Throughout the Internet, even Microsoft Knowledge base, nothing was found to resolve this issue.
I use IE8 Beta 2, WinXp SP3.
Suddenly IE8 would not open any MHT or MHTML file.
IE cannot open any MHT or MHTML file stored on a local disk. IE either shows "navigation canceled" page or it shows the source code or HTML code of the MHT / MHTML file. Either way the file will not render properly in IE.
When these symptoms occur, the simplest or basic solution is ensure that the file associations are properly set up in the Windows Operating system.
1. Open any file folder or Windows Explorer
2. Click "Tools" in the top menu
3. Click "Folder Options"
4. If MHT and/or MHTML file association exists in the list, delete them.
5. Click "New" button
6. Type "MHT" in the file extension field box
7. Click "Advanced" button
8. Scroll and find listed - "MHTML Document", click it.
9. Click OK
10. Windows File associations create the MHT file association, usually with the correct ICON.
11. Repeat steps for MHTML extension.
This should fix the problem.
What if you already used the "Open" and "open with program" method and associated the MHT file extension but cannot see it in the file association list?
1. Start with steps 5-10 above for either or both the MHT or MHTML extension.
2. Scroll the file associations to find the MHT or MHTML extension. Click "restore".
3. The file extension is no longer lost, and it is completely reset as the default.
Now IE opens the MHT or MHTML files properly.
EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice