?importing Avant Groups and Bookmarks into IE7

Pflueger

?importing Avant Groups and Bookmarks into IE7
I had been using Avant browser for quite awhile for its tabs, then I
upgraded IE6 to IE7. Now I use IE7. The issues I had with Avant were that it
used too much CPU and freezing up (even after upgrading to IE7 per advice on
this ng).

The thing is I accumulated a lot of Groups (as in Bookmarks/Groups) in Avant
that I would like to keep, and want to get rid of Avant entirely.

On the Avant forum I was told where to find the files for Bookmarks, as I
had chosen to use the IE Favorites format.

I assume I can import those Bookmark files into IE7 (if they aren't already
there (?) but would like to import the Groups files into IE7 as well if at
all possible.

Can someone please enlighten me on how this works and how to accomplish
these changes? Thanks.

pflu

Fuzzy Logic

Re: ?importing Avant Groups and Bookmarks into IE7
"Pflueger" <phluge1@yaBLOODYhoot.com> wrote in

> I had been using Avant browser for quite awhile for its tabs, then I
> upgraded IE6 to IE7. Now I use IE7. The issues I had with Avant were
> that it used too much CPU and freezing up (even after upgrading to IE7
> per advice on this ng).
>
> The thing is I accumulated a lot of Groups (as in Bookmarks/Groups) in
> Avant that I would like to keep, and want to get rid of Avant entirely.
>
> On the Avant forum I was told where to find the files for Bookmarks, as
> had chosen to use the IE Favorites format.
>
> I assume I can import those Bookmark files into IE7 (if they aren't
> already there (?) but would like to import the Groups files into IE7 as
> well if at all possible.
>
> Can someone please enlighten me on how this works and how to accomplish
> these changes? Thanks.

If you have configured Avant to use IE favourites you should need to do
anything. To confirm start up IE and see if your bookmarks are all there.
Pflueger

"Fuzzy Logic" <bob@arc.ab.caREMOVETHIS> wrote in message
> "Pflueger" <phluge1@yaBLOODYhoot.com> wrote in
>
>> I had been using Avant browser for quite awhile for its tabs, then I
>> upgraded IE6 to IE7. Now I use IE7. The issues I had with Avant were
>> that it used too much CPU and freezing up (even after upgrading to IE7
>> per advice on this ng).
>>
>> The thing is I accumulated a lot of Groups (as in Bookmarks/Groups) in
>> Avant that I would like to keep, and want to get rid of Avant entirely.
>>
>> On the Avant forum I was told where to find the files for Bookmarks, as
>> had chosen to use the IE Favorites format.
>>
>> I assume I can import those Bookmark files into IE7 (if they aren't
>> already there (?) but would like to import the Groups files into IE7 as
>> well if at all possible.
>>
>> Can someone please enlighten me on how this works and how to accomplish
>> these changes? Thanks.

> If you have configured Avant to use IE favourites you should need to do
> anything. To confirm start up IE and see if your bookmarks are all there.

Thanks -- it looks pretty likely that is true -- but how about the
Bookmarks/Groups? Could I try import into another browser that supports
Groups, such as Maxthon? --there is no obvious import method offered by
Maxthon I can find. What can I do to save them without keeping Avant?

pflu

Donald Anadell

"Pflueger" <phluge1@yaBLOODYhoot.com> wrote in message

> "Fuzzy Logic" <bob@arc.ab.caREMOVETHIS> wrote in message
>> "Pflueger" <phluge1@yaBLOODYhoot.com> wrote in
>>
>>> I had been using Avant browser for quite awhile for its tabs, then I
>>> upgraded IE6 to IE7. Now I use IE7. The issues I had with Avant were
>>> that it used too much CPU and freezing up (even after upgrading to IE7
>>> per advice on this ng).
>>>
>>> The thing is I accumulated a lot of Groups (as in Bookmarks/Groups) in
>>> Avant that I would like to keep, and want to get rid of Avant entirely.
>>>
>>> On the Avant forum I was told where to find the files for Bookmarks, as
>>> had chosen to use the IE Favorites format.
>>>
>>> I assume I can import those Bookmark files into IE7 (if they aren't
>>> already there (?) but would like to import the Groups files into IE7 as
>>> well if at all possible.
>>>
>>> Can someone please enlighten me on how this works and how to accomplish
>>> these changes? Thanks.

