in with issues MS needs to address, and pass it on
>> > the
>> > the
>> > appropriate techncal folks - rather than telling the user the only way
>> > they
>> > can get their message thru is by shelling out for MS's fee-based tech
>> > support
>> > - talk about firewalls!
>> >
>> > Anyway, I did try disabling all add-ons in IE7. The problem is that,
>> > because the problem is random, I haven't - yet - stumbled upon any
>> > links
>> > that
>> > have caused it to crash since. Because I need my active-X and toolbars
>> > for
>> > various reasons, I re-activated my add-ons for now and - so far - IE7
>> > has
>> > not
>> > crashed. I have no idea if merely deactivating and reactivating
>> > add-ons,
>> > without doing anything else, "fixed" the problems, or if I will again
>> > come
>> > across IE7's random crashing and "disappearing toolbar."
>> > If it does do these again, I will follow what you sent me to
>> > troubleshoot.
>> > I also have the Microsoft webpage describing how to reactivate each
>> > add-on,
>> > one at a time, if that's the problem, to isolate the one(s) causing the
>> > problems.
>> >
>> > However, I do feel that, regardless of my PC, especially due to the
>> > randomness/unpredictability/lack of any error messages with these
>> > issues,
>> > Microsoft needs to do research/take steps to ensure proper operation
>> > re:
>> > IE7,
>> > and all updates, etc., since both of these problems are only 2 weeks
>> > old,
>> > and
>> > started out-of-the-blue.
>> >
>> > Meanwhile, thank you again for your help. I'm printing it out.
>> >
>> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I don't believe that there is such a place.
Jim

Brianko722

Re: REPAIR REQUEST TO MICROSOFT: NEW - Internet Explorer 7 crashi
OK, thanks for the ideas - these are all things that have add-ons, BHO's,
etc. Anything else I might try uninstalling and reinstalliing along with
IE7, toolbars, and Adobe's stuff? What about Java?

By the way: I understand about hijackers and other such infoections,
registry & files fragments/orphaned entires, etc., but my McAfee, Adobe, and
Java installations have been working fine, so I'm still wondering how a
change to my PC could have happned so recently, when I haven't done any
updating/made changes to any of these in the timeframe I'm talking about =
+/-2 weeks.