Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Grayed out Icons/pictures

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2009
wewe
 

Posts: n/a
Grayed out Icons/pictures
Recently on one of my computers, on my.yahoo page and the weather channel
page, I'm getting grayed out boxes where either icons or small pictures, like
clouds, rain, snow on the weather channel current weather page should be.
On another computer all icons and small pictures appear correctly.
Using IE7.0.5730.11. Any ideas what to do to fix?
--
wewe
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2009
Don Varnau
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Grayed out Icons/pictures
Hi,
First, clear the Temporary Internet Files.

Look through settings/options of any third-party security/privacy programs
for an ad-blocking feature. See if that's the culprit.

Try the file association fix for GIF files at
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"wewe" <wewe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:ECE05738-2AF3-4577-B55D-C1E7BF8366AA@microsoft.com...
> Recently on one of my computers, on my.yahoo page and the weather channel
> page, I'm getting grayed out boxes where either icons or small pictures,

like
> clouds, rain, snow on the weather channel current weather page should be.
> On another computer all icons and small pictures appear correctly.
> Using IE7.0.5730.11. Any ideas what to do to fix?
> -
> wewe


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2009
wewe
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Grayed out Icons/pictures
Thanks, That was a partial help. I'm still getting the grayed out boxes on
the my.yahoo page and I have submitted comments to them on their "Reporting
My Yahoo! Module Technical issues / Bugs " page area.
Apparently some of the issue was with a dial up modem compression program
(named Propel). I clear temporary files daily from internet explorer. Propel
also uses temporary internet files for compression purposes and they
discourage you from clearing them (since it is part of their speed up process
I suppose). However, when I cleared them, the weather.com (previously grayed
out box) info now appears correctly. However, the my.yahoo page is still has
the grayed out boxes as originally described. Hopefully, yahoo engineers may
look at what I submitted and could suggest the rest of the fix.
--
wewe


"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> First, clear the Temporary Internet Files.
>
> Look through settings/options of any third-party security/privacy programs
> for an ad-blocking feature. See if that's the culprit.
>
> Try the file association fix for GIF files at
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "wewe" <wewe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:ECE05738-2AF3-4577-B55D-C1E7BF8366AA@microsoft.com...
> > Recently on one of my computers, on my.yahoo page and the weather channel
> > page, I'm getting grayed out boxes where either icons or small pictures,

> like
> > clouds, rain, snow on the weather channel current weather page should be.
> > On another computer all icons and small pictures appear correctly.
> > Using IE7.0.5730.11. Any ideas what to do to fix?
> > -
> > wewe

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2009
Don Varnau
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Grayed out Icons/pictures
Hi,
Does the problem go away if you disable Propel?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"wewe" <wewe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E44CDE90-A5AC-4886-81F2-DECD14D94452@microsoft.com...
> Thanks, That was a partial help. I'm still getting the grayed out boxes on
> the my.yahoo page and I have submitted comments to them on their

"Reporting
> My Yahoo! Module Technical issues / Bugs " page area.
> Apparently some of the issue was with a dial up modem compression program
> (named Propel). I clear temporary files daily from internet explorer.

Propel
> also uses temporary internet files for compression purposes and they
> discourage you from clearing them (since it is part of their speed up

process
> I suppose). However, when I cleared them, the weather.com (previously

grayed
> out box) info now appears correctly. However, the my.yahoo page is still

has
> the grayed out boxes as originally described. Hopefully, yahoo engineers

may
> look at what I submitted and could suggest the rest of the fix.
> -
> wewe


> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > First, clear the Temporary Internet Files.
> >
> > Look through settings/options of any third-party security/privacy

programs
> > for an ad-blocking feature. See if that's the culprit.
> >
> > Try the file association fix for GIF files at
> > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm


> > "wewe" <wewe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:ECE05738-2AF3-4577-B55D-C1E7BF8366AA@microsoft.com...
> > > Recently on one of my computers, on my.yahoo page and the weather

channel
> > > page, I'm getting grayed out boxes where either icons or small

pictures,
> > like
> > > clouds, rain, snow on the weather channel current weather page should

be.
> > > On another computer all icons and small pictures appear correctly.
> > > Using IE7.0.5730.11. Any ideas what to do to fix?
> > > -
> > > wewe


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Icons in Pictures folders Barcar microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 0 06-10-2008 17:07
Viewing Pictures / Icons Memail microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 03-29-2008 12:00
Icons in system tray grayed out Ernie Lane microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 10-19-2007 19:23
HUGE fonts/pictures/icons after changes ALP microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 08-29-2007 03:06
Thumnail pictures on icons in eplorer danhackley@hotmail.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 03-01-2007 08:54




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:36.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120