IE7 Browsing History not updating under VISTA

Joann

IE7 Browsing History not updating under VISTA
I cannot get IE7 under VISTA to update webpages that I've made changes to on
my website.

I've set IE Tools > Internet Options > General > Browsing History >
Settings > Check for newer versions of stored pages > Select ... "Every time
I visit the
webpage".

I've manually cleared the cache; set disk space to use at "8" (down from
50); closed IE ... and it still doesn't work.

The only thing that does work is my 5 year old, outdated system, running XP
and IE7 ... which defeats the purpose of why I bought a new machine.

Any suggestions? How well does IE8 beta work?

Re: IE7 Browsing History not updating under VISTA
> I cannot get IE7 under VISTA to update webpages that I've made changes to
> on
> my website.

Are the webpages hosted on the Vista machine, Joann?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Joann wrote:
> I cannot get IE7 under VISTA to update webpages that I've made changes to
> on
> my website.
>
> I've set IE Tools > Internet Options > General > Browsing History >
> Settings > Check for newer versions of stored pages > Select ... "Every
> time I visit the
> webpage".
>
> I've manually cleared the cache; set disk space to use at "8" (down from
> 50); closed IE ... and it still doesn't work.
>
> The only thing that does work is my 5 year old, outdated system, running
> XP
> and IE7 ... which defeats the purpose of why I bought a new machine.
>
> Any suggestions? How well does IE8 beta work?

Joann

Re: IE7 Browsing History not updating under VISTA
The Webpages are posted on a UNIX server.

This problem isn't comnfined to those pages I update. I had a few other
people update their sites, and IE keeps reading from the cache.

The only way it clears out, is a reboot. (not a very efficient way to work).

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > I cannot get IE7 under VISTA to update webpages that I've made changes to
> > on
> > my website.

> Are the webpages hosted on the Vista machine, Joann?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Joann wrote:
> > I cannot get IE7 under VISTA to update webpages that I've made changes to
> > on
> > my website.
> >
> > I've set IE Tools > Internet Options > General > Browsing History >
> > Settings > Check for newer versions of stored pages > Select ... "Every
> > time I visit the
> > webpage".
> >
> > I've manually cleared the cache; set disk space to use at "8" (down from
> > 50); closed IE ... and it still doesn't work.
> >
> > The only thing that does work is my 5 year old, outdated system, running
> > XP
> > and IE7 ... which defeats the purpose of why I bought a new machine.
> >
> > Any suggestions? How well does IE8 beta work?

Re: IE7 Browsing History not updating under VISTA
Dial-up or broadband connecton? Is a "web accelerator" installed? Do you
connect via a router and is the machine on network and/or behind a proxy?

Can you give us a few URLs to which you're referring?

Are you running Vista or Vista SP1 (just a question, not a suggestion)? Is
Automatic Updates enabled and is the machine fully patched?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

In no certain order:

How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided Help)
~PA Bear

Joann wrote:
> The Webpages are posted on a UNIX server.
>
> This problem isn't comnfined to those pages I update. I had a few other
> people update their sites, and IE keeps reading from the cache.
>
> The only way it clears out, is a reboot. (not a very efficient way to
> work).
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> I cannot get IE7 under VISTA to update webpages that I've made changes
>>> on
>>> my website.

>> Are the webpages hosted on the Vista machine, Joann?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Joann wrote:
>>> I cannot get IE7 under VISTA to update webpages that I've made changes
>>> on
>>> my website.
>>>
>>> I've set IE Tools > Internet Options > General > Browsing History >
>>> Settings > Check for newer versions of stored pages > Select ... "Every
>>> time I visit the
>>> webpage".
>>>
>>> I've manually cleared the cache; set disk space to use at "8" (down
>>> from
>>> 50); closed IE ... and it still doesn't work.
>>>
>>> The only thing that does work is my 5 year old, outdated system, running
>>> XP
>>> and IE7 ... which defeats the purpose of why I bought a new machine.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? How well does IE8 beta work?

Joann

Re: IE7 Browsing History not updating under VISTA
I'll check out the links you sent. In the meantime ...

