can't read chm files

garik

can't read chm files
I can't read chm files even those downloaded from Microsoft. I've tried IE 8
beta that I use and Firefox 3 with special add-on for chm files reading.
I've read MSDN page abot the problem but simple recipe did not help and I am
afraid of regedit use. I have Windows XP Home with sp3 on my comp.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: can't read chm files

"garik" <ragm63@si.rr.com> wrote in message news:%2307i9tLeJHA.4412@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>I can't read chm files even those downloaded from Microsoft. I've tried IE 8 beta that I use and Firefox 3 with special add-on for
>chm files reading.

> I've read MSDN page abot the problem but simple recipe did not help

What "simple recipe"?

> and I am afraid of regedit use. I have Windows XP Home with sp3 on my comp.

I don't know what registry hack you would have found about this.
The usual answer is to unblock the protection applied to the downloaded
file (e.g. via right-click Properties).

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

garik

Re: can't read chm files

> "garik" <ragm63@si.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I can't read chm files even those downloaded from Microsoft. I've tried IE
>>8 beta that I use and Firefox 3 with special add-on for chm files reading.

>> I've read MSDN page abot the problem but simple recipe did not help

> What "simple recipe"?
>

>> and I am afraid of regedit use. I have Windows XP Home with sp3 on my
>> comp.

> I don't know what registry hack you would have found about this.
> The usual answer is to unblock the protection applied to the downloaded
> file (e.g. via right-click Properties).
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225/

Resolution for end users
Warning If you are prompted to open or to save a .chm file from a Web site,
you should do so only if you need the file and if you trust the Web site
that is providing the file.

In the File Download dialog box, click Save, and then choose where you want
to save the .chm file. Then, use one of the following methods:
Method 1
1.. Double-click the .chm file.
2.. In the Open File-Security Warning dialog box, click to clear the
Always ask before opening this file check box.
3.. Click Open.
Method 2
1.. Right-click the CHM file, and then click Properties.
2.. Click Unblock.
3.. Double-click the .chm file to open the file.
To my pity there is no Open File-Security Warning dialog box after file
clicking and I can't Click Unblock because there is no Unblock on open
Properties.

Allan

Re: can't read chm files

"garik" <ragm63@si.rr.com> wrote in message
>I can't read chm files even those downloaded from Microsoft. I've tried IE
>8 beta that I use and Firefox 3 with special add-on for chm files reading.
>I've read MSDN page abot the problem but simple recipe did not help and I
>am afraid of regedit use. I have Windows XP Home with sp3 on my comp.

Can you open .chm files that are installed as part of Windows or other
third-party applications? Look in your Windows directory for `\help'
folders; there may be some .chm files installed there. I have the same OS as
you and am not having this problem at all. I have compiled .chm files such
as software documentation that comes with appications without problems using
the Help Workshop tool available in Windows downloads.

rob^_^

Re: can't read chm files
Hi Allan,

Reply to questions on the same thread they are created on.

OP's (original posters) will not be able to find the new threads that you
have created.

The > characters on the RHS indicate quoted content from the previous knots
on the thread.

Regards.

> Hi Allan,
>
> Reply to questions on the same thread they are created on.
>
> OP's (original posters) will not be able to find the new threads that you
> have created.
>
> The > characters on the RHS indicate quoted content from the previous
> knots on the thread.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Allan" <mu8ja0i@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "garik" <ragm63@si.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>I can't read chm files even those downloaded from Microsoft. I've tried
>>>IE 8 beta that I use and Firefox 3 with special add-on for chm files
>>>reading. I've read MSDN page abot the problem but simple recipe did not
>>>help and I am afraid of regedit use. I have Windows XP Home with sp3 on
>>>my comp.

>> Can you open .chm files that are installed as part of Windows or other
>> third-party applications? Look in your Windows directory for `\help'
>> folders; there may be some .chm files installed there. I have the same OS
>> as you and am not having this problem at all. I have compiled .chm files
>> such as software documentation that comes with appications without
>> problems using the Help Workshop tool available in Windows downloads.

Err, what are you actually trying to say? I did reply to the OP's thread . I
am using Outlook Express and the tree of this thread displays inside OE as
follows: "garik, Robert, garik, Allan. 'rob^_^ '". I know what the nested
arrow levels on the left hand side indicate.
Thanks for your reply.