AOL connectivity

Edwin M

AOL connectivity
I have a new system running Vista and Internet Explorer 7 and a wireless
connection. I cannot get my AOL e-mail without turning off the security in
Explorer 7 and that makes me nervous. Any ideas?
--
Ed

Re: AOL connectivity
Without turning off what security?

Edwin M wrote:
> I have a new system running Vista and Internet Explorer 7 and a wireless
> connection. I cannot get my AOL e-mail without turning off the security
> in
> Explorer 7 and that makes me nervous. Any ideas?

Edwin M

Re: AOL connectivity
Sorry. I should have been more specific. At the suggestion of Sony support,
I went to internet options/security/ and unchecked the Enable Protected Mode.
That just doesn't seem like the right thing to do. Thanks,
--
Ed

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Without turning off what security?
>
> Edwin M wrote:
> > I have a new system running Vista and Internet Explorer 7 and a wireless
> > connection. I cannot get my AOL e-mail without turning off the security
> > in
> > Explorer 7 and that makes me nervous. Any ideas?

WizOfOdd

Re: AOL connectivity
You may be able to allow your AOL site by setting it as an "allowed site."
In IE, click Tools, Internet Options. On the Privacy tab, click the Sites
button. Type (or paste) the URL for the AOL site there and click Allow. That
will enter the site name as a "trusted site" which should permit you to
access it without lowering security settings for other sites.
AOL is notorious for "unusual features," and I don't use it; but this method
works elsewhere.

"Edwin M" wrote:

> Sorry. I should have been more specific. At the suggestion of Sony support,
> I went to internet options/security/ and unchecked the Enable Protected Mode.
> That just doesn't seem like the right thing to do. Thanks,
> --
> Ed
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Without turning off what security?
> >
> > Edwin M wrote:
> > > I have a new system running Vista and Internet Explorer 7 and a wireless
> > > connection. I cannot get my AOL e-mail without turning off the security
> > > in
> > > Explorer 7 and that makes me nervous. Any ideas?

Edwin M

Re: AOL connectivity
Thanks. Didn't work. I should say that Firefox works just fine getting to
my AOL mail.
--
Ed

"WizOfOdd" wrote:

> You may be able to allow your AOL site by setting it as an "allowed site."
> In IE, click Tools, Internet Options. On the Privacy tab, click the Sites
> button. Type (or paste) the URL for the AOL site there and click Allow. That
> will enter the site name as a "trusted site" which should permit you to
> access it without lowering security settings for other sites.
> AOL is notorious for "unusual features," and I don't use it; but this method
> works elsewhere.
>
> "Edwin M" wrote:
>
> > Sorry. I should have been more specific. At the suggestion of Sony support,
> > I went to internet options/security/ and unchecked the Enable Protected Mode.
> > That just doesn't seem like the right thing to do. Thanks,
> > --
> > Ed
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > Without turning off what security?

Re: AOL connectivity
I would not recommend disabling Protected Mode or UAC, Edwin.

You may be better off posting your Protected Mode/UAC questions in this
newsgroup instead: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

References include...

Explore the features: Internet Explorer Protected Mode:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...cted-mode.aspx

What does Internet Explorer protected mode do? - Windows Vista Help:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...013031033.mspx

Protected Mode in Vista IE7:

Explore the features: User Account Control
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...t-control.aspx

How to use User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922708

Best of luck.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/