Broadband connection
No web accelerator that I know of (Dell Vostro 220)
Running Vista Business SP1
Auto updates enabled
Connected to a network and behind a proxy
McAfee anti virus - subscription current

Sample URLs: (these are "plain jane" sites ... no bells/whistles)
http://www.keidel.com
http://niemanplumbing.com

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Dial-up or broadband connecton? Is a "web accelerator" installed? Do you
> connect via a router and is the machine on network and/or behind a proxy?
>
> Can you give us a few URLs to which you're referring?
>
> Are you running Vista or Vista SP1 (just a question, not a suggestion)? Is
> Automatic Updates enabled and is the machine fully patched?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> In no certain order:
>
> How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215
>
> How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
>
> Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided Help)
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Joann wrote:
> > The Webpages are posted on a UNIX server.
> >
> > This problem isn't comnfined to those pages I update. I had a few other
> > people update their sites, and IE keeps reading from the cache.
> >
> > The only way it clears out, is a reboot. (not a very efficient way to
> > work).

> >> Are the webpages hosted on the Vista machine, Joann?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Joann

Re: IE7 Browsing History not updating under VISTA
This probably needs to go under a different topic, but I'm adding it here
"just in case" it has something to do with this problem.

I checked the links you sent ... none of the solutions worked.

A manual check for updates shows:
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)

I installed this 3 times, and 3 times it told me the update was successful,
yet it still appears on the list of needed updates AND it doesn't show
anywhere in the list of updates.

-Joann

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Dial-up or broadband connecton? Is a "web accelerator" installed? Do you
> connect via a router and is the machine on network and/or behind a proxy?
>
> Can you give us a few URLs to which you're referring?
>
> Are you running Vista or Vista SP1 (just a question, not a suggestion)? Is
> Automatic Updates enabled and is the machine fully patched?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> In no certain order:
>
> How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215
>
> How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
>
> Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided Help)
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Joann wrote:
> > The Webpages are posted on a UNIX server.
> >
> > This problem isn't comnfined to those pages I update. I had a few other
> > people update their sites, and IE keeps reading from the cache.
> >
> > The only way it clears out, is a reboot. (not a very efficient way to
> > work).

> >> Are the webpages hosted on the Vista machine, Joann?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Joann

Re: IE7 Browsing History not updating under VISTA
I just hit the "refresh" button on IE ... and got the following error message:

\Your query for "check for newer versions of stored pages" did not return
results.

The following may help you find the results you were looking for:

Check your spelling.
Enter a term or phrase that's less specific.
Try different phrasing.
Try fewer words.\

Is this problem "mine," or doesn't refresh work within the forum?

-Joann

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Dial-up or broadband connecton? Is a "web accelerator" installed? Do you
> connect via a router and is the machine on network and/or behind a proxy?
>
> Can you give us a few URLs to which you're referring?
>
> Are you running Vista or Vista SP1 (just a question, not a suggestion)? Is
> Automatic Updates enabled and is the machine fully patched?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> In no certain order:
>
> How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215
>
> How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
>
> Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided Help)
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Joann wrote:
> > The Webpages are posted on a UNIX server.
> >
> > This problem isn't comnfined to those pages I update. I had a few other
> > people update their sites, and IE keeps reading from the cache.
> >
> > The only way it clears out, is a reboot. (not a very efficient way to
> > work).

> >> Are the webpages hosted on the Vista machine, Joann?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: IE7 Browsing History not updating under VISTA
> Connected to a network and behind a proxy

That might have something to do with it. Is this a machine at work? If so,
do others at work see the same behavior? Have you contacted your IT
department?

Did SP1 come preinstalled on the machine when it was purchased and is it
still under Warranty and/or Service Contract? Has this behavior happened
since Day One? Did you purchase this machine?

> McAfee anti virus - subscription current

McAfee VirusScan or, e.g., McAfee Security Center/VirusScan Plus/Internet
Security or perhaps VirusScan Coporate Edition? Did a McAfee free-trial
come preinstalled on the machine?

==============
Totally OT?...
> A manual check for updates shows:
> Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> (KB954430)
>
> I installed this 3 times, and 3 times it told me the update was
> successful,
> yet it still appears on the list of needed updates AND it doesn't show
> anywhere in the list of updates.

Pick one or two:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...=0&scorin g=d
--