IE7 Favorites not working....

Canyon

IE7 Favorites not working....
I have three Favorite buttons. One is the star, one is the Favorites menu in
the menu bar and the other is the Favorites in the Live menu bar. First of
all, what is the purpose of the Favorites in the Live menu bar? I don't see
the point in it and having to log in to view and manage my favorites. Seems
tedious at best and it doesn't reflect what is in my Favorites menu anyway.

When I click on the Star button or the plus Star button nothing comes up
except for a window pane that is blank. The plus Star button doesn't add any
site to my favorites and when I click on the organize favorites a blank
window comes up asking me to select a favorite to manage. But there is
nothing in the window. I have over 50 favorites! The only way I can access my
favorites is to go up to the Favorite menu selection on the menu bar and add
a site from there. But if I choose to organize my favorites it still only
brings up a blank window.

What's happening?

Re: IE7 Favorites not working....
posting to this newsgroup.

Have you changed the location of your Favorites folder on your HDD?

Windows Live Toolbar is an add-on and not part of IE7. We do not support it
here.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Canyon wrote:
> I have three Favorite buttons. One is the star, one is the Favorites menu
> in
> the menu bar and the other is the Favorites in the Live menu bar. First of
> all, what is the purpose of the Favorites in the Live menu bar? I don't
> see
> the point in it and having to log in to view and manage my favorites.
> Seems
> tedious at best and it doesn't reflect what is in my Favorites menu
> anyway.
>
> When I click on the Star button or the plus Star button nothing comes up
> except for a window pane that is blank. The plus Star button doesn't add
> any
> site to my favorites and when I click on the organize favorites a blank
> window comes up asking me to select a favorite to manage. But there is
> nothing in the window. I have over 50 favorites! The only way I can access
> my favorites is to go up to the Favorite menu selection on the menu bar
> and
> add a site from there. But if I choose to organize my favorites it still
> only brings up a blank window.
>
> What's happening?

Canyon

Re: IE7 Favorites not working....
Asus A8N-SLI Delux
AMD FX-60
750 watt Silverstone power.
4 gb ram
(2x) eVGA nVidia 8600 GTS 512 mb
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Pro
Seagate 320 gb 7200 RPM harddrive.
Windows XP Home 32 bit SP3
IE7 version 7.0.5730.13

Just a thought, but there ought to be a way to put the system specs in a
global file or something so that all that needs to be done is to click on the
user name and everyone can see the user's system pics.

Anyway, I don't even know where the favorites are stored... I could never
find them when I had IE6 so I am assuming that is by design and I haven't
bothered to look for them.

I just don't understand why IE7 has so many problems and I can't go back to
IE6 because it now crashes my system. There are numerous issues I have with
IE7, namely the address bar does work and I can't organize the favorites...

You say that the Windows Live toolbar isn't supported here, well where can I
find support for it?

Thanks.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> Have you changed the location of your Favorites folder on your HDD?
>
> Windows Live Toolbar is an add-on and not part of IE7. We do not support it
> here.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Canyon wrote:
> > I have three Favorite buttons. One is the star, one is the Favorites menu
> > in
> > the menu bar and the other is the Favorites in the Live menu bar. First of
> > all, what is the purpose of the Favorites in the Live menu bar? I don't
> > see
> > the point in it and having to log in to view and manage my favorites.
> > Seems
> > tedious at best and it doesn't reflect what is in my Favorites menu
> > anyway.
> >
> > When I click on the Star button or the plus Star button nothing comes up
> > except for a window pane that is blank. The plus Star button doesn't add
> > any
> > site to my favorites and when I click on the organize favorites a blank
> > window comes up asking me to select a favorite to manage. But there is
> > nothing in the window. I have over 50 favorites! The only way I can access
> > my favorites is to go up to the Favorite menu selection on the menu bar
> > and
> > add a site from there. But if I choose to organize my favorites it still
> > only brings up a blank window.
> >
> > What's happening?

Re: IE7 Favorites not working....
Your Favorites folder in IE7 and IE6 should be located C:\Documents and
Settings\<user>\Favorites <=here. If you don't find it there, that's
probably why Favorites is "not working."

> I just don't understand why IE7 has so many problems and I can't go back
> IE6 because it now crashes my system.

Sounds like you have other & worse problems, Canyon. Did you upgrade to IE7
in hopes of fixing the IE6 crashes?

