Problem with IE7

Dave

Problem with IE7

Hi I've had a problem with IE7 now for quite a while. It won't browse pages
correctly and comes up with a message saying 'page can't be displayed'. A
friend advised me to update Java and flash player but it won't load those
pages properly or allow the update. When I go to the adobe page, I get a
message stating 'platform not supported'. I was advised to look in the
advanced tab of internet properties to make sure java was enabled but the
'java' section is missing. I have resorted to using safari as my main
browser, but I want to return to IE. Can anyone help?

Kayman

Re: Problem with IE7
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 06:18:12 -0000, Dave wrote:

> Hi I've had a problem with IE7 now for quite a while. It won't browse pages
> correctly and comes up with a message saying 'page can't be displayed'. A
> friend advised me to update Java and flash player but it won't load those
> pages properly or allow the update. When I go to the adobe page, I get a
> message stating 'platform not supported'. I was advised to look in the
> advanced tab of internet properties to make sure java was enabled but the
> 'java' section is missing. I have resorted to using safari as my main
> browser, but I want to return to IE. Can anyone help?

Assume you're on WinXP.

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer¢s (No Add-ons) Mode:

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Read: "What you must know"
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and
Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

Still not successful?

How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

To uninstall IE 7 (which returns you to IE 6) follow these directions:

Start, Settings, Control Panel then click Add or Remove Programs, locate
IE7 and uninstall it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
....and...
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

If you upgraded to IE 7 'before' you applied SP 3, you'll have to
uninstall SP 3 first.

Pay close attention!

Read this before installing IE7:
Sandi's Installation Tips: 1 thru 8, 10 and 11, note 12 that's it.

Do not use Automatic/Windows Update for downloading/installing IE7!

Use this link instead:
Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP:

Save the program to your desktop then install.

Activate Windows Update after installing IE7 to download/install pertinent
updates offered, including Root Certificates updates.

Good luck
Gerhard

RE: Problem with IE7
I have the same problems with IE7 lost menubar and toolbar,Games in start up
menu . It seems to be a problem, but the microsoft boffins won't do anything
about it. Tried to uninstall and reinstall IE7 , but finish up with the same
old mess. Running Safari for my internet browsing. Will be in future be Very
carefull with any Microsoft up dates. Wish I had not tried to update and left
it with the old tried and true settings.

"Dave" wrote:

> Hi I've had a problem with IE7 now for quite a while. It won't browse pages
> correctly and comes up with a message saying 'page can't be displayed'. A
> friend advised me to update Java and flash player but it won't load those
> pages properly or allow the update. When I go to the adobe page, I get a
> message stating 'platform not supported'. I was advised to look in the
> advanced tab of internet properties to make sure java was enabled but the
> 'java' section is missing. I have resorted to using safari as my main
> browser, but I want to return to IE. Can anyone help?

Tony

Re: Problem with IE7
Thanks for the help but I'm actually on vista ultimate on a dell dimension
pc. I can't uninstall IE7 because it is built in to the OS. Could I please
have some help with this issue. Thanks
"Kayman" <kayhkay-nospam-@operamail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 06:18:12 -0000, Dave wrote:
>
>> Hi I've had a problem with IE7 now for quite a while. It won't browse
>> pages
>> correctly and comes up with a message saying 'page can't be displayed'. A
>> friend advised me to update Java and flash player but it won't load those
>> pages properly or allow the update. When I go to the adobe page, I get a
>> message stating 'platform not supported'. I was advised to look in the
>> advanced tab of internet properties to make sure java was enabled but the
>> 'java' section is missing. I have resorted to using safari as my main
>> browser, but I want to return to IE. Can anyone help?

> Assume you're on WinXP.
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer¢s (No Add-ons) Mode:
>
> How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
> Read: "What you must know"
> Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and
> Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
>
> Still not successful?
>
> How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
>
> To uninstall IE 7 (which returns you to IE 6) follow these directions:
>
> Start, Settings, Control Panel then click Add or Remove Programs, locate
> IE7 and uninstall it.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
> ...and...
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>
> If you upgraded to IE 7 'before' you applied SP 3, you'll have to
> uninstall SP 3 first.
>
> Pay close attention!
>
> Read this before installing IE7:
> Sandi's Installation Tips: 1 thru 8, 10 and 11, note 12 that's it.
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install
>
> Do not use Automatic/Windows Update for downloading/installing IE7!
>
> Use this link instead:
> Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b
>
> Save the program to your desktop then install.
>
> Activate Windows Update after installing IE7 to download/install pertinent
> updates offered, including Root Certificates updates.
>
> Good luck

Re: Problem with IE7
posting to this newsgroup. (Your headers suggest Vista SP1.)

