IE 7 and 8 layout

DIslandGuy

IE 7 and 8 layout
The funtionality is great! My feedback is about the layout.

It seems that Microsoft's approach to upgrading their software is to make it
less customizable, rather than more. For example, all the tool buttons used
to be able to be moved to wherever the user preferred. That is no longer the
case, and this is the same for Office 2007, and Vista. This is backwards
thinking since the mainstream is going the other way. People want to be able
to customize their layout for what works best for them. Another aspect of
this Microsoft approach is that it's taking up more vertical space, while
monitors are typically getting shorter and wider, so horizontal tools would
make more sense.

For IE 6, I could put the menu bar, tools, add ons, etc on the same
horizontal bar as the address bar. That is no longer the case so i have to
use another horizontal bar to do this, taking up more valuable vertical
space. Why do i need the address bar spanning the entire length of the
horizontal screen? Most addresses are short and the extra text afterwards
does not need to be seen. IE 7 was bad, IE 8 is even worse. Now my
favorites/links are on one horizontal bar below the address bar, and my add
ons have to be on another! What's going on?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 7 and 8 layout
I do not know, and neither do you, what Microsoft's approach is to
upgrading their software. But if I had to guess, I would say that
practical considerations, like stepped up security and improved
compatibility with standards, matter more than eye candy. IE 7 is far
from perfect, but it's a great improvement over IE 6 in terms of
security and compliance with web standards. It is, after all, a web
browser, not the PC version of Project Runway.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

DIslandGuy wrote:
> The funtionality is great! My feedback is about the layout.
>
> It seems that Microsoft's approach to upgrading their software is to make it
> less customizable, rather than more. For example, all the tool buttons used
> to be able to be moved to wherever the user preferred. That is no longer the
> case, and this is the same for Office 2007, and Vista. This is backwards
> thinking since the mainstream is going the other way. People want to be able
> to customize their layout for what works best for them. Another aspect of
> this Microsoft approach is that it's taking up more vertical space, while
> monitors are typically getting shorter and wider, so horizontal tools would
> make more sense.
>
> For IE 6, I could put the menu bar, tools, add ons, etc on the same
> horizontal bar as the address bar. That is no longer the case so i have to
> use another horizontal bar to do this, taking up more valuable vertical
> space. Why do i need the address bar spanning the entire length of the
> horizontal screen? Most addresses are short and the extra text afterwards
> does not need to be seen. IE 7 was bad, IE 8 is even worse. Now my
> favorites/links are on one horizontal bar below the address bar, and my add
> ons have to be on another! What's going on?
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

lyneneve

RE: IE 7 and 8 layout
I cannot get used to IE7 layout. It is beyond annoying to the max. It wastes
four full lines at the top of my screen -- and it's mostly unnecessary
duplication -- two "favorites" icons, etc. I cannot find HOME or REFRESH --
they are ****sy tiny and moved where I can't just "go" to them without
searching. I have no need for "tabs." One line is enough, let us get rid of
all the duplication and wasted screen space.

"DIslandGuy" wrote:

> ... My feedback is about the layout.
>
> It seems that Microsoft's approach to upgrading their software is to make it
> less customizable, rather than more.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 7 and 8 layout
Yup, and when IE 6 came out, people complained about it.

Life is full of changes. Better for you to stop obsessing about little
things that don't matter.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

lyneneve wrote:
> I cannot get used to IE7 layout. It is beyond annoying to the max. It wastes
> four full lines at the top of my screen -- and it's mostly unnecessary
> duplication -- two "favorites" icons, etc. I cannot find HOME or REFRESH --
> they are ****sy tiny and moved where I can't just "go" to them without
> searching. I have no need for "tabs." One line is enough, let us get rid of
> all the duplication and wasted screen space.
>
> "DIslandGuy" wrote:
>
>> ... My feedback is about the layout.
>>
>> It seems that Microsoft's approach to upgrading their software is to make it
>> less customizable, rather than more.

John

Re: IE 7 and 8 layout
IIRC, IE5.5 and IE6 are almost identical, GUI wise. What did users complain
about?

> Yup, and when IE 6 came out, people complained about it.
>
> Life is full of changes. Better for you to stop obsessing about little
> things that don't matter.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> lyneneve wrote:
>> I cannot get used to IE7 layout. It is beyond annoying to the max. It
>> wastes four full lines at the top of my screen -- and it's mostly
>> unnecessary duplication -- two "favorites" icons, etc. I cannot find HOME
>> or REFRESH --
>> they are ****sy tiny and moved where I can't just "go" to them without
>> searching. I have no need for "tabs." One line is enough, let us get rid
>> of all the duplication and wasted screen space. "DIslandGuy" wrote:
>>
>>> ... My feedback is about the layout.
>>> It seems that Microsoft's approach to upgrading their software is to
>>> make it less customizable, rather than more.

lyneneve

Re: IE 7 and 8 layout
"Obsessing" is a different word than "Complaining." I am complaining about
the unnecessary four entire lines that IE7 steals from my screen display,
that contain mostly blank space along with a couple of duplicative icons.
What "matters" is a matter of opinion. To me, the shorter screen display now
requires scrolling that was not required before, and that does matter to me,
yup. It would be different if the hogged space was used for something besides
empty space.

Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Yup, and when IE 6 came out, people complained about it.
>
> Life is full of changes. Better for you to stop obsessing about little
> things that don't matter. ....
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> lyneneve wrote:
> > I cannot get used to IE7 layout. It is beyond annoying to the max. It wastes
> > four full lines at the top of my screen -- and it's mostly unnecessary
> > duplication -- two "favorites" icons, etc. I cannot find HOME or REFRESH --
> > they are ****sy tiny and moved where I can't just "go" to them without
> > searching. I have no need for "tabs." One line is enough, let us get rid of
> > all the duplication and wasted screen space.
> >
> > "DIslandGuy" wrote:
> >
> >> ... My feedback is about the layout.
> >>
> >> It seems that Microsoft's approach to upgrading their software is to make it
> >> less customizable, rather than more.

rob^_^

Re: IE 7 and 8 layout
Not so much complaints, but changes in technology to monitors to a 2.6
aspect ratio... modern screens are wider and the ratio (aspect ratio) of
width to height has decreased, making vertical space more valuable. So the
trend has been to slim down vertical screen usage by reducing the vertical
space taken up by the Toolbar (hence the 'slim' layout of Google Chrome)

"John" <a> wrote in message news:uMznoZBeJHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> IIRC, IE5.5 and IE6 are almost identical, GUI wise. What did users
> complain about?

>> Yup, and when IE 6 came out, people complained about it.
>>
>> Life is full of changes. Better for you to stop obsessing about little
>> things that don't matter.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> lyneneve wrote:
>>> I cannot get used to IE7 layout. It is beyond annoying to the max. It
>>> wastes four full lines at the top of my screen -- and it's mostly
>>> unnecessary duplication -- two "favorites" icons, etc. I cannot find
>>> HOME or REFRESH --
>>> they are ****sy tiny and moved where I can't just "go" to them without
>>> searching. I have no need for "tabs." One line is enough, let us get rid

Viktor Krammer

Re: IE 7 and 8 layout
Hello,

I have developed a new address bar for IE 7 & 8 which can share its space
with other 3rd-party toolbars and the mneu bar.

How to squeeze IE7 toolbars to one line
http://www.quero.at/news.php?id=51

Best regrads,

Viktor Krammer
--
http://www.quero.at/
The New Web Experience

henoseuno

Re: IE 7 and 8 layout
Yes, I agree that "modern screens are wider" and that therefore programs have
been developed to take full advantage of the width, but something that no-one
seems to take into account (irrespective of using IE7 or IE8 etc) is that
there's a lot of sight-disadvantaged users who are being forced into using
the wider screens, but aren't then able to read anything 'cos the print is
too small - and don't tell me that Microsoft's developers aren't aware of
disability rights!

I agree with "Leonard Grey" when he wrote "Life is full of changes. Better
for you to stop obsessing about little things that don't matter", but in this
case (i.e. being able to actually see the print) this is one of those 'little
things' which actually matter rather a lot!

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Not so much complaints, but changes in technology to monitors to a 2.6
> aspect ratio... modern screens are wider and the ratio (aspect ratio) of
> width to height has decreased, making vertical space more valuable. So the
> trend has been to slim down vertical screen usage by reducing the vertical
> space taken up by the Toolbar (hence the 'slim' layout of Google Chrome)
>
> "John" <a> wrote in message news:uMznoZBeJHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> > IIRC, IE5.5 and IE6 are almost identical, GUI wise. What did users
> > complain about?
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> >> Yup, and when IE 6 came out, people complained about it.
> >>
> >> Life is full of changes. Better for you to stop obsessing about little
> >> things that don't matter.
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

HMSSkeptical

Re: IE 7 and 8 layout

For me, it's a real puzzler - Gee, We never wrote software before...

Why on earth would anyone think that hardwiring the layout would be anything
other than very irritating ? The last thing I need is more clutter on my
screen, particularly unwanted clutter. If I want Google search, I'll go to
Google. Please PLEASE stop making things LESS FLEXIBLE than they were
before. Open up the layouts (again) so we can pick and choose which features
we want taking up valuable space in the Explorer window, where they go, and
how wide they are.