Application Hang

JSmith

Application Hang
Our system:
Windows 2003 Server with terminal server and 9 HP T5135 thin client
computers. The user profiles are locked down using SteadyState.

The problem:
Every once in a while, the server hard drive light goes constant on and the
server stops responding. After while, the light goes off and the server
resumes.

The Error:
Source: Application Hang
Event ID: 1002
Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16762, hang module
hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this "lockup" and error?

Thanks in advance for your help,
John Smith

rob^_^

Re: Application Hang
Hi J,

Have you tried the usual suspects? Addons?

Another guess would be permissions to the users' folders or temporary
internet files disk space allocations, or ActiveX per site permissions.

Sorry. I have very little experience with diskless workstations.

Regards.

"JSmith" <JSmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Our system:
> Windows 2003 Server with terminal server and 9 HP T5135 thin client
> computers. The user profiles are locked down using SteadyState.
>
> The problem:
> Every once in a while, the server hard drive light goes constant on and
> the
> server stops responding. After while, the light goes off and the server
> resumes.
>
> The Error:
> Source: Application Hang
> Event ID: 1002
> Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16762, hang module
> hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this "lockup" and error?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
> John Smith

JSmith

Re: Application Hang
Thanks for the reply. I have tried some of the addons, Silverlight, Adobe..
However, I was unsure what other addons I can disable.

As for permissions, this issue occurs randomly and the only error that
appears is the "Application Hang". I would have thought that if it was
permissions based, that I would see permission denied errors.

Thanks for your help.
J Smith

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi J,
>
> Have you tried the usual suspects? Addons?
>
> Another guess would be permissions to the users' folders or temporary
> internet files disk space allocations, or ActiveX per site permissions.
>
> Sorry. I have very little experience with diskless workstations.
>
> Regards.
>
> "JSmith" <JSmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Our system:
> > Windows 2003 Server with terminal server and 9 HP T5135 thin client
> > computers. The user profiles are locked down using SteadyState.
> >
> > The problem:
> > Every once in a while, the server hard drive light goes constant on and
> > the
> > server stops responding. After while, the light goes off and the server
> > resumes.
> >
> > The Error:
> > Source: Application Hang
> > Event ID: 1002
> > Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16762, hang module
> > hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this "lockup" and error?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help,
> > John Smith

rob^_^

Re: Application Hang
Not necessarily so. It could be an Addon that is trying to write to a key
which the user does not have permissions for (HKLM). You only need to
identify Addons of type Toolbar or Browser Helpers as these Addon types hook
into every tab/page that is loaded.

You should be able to test this by logging on with an Administrator account.
(don't use RunAs, log-off then on with Administrator account)

There should be no need to disable your ActiveX addons such as Adobe and
Silverlight (are you using the latest version (2.x?) (these types of Addons
are downloaded from the internet and installed in the Downloaded Programs
Files folder (do you share this folder across all users?). They are subject
however to signing validation and security zone settings can effect how they
interact with IE (see the IE Security Zone settings for ActiveX controls)

As I said, I do not have any experience supporting a diskless
workstation/network... I tried this search -
http://search.live.com/results.aspx?...s&FORM=SRCHNTF

But could not find anything of interest. Have you tried contacting HP? They
may be able to put you in contact with clients with a similar network and
hardware configuration.