Is the machine fully patched at Windows Update? Can you run Windows Update
manually?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Dave wrote:
> Hi I've had a problem with IE7 now for quite a while. It won't browse
> pages
> correctly and comes up with a message saying 'page can't be displayed'. A
> friend advised me to update Java and flash player but it won't load those
> pages properly or allow the update. When I go to the adobe page, I get a
> message stating 'platform not supported'. I was advised to look in the
> advanced tab of internet properties to make sure java was enabled but the
> 'java' section is missing. I have resorted to using safari as my main
> browser, but I want to return to IE. Can anyone help?

Tony

Re: Problem with IE7
It is Vista SP1 and fully patched. I can run windows update manually. I use
zone alarm security suite and have never used any other suite. the pc did
not come with a preinstalled suite
> posting to this newsgroup. (Your headers suggest Vista SP1.)
>
> Is the machine fully patched at Windows Update? Can you run Windows
> Update manually?

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Dave wrote:
>> Hi I've had a problem with IE7 now for quite a while. It won't browse
>> pages
>> correctly and comes up with a message saying 'page can't be displayed'. A
>> friend advised me to update Java and flash player but it won't load those
>> pages properly or allow the update. When I go to the adobe page, I get a
>> message stating 'platform not supported'. I was advised to look in the
>> advanced tab of internet properties to make sure java was enabled but the
>> 'java' section is missing. I have resorted to using safari as my main
>> browser, but I want to return to IE. Can anyone help?

Re: Problem with IE7
Worth a try:

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking ZA firewall's settings don't help, try the following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable ZA firewall
AND THEN enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall both "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7
(KB960714)" *and* "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7
(KB958215)" via Control Panel | Security | Windows Update | View installed
updates, then Reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Run Windows Update manually and install any Important updates offered
(i.e., KB960714; KB958215). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.

Test.

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 12:25:38 -0000, Tony wrote:

> Thanks for the help but I'm actually on vista ultimate on a dell dimension
> pc. I can't uninstall IE7 because it is built in to the OS. Could I please
> have some help with this issue. Thanks

1. Check version here:
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/
or
Version test for Adobe Flash Player.
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...fm?id=tn_15507

2. How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control.
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...nalId=tn_14157
Direct link:
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/f...ash_player.exe

2a. Alternatively, uninstall "Adobe Flash Player Active X" in Control
Panel\Add or Remove Programs, if it exists.

3. Reboot

4. Install Adobe Flash Player.
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash
or
Adobe Flash Player.
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/
Direct link:
http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get...r_active_x.msi

5. Reboot

6. Check version here:
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/
or
Version test for Adobe Flash Player.
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...fm?id=tn_15507

Still no luck?

Flash Support Forums
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...cfm?forumid=15

Re Java
http://sourceforge.net/projects/javara/
JavaRa at http://raproducts.org/
http://raproducts.org/javara.html

It's a neat little free utility that removes all remnants of Java. I used
it and it worked easy. Just unzip it and run it.

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Read: "What you must know"
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and
Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

Good luck
Tony

Re: Problem with IE7
I've tried all the steps outlined. The problem is still there. I hope you
did not think I get the error message all the time. I don't. however pages
that load do not load correctly. The problem with java and flash is also
still there. Can you help any further? I did install ie8 a few months ago
hoping it would solve the problem but it was exactly the same.

Thanks
> Worth a try:
>
> Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
> Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
>
> If tweaking ZA firewall's settings don't help, try the following:
>
> 1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided
> by an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes
> Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable ZA
> firewall AND THEN enable the Windows Firewall.
>
> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online
> (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your
> anti-virus application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free
> firewall, you may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.
>
> 2. Uninstall both "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7
> (KB960714)" *and* "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7
> (KB958215)" via Control Panel | Security | Windows Update | View installed
> updates, then Reboot.
>
> 3. Re-do #1 above.
>
> 4. Run Windows Update manually and install any Important updates offered
> (i.e., KB960714; KB958215). If a Root Certificates update is listed in
> the Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
> enhanced security.
>
> 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
> applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
> third-party firewall.
>
> Test.
>
> Tony wrote:
>> It is Vista SP1 and fully patched. I can run windows update manually. I
>> use
>> zone alarm security suite and have never used any other suite. the pc did
>> not come with a preinstalled suite
>>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>>> posting to this newsgroup. (Your headers suggest Vista SP1.)
>>>
>>> Is the machine fully patched at Windows Update? Can you run Windows
>>> Update manually?
>>>

>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>>
>>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Problem with IE7
Cite a few examples of pages (URLs) where you're encountering problems,
Tony.

By any chance is it a Vista x64 machine?

Is ZAISS the only security suite, anti-virus application, and/or third-party
firewall that's ever been installed on the machine?

Did Vista SP1 come preinstalled on the machine or did you install SP1? If
the latter, did you install it via Windows Update or manually? Was ZAISS
running in the background when you installed SP1?