Canyon wrote:
<snip>
> Windows XP Home 32 bit SP3
> IE7 version 7.0.5730.13
>
> Just a thought, but there ought to be a way to put the system specs in a
> global file or something so that all that needs to be done is to click on
> the user name and everyone can see the user's system pics.
>
> Anyway, I don't even know where the favorites are stored... I could never
> find them when I had IE6 so I am assuming that is by design and I haven't
> bothered to look for them.
>
> I just don't understand why IE7 has so many problems and I can't go back
> IE6 because it now crashes my system. There are numerous issues I have
> with
> IE7, namely the address bar does work and I can't organize the
> favorites...
>
> You say that the Windows Live toolbar isn't supported here, well where can
> find support for it?
>
> Thanks.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> Have you changed the location of your Favorites folder on your HDD?
>>
>> Windows Live Toolbar is an add-on and not part of IE7. We do not support
>> it here.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Canyon wrote:
>>> I have three Favorite buttons. One is the star, one is the Favorites
>>> menu
>>> in
>>> the menu bar and the other is the Favorites in the Live menu bar. First
>>> of
>>> all, what is the purpose of the Favorites in the Live menu bar? I don't
>>> see
>>> the point in it and having to log in to view and manage my favorites.
>>> Seems
>>> tedious at best and it doesn't reflect what is in my Favorites menu
>>> anyway.
>>>
>>> When I click on the Star button or the plus Star button nothing comes up
>>> except for a window pane that is blank. The plus Star button doesn't add
>>> any
>>> site to my favorites and when I click on the organize favorites a blank
>>> window comes up asking me to select a favorite to manage. But there is
>>> nothing in the window. I have over 50 favorites! The only way I can
>>> access
>>> my favorites is to go up to the Favorite menu selection on the menu bar
>>> and
>>> add a site from there. But if I choose to organize my favorites it still
>>> only brings up a blank window.
>>>
>>> What's happening?

Canyon

Re: IE7 Favorites not working....
Ok. Yes I found where the favorites are. Much simpler than I thought. The are
in
C:\Documents and Settings\Computer\Favorites which is where you said they
should be. But unfortunatley IE7 still doesn't display them in the window
pain that comes up when I click on the Star icon. And I still am unable to
organize any favorites from the menu as there aren't any that come up in the
organize window. But I suppose I can "manually" organize them in the
C:\Documents and Settings\Computer\Favorites folder. But it would be nice to
actually use the Favorites as they were intended in IE7...

Thanks,

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Your Favorites folder in IE7 and IE6 should be located C:\Documents and
> Settings\<user>\Favorites <=here. If you don't find it there, that's
> probably why Favorites is "not working."
>
> > I just don't understand why IE7 has so many problems and I can't go back
> > IE6 because it now crashes my system.

> Sounds like you have other & worse problems, Canyon. Did you upgrade to IE7
> in hopes of fixing the IE6 crashes?
>
> Canyon wrote:
> <snip>
> > Windows XP Home 32 bit SP3
> > IE7 version 7.0.5730.13
> >
> > Just a thought, but there ought to be a way to put the system specs in a
> > global file or something so that all that needs to be done is to click on
> > the user name and everyone can see the user's system pics.
> >
> > Anyway, I don't even know where the favorites are stored... I could never
> > find them when I had IE6 so I am assuming that is by design and I haven't
> > bothered to look for them.
> >
> > I just don't understand why IE7 has so many problems and I can't go back
> > IE6 because it now crashes my system. There are numerous issues I have
> > with
> > IE7, namely the address bar does work and I can't organize the
> > favorites...
> >
> > You say that the Windows Live toolbar isn't supported here, well where can
> > find support for it?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> >> posting to this newsgroup.
> >>
> >> Have you changed the location of your Favorites folder on your HDD?
> >>
> >> Windows Live Toolbar is an add-on and not part of IE7. We do not support
> >> it here.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: IE7 Favorites not working....
YW.

Repost:

Canyon wrote:
> Ok. Yes I found where the favorites are. Much simpler than I thought. The
> are in
> C:\Documents and Settings\Computer\Favorites which is where you said they
> should be. But unfortunatley IE7 still doesn't display them in the window
> pain that comes up when I click on the Star icon. And I still am unable to
> organize any favorites from the menu as there aren't any that come up in
> the
> organize window. But I suppose I can "manually" organize them in the
> C:\Documents and Settings\Computer\Favorites folder. But it would be nice
> actually use the Favorites as they were intended in IE7...
>
> Thanks,
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Your Favorites folder in IE7 and IE6 should be located C:\Documents and
>> Settings\<user>\Favorites <=here. If you don't find it there, that's
>> probably why Favorites is "not working."
>>
>>> I just don't understand why IE7 has so many problems and I can't go back
>>> IE6 because it now crashes my system.

