IE7 sometimes won't connect

plmurray

IE7 sometimes won't connect
IE7 frequently displays "connecting..." but it lies, it does not connect, nor
use any significant system resources.
If I cancel it and try again it frequently works the second time.
Outlook Express and Firefox do not exhibit the problem.
The problem occurs with or without the router in my house.
I connect to a cable service using Automatic detect setting on the LAN, and
never using Dial up.
I use IE 7.0.5730.13IS, XP Home SP3 with automatic updates.
I use Zone Alarm 8, AVG 8 and Spybot 1.6.
What more can I say?
Can anybody help?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE7 sometimes won't connect

"plmurray" <plmurray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:537ABE12-0AD1-49A8-A2A7-3EC32F237D3F@microsoft.com...
> IE7 frequently displays "connecting..." but it lies, it does not connect, nor
> use any significant system resources.
> If I cancel it and try again it frequently works the second time.
> Outlook Express and Firefox do not exhibit the problem.
> The problem occurs with or without the router in my house.

> I connect to a cable service using Automatic detect setting on the LAN,

Why? Were you told to do so by your ISP? If not, don't use that option.

> and never using Dial up.
> I use IE 7.0.5730.13IS, XP Home SP3 with automatic updates.
> I use Zone Alarm 8, AVG 8 and Spybot 1.6.
> What more can I say?
> Can anybody help?

plmurray

Re: IE7 sometimes won't connect
Thanks for your reply, Robert.

Yes, my ISP expects me to use Automatic detect as I believe the modem
(and/or the router) generates a TCP/IP address which, I believe, varies.

As you can see I am not too sure about the details, but I am sure that on
Connections / LAN Settings I must use Automatically detect settings.

I await futher guidance, if someone is kind enough to help.

plmurray

On Jan 31, 7:50*pm, plmurray <plmur...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, Robert.
>
> Yes, my ISP expects me to use Automatic detect as I believe the modem
> (and/or the router) generates a TCP/IP address which, I believe, varies.
>
> As you can see I amnottoo sure about the details, but I am sure that on
> Connections / LAN Settings I must use Automatically detect settings.
>
> I await futher guidance, if someone is kind enough to help.
>
> plmurray
>

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
> > "plmurray" <plmur...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messagenews:537ABE12-0AD1-49A8-A2A7-3EC32F237D3F@microsoft.com...
> > >IE7frequently displays "connecting..." but it lies, it doesnotconnect,nor
> > > use any significant system resources.
> > > If I cancel it and try again it frequently works the second time.
> > > Outlook Express and Firefox donotexhibit the problem.
> > > The problem occurs with or without the router in my house.

> > > I connect to a cable service using Automatic detect setting on the LAN,

> > Why? *Were you told to do so by your ISP? * Ifnot, don't use that option.

> > > and never using Dial up.
> > > I use IE 7.0.5730.13IS, XP Home SP3 with automatic updates.
> > > I use Zone Alarm 8, AVG 8 and Spybot 1.6.
> > > What more can I say?
> > > Can anybody help?- Hide quoted text -

Having same issue, just started today, not sure why. Sometimes it
will conenct fine, others it sits "connecting". Tried the IE8 beta
and same issue. Firefox works fine, as does all other net
connections.

I've tried turning off add-ons and still same problem.

Vista 64.
Kenneth

Re: IE7 sometimes won't connect
On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 14:01:39 -0800 (PST), "..."
<schooner@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jan 31, 7:50*pm, plmurray <plmur...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>wrote:
>> Thanks for your reply, Robert.
>>
>> Yes, my ISP expects me to use Automatic detect as I believe the modem
>> (and/or the router) generates a TCP/IP address which, I believe, varies.
>>
>> As you can see I amnottoo sure about the details, but I am sure that on
>> Connections / LAN Settings I must use Automatically detect settings.
>>
>> I await futher guidance, if someone is kind enough to help.
>>
>> plmurray

>> > Why? *Were you told to do so by your ISP? * Ifnot, don't use that option.

>Having same issue, just started today, not sure why. Sometimes it
>will conenct fine, others it sits "connecting". Tried the IE8 beta
>and same issue. Firefox works fine, as does all other net
>connections.
>
>I've tried turning off add-ons and still same problem.
>
>Vista 64.

Howdy,

To the OP...

I had the problem you describe with XP.

Eventually I found that by disabling SpyBot Configuration,
and SpyBot IE Protection, all returned to normal.

Perhaps you have tried this, but it seems it's worth a shot.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

I.C. Greenfields

"Kenneth" <usenet@soleSPAMLESSassociates.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 14:01:39 -0800 (PST), "..."
> <schooner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Jan 31, 7:50 pm, plmurray <plmur...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>>wrote:
>>> Thanks for your reply, Robert.
>>>
>>> Yes, my ISP expects me to use Automatic detect as I believe the modem
>>> (and/or the router) generates a TCP/IP address which, I believe, varies.
>>>
>>> As you can see I amnottoo sure about the details, but I am sure that on
>>> Connections / LAN Settings I must use Automatically detect settings.
>>>
>>> I await futher guidance, if someone is kind enough to help.
>>>
>>> plmurray

>>Having same issue, just started today, not sure why. Sometimes it
>>will conenct fine, others it sits "connecting". Tried the IE8 beta
>>and same issue. Firefox works fine, as does all other net
>>connections.
>>
>>I've tried turning off add-ons and still same problem.
>>
>>Vista 64.

> Howdy,
>
> To the OP...
>
> I had the problem you describe with XP.
>
> Eventually I found that by disabling SpyBot Configuration,
> and SpyBot IE Protection, all returned to normal.
>
> Perhaps you have tried this, but it seems it's worth a shot.