>> If you have configured Avant to use IE favourites you should need to do
>> anything. To confirm start up IE and see if your bookmarks are all there.

> Thanks -- it looks pretty likely that is true -- but how about the
> Bookmarks/Groups? Could I try import into another browser that supports
> Groups, such as Maxthon? --there is no obvious import method offered by
> Maxthon I can find. What can I do to save them without keeping Avant?

See the following Avant Forum thread for possible help:
http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17305

If no joy, post your question to the Avant Forum.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> pflu

Pflueger

"Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message

> "Pflueger" <phluge1@yaBLOODYhoot.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Fuzzy Logic" <bob@arc.ab.caREMOVETHIS> wrote in message
>>> "Pflueger" <phluge1@yaBLOODYhoot.com> wrote in

>>> If you have configured Avant to use IE favourites you should need to do
>>> anything. To confirm start up IE and see if your bookmarks are all
>>> there.

>> Thanks -- it looks pretty likely that is true -- but how about the
>> Bookmarks/Groups? Could I try import into another browser that supports
>> Groups, such as Maxthon? --there is no obvious import method offered by
>> Maxthon I can find. What can I do to save them without keeping Avant?

> See the following Avant Forum thread for possible help:
> http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17305
>
> If no joy, post your question to the Avant Forum.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadel
>>

> Thanks. When I went there before they told me where to find groups.dat in
> Avant Profiles, but I don't know what to do with groups.dat vis a vis
> other browsers' Groups.

pflu

Donald Anadell

> "Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Pflueger" <phluge1@yaBLOODYhoot.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Fuzzy Logic" <bob@arc.ab.caREMOVETHIS> wrote in message

>>> Thanks -- it looks pretty likely that is true -- but how about the
>>> Bookmarks/Groups? Could I try import into another browser that supports
>>> Groups, such as Maxthon? --there is no obvious import method offered by
>>> Maxthon I can find. What can I do to save them without keeping Avant?

>> See the following Avant Forum thread for possible help:
>> http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17305
>>
>> If no joy, post your question to the Avant Forum.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadel
>>>

>> Thanks. When I went there before they told me where to find groups.dat in
>> Avant Profiles, but I don't know what to do with groups.dat vis a vis
>> other browsers' Groups.

Personally I don't know anything about the Avant Browser, did you try the
program offered at that link I gave you called "Groups2Bookmarks", to see if
it will perform the task(s) you are asking about. The author of the program
says the following about the program:

"You can use this program to export your Avant's groups, and import them
into your IE/Avant/Opera/Firefox favorites afterwards.
Just like the Export Bookmarks function in Avant, but for groups."

Your question is way off topic in this News Group, either contact the author
of that program "Groups2Bookmarks". Or post your question to the Avant
Forum.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> pflu

Pflueger

Re: ?importing Avant Groups and Bookmarks into IE7

>>> See the following Avant Forum thread for possible help:
>>> http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17305
>>>
>>> If no joy, post your question to the Avant Forum.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> Donald Anadel
>>>>

>>> Thanks. When I went there before they told me where to find groups.dat
>>> in Avant Profiles, but I don't know what to do with groups.dat vis a vis
>>> other browsers' Groups.

> Personally I don't know anything about the Avant Browser, did you try the
> program offered at that link I gave you called "Groups2Bookmarks", to see
> if it will perform the task(s) you are asking about. The author of the
> program says the following about the program:
>
> "You can use this program to export your Avant's groups, and import them
> into your IE/Avant/Opera/Firefox favorites afterwards.
> Just like the Export Bookmarks function in Avant, but for groups."
>
> Your question is way off topic in this News Group, either contact the
> author of that program "Groups2Bookmarks". Or post your question to the
> Avant Forum.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell

Thanks Donald. I realize this was a bit OT for this ng but here is where I
got pointed toward getting IE7 to fix AVANT by a guy who seemed to know that
AVANT is based in IE.

What happened was I followed your link OK but all the links from there for
the app were dead except for a readme.txt. I finally found an ftp directory
with three versions of Group2Bookmarks in it here fYI:
http://archives.mysteryfcm.co.uk/?f=...oups2Bookmarks

I haven't done it yet but just wanted to say thanks.

pflu