>> Sounds like you have other & worse problems, Canyon. Did you upgrade to
>> IE7 in hopes of fixing the IE6 crashes?
>>
>> Canyon wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Windows XP Home 32 bit SP3
>>> IE7 version 7.0.5730.13
>>>
>>> Just a thought, but there ought to be a way to put the system specs in a
>>> global file or something so that all that needs to be done is to click
>>> on
>>> the user name and everyone can see the user's system pics.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I don't even know where the favorites are stored... I could
>>> never
>>> find them when I had IE6 so I am assuming that is by design and I
>>> haven't
>>> bothered to look for them.
>>>
>>> I just don't understand why IE7 has so many problems and I can't go back
>>> IE6 because it now crashes my system. There are numerous issues I have
>>> with
>>> IE7, namely the address bar does work and I can't organize the
>>> favorites...
>>>
>>> You say that the Windows Live toolbar isn't supported here, well where
>>> can
>>> find support for it?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

Gordon

"Canyon" <Canyon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok. Yes I found where the favorites are. Much simpler than I thought. The
> are
> in
> C:\Documents and Settings\Computer\Favorites which is where you said they
> should be.

That's NOT the default location unless your User account on the machine is
called "Computer".
the DEFAULT location is C:\Documents and Settings\{Your User
Account}\Favorites

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Canyon

Re: IE7 Favorites not working....
Yeah I did upgrade to IE7 in hopes that it would improve my surfing... Not
all but some sites I were not responding well to IE6, and some of those sites
stated that they work best with IE7 so I upgraded. But now while I have a
smoother internet experience on those sites (www.space.com, www.cbs.com,
www.fox.com) IE7 still hangs up sometimes and cause my computer to be
extremely slow. This occurs every now and then and usually when I have
Windows Live Mail open.

That's the most annoying, and there isn't much most people can do to help
me. The second most annoying thing is that my address bar in IE7 doesn't
work. I type an address in and nothing happens when I hit enter or click on
the go to button.

The Favorites problem isn't as much of a concern but more of a nuisance that
adds to the wonderful experience I have been having with IE7. I just wish
things worked as they were intended...

Thanks

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> YW.
>
> Repost:
> >> Sounds like you have other & worse problems, Canyon. Did you upgrade to
> >> IE7 in hopes of fixing the IE6 crashes?

> Canyon wrote:
> > Ok. Yes I found where the favorites are. Much simpler than I thought. The
> > are in
> > C:\Documents and Settings\Computer\Favorites which is where you said they
> > should be. But unfortunatley IE7 still doesn't display them in the window
> > pain that comes up when I click on the Star icon. And I still am unable to
> > organize any favorites from the menu as there aren't any that come up in
> > the
> > organize window. But I suppose I can "manually" organize them in the
> > C:\Documents and Settings\Computer\Favorites folder. But it would be nice
> > actually use the Favorites as they were intended in IE7...
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Your Favorites folder in IE7 and IE6 should be located C:\Documents and
> >> Settings\<user>\Favorites <=here. If you don't find it there, that's
> >> probably why Favorites is "not working."

> >> Sounds like you have other & worse problems, Canyon. Did you upgrade to
> >> IE7 in hopes of fixing the IE6 crashes?
> >>
> >> Canyon wrote:
> >> <snip>

Canyon

Re: IE7 Favorites not working....
That is correct Gordon. Computer is my User Account name. I wasn't being very
creative at the time...

So my favorites do appear to be located in the default location:

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Canyon" <Canyon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok. Yes I found where the favorites are. Much simpler than I thought. The
> > are
> > in
> > C:\Documents and Settings\Computer\Favorites which is where you said they
> > should be.

> That's NOT the default location unless your User account on the machine is
> called "Computer".
> the DEFAULT location is C:\Documents and Settings\{Your User
> Account}\Favorites
>
> --
> Asking a question?
> Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
> your OS, Service Pack level
> and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

Re: IE7 Favorites not working....
Websites "not responding" and IE "crashes my system" are not the same thing.
Was IE6 literally crashing?

In IE7...

=> Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
or

2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

=> Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

=> Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
~PA Bear