That didn't work for me. I.E. has been a constant headache since we bought
this PC with Vista.

> All the best,
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

plmurray

RE: IE7 sometimes won't connect
I might be able to answer my own question.

In a fit of paranoia I installed Malwarebytes and Super Anti-Spyware in
addition to (Free) AVG, (Free) Zone Alarm and Spybot.

After scanning my machine I disabled both these new additions, including
removing the startup entry when the computer boots. (Which is why I did not
mention them in the first place) However there must still have been the
shadow of some alteration lurking in the nether regions of my machine.

I have now uninstalled Malwarebytes and Super Anti-Spyware and the problem
seems to have gone away. As the connection problem was always only ever
intermittent it is hard to know if it has gone away completely. But it does
seem to have improved.

Thanks, guys, for your interest and suggestions.

plmurray

"plmurray" wrote:

> IE7 frequently displays "connecting..." but it lies, it does not connect, nor
> use any significant system resources.
> If I cancel it and try again it frequently works the second time.
> Outlook Express and Firefox do not exhibit the problem.
> The problem occurs with or without the router in my house.
> I connect to a cable service using Automatic detect setting on the LAN, and
> never using Dial up.
> I use IE 7.0.5730.13IS, XP Home SP3 with automatic updates.
> I use Zone Alarm 8, AVG 8 and Spybot 1.6.
> What more can I say?
> Can anybody help?

plmurray

RE: IE7 sometimes won't connect
I now think I might be up for the record for the longest running desultory
thread.

Despite removing unwanted cleansing software I still get the intermittent
problem of connection failing.

Can I again ask for help from out there? Can any one Bear to help, for
instance?

In anticipation.

Peter Murray
indulgere caelestis est

"plmurray" wrote:

> I might be able to answer my own question.
>
> In a fit of paranoia I installed Malwarebytes and Super Anti-Spyware in
> addition to (Free) AVG, (Free) Zone Alarm and Spybot.
>
> After scanning my machine I disabled both these new additions, including
> removing the startup entry when the computer boots. (Which is why I did not
> mention them in the first place) However there must still have been the
> shadow of some alteration lurking in the nether regions of my machine.
>
> I have now uninstalled Malwarebytes and Super Anti-Spyware and the problem
> seems to have gone away. As the connection problem was always only ever
> intermittent it is hard to know if it has gone away completely. But it does
> seem to have improved.
>
> Thanks, guys, for your interest and suggestions.
>
> plmurray
>
> "plmurray" wrote:
>
> > IE7 frequently displays "connecting..." but it lies, it does not connect, nor
> > use any significant system resources.
> > If I cancel it and try again it frequently works the second time.
> > Outlook Express and Firefox do not exhibit the problem.
> > The problem occurs with or without the router in my house.
> > I connect to a cable service using Automatic detect setting on the LAN, and
> > never using Dial up.
> > I use IE 7.0.5730.13IS, XP Home SP3 with automatic updates.
> > I use Zone Alarm 8, AVG 8 and Spybot 1.6.
> > What more can I say?
> > Can anybody help?

Larry

Re: IE7 sometimes won't connect
Peter,

Do you have Firefox running when you try to connect with IE7? I had the
same connection problem and if I closed FF2, then IE7 would immediately
connect OK. This happened on every occasion that I tested it. I upgraded
to Firefox 3.0.0.6 and IE has worked since.
When my IE7 wouldn't connect, down at the lower left corner, it would say
'connecting to 127.0.0.1' whenever it failed. Several other incidents if
you google it.

Cheers,
Larry

"plmurray" wrote:

> I might be able to answer my own question.
>
> In a fit of paranoia I installed Malwarebytes and Super Anti-Spyware in
> addition to (Free) AVG, (Free) Zone Alarm and Spybot.
>
> After scanning my machine I disabled both these new additions, including
> removing the startup entry when the computer boots. (Which is why I did
> not
> mention them in the first place) However there must still have been the
> shadow of some alteration lurking in the nether regions of my machine.
>
> I have now uninstalled Malwarebytes and Super Anti-Spyware and the problem
> seems to have gone away. As the connection problem was always only ever
> intermittent it is hard to know if it has gone away completely. But it
> does
> seem to have improved.
>
> Thanks, guys, for your interest and suggestions.
>
> plmurray
>
> "plmurray" wrote:
>
> > IE7 frequently displays "connecting..." but it lies, it does not
> > connect, nor
> > use any significant system resources.
> > If I cancel it and try again it frequently works the second time.
> > Outlook Express and Firefox do not exhibit the problem.
> > The problem occurs with or without the router in my house.
> > I connect to a cable service using Automatic detect setting on the LAN,
> > and
> > never using Dial up.
> > I use IE 7.0.5730.13IS, XP Home SP3 with automatic updates.
> > I use Zone Alarm 8, AVG 8 and Spybot 1.6.
> > What more can I say?
> > Can anybody help?

plmurray

Re: IE7 sometimes won't connect
Thanks, Larry.

No, I don't generally have Firefox running when I get failures to connect
with IE7. I can't see any patttern, sometimes it works OK, sometimes it
doesn't. Frequently, but not always, it works OK the second time, whether or
not I have cancelled the first one. I have FF 3.0.6. - which I believe is
the current latest version.

My IE7 screen is just blank - the field says 'Connecting...' but it does not
respond, does not communicate, and does not use any processor. I have to use
Task Manager to get rid of it.

It is a mystery.

But thanks for responding anyway.

Peter Murray