IE7 moving favourites is difficult

Pat

IE7 moving favourites is difficult
Hi,

Using IE7 and am trying to organize the folders in the Favourites. I
open IE7 and the Alt+Z does not work for a start but that does not
worry me (Alt+C works OK) . I click the Add to Favourites icon, select
Organize Favourites. Now I want to drag a folder to a position in the
tree list of folders.

Previously, when you moved a folder by dragging, there would be a
black line indicatior shown between 2 adjacent folders so, when you
release the mouse button, your folder would drop where the black line
indicator was. With my IE7, there is NO black line indicator when I
try to move a folder, hence, my moved folder only falls into an
existing folder - not before or after it.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much.
Pat
Don Varnau

Re: IE7 moving favourites is difficult
Hi,
Windows XP or Vista?

I don't think this is an add-on problem, but try step #1 first anyway...
1. Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.

For troubleshooting information see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

More at:
Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

2. [Windows XP] You may have a corrupted installation of IE7 and should
uninstall/reinstall IE7. Antivirus/antispyware programs should be disabled
when installing IE7. Follow other advice at
Known issues - Installation tips - IE7:
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html

If you've installed XP SP3 after installing IE7, you will have to uninstall
SP3 first.
IEBlog- IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3 [XP SP3]:

IEBlog IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

927177- How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Pat" <pat@downunder.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Using IE7 and am trying to organize the folders in the Favourites. I
> open IE7 and the Alt+Z does not work for a start but that does not
> worry me (Alt+C works OK) . I click the Add to Favourites icon, select
> Organize Favourites. Now I want to drag a folder to a position in the
> tree list of folders.
>
> Previously, when you moved a folder by dragging, there would be a
> black line indicatior shown between 2 adjacent folders so, when you
> release the mouse button, your folder would drop where the black line
> indicator was. With my IE7, there is NO black line indicator when I
> try to move a folder, hence, my moved folder only falls into an
> existing folder - not before or after it.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you very much.
> Pat

Pat

Re: IE7 moving favourites is difficult
Hi,

Thanks for the reply

>Windows XP or Vista?

its XP

#1 did not change anything

I will try #2. Problem is just an irration that's all.

Again thanks.

Pat

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE7 moving favourites is difficult

"Pat" <pat@downunder.com> wrote in message news:i5brm41ustmfn340486t64sam0uedk5mqm@4ax.com...
> Hi,
>
> Using IE7 and am trying to organize the folders in the Favourites. I
> open IE7 and the Alt+Z does not work for a start but that does not
> worry me (Alt+C works OK) . I click the Add to Favourites icon, select
> Organize Favourites. Now I want to drag a folder to a position in the
> tree list of folders.
>
> Previously, when you moved a folder by dragging, there would be a
> black line indicatior shown between 2 adjacent folders so, when you
> release the mouse button, your folder would drop where the black line
> indicator was.

> With my IE7, there is NO black line indicator when I
> try to move a folder, hence, my moved folder only falls into an
> existing folder - not before or after it.

It's still there, just much more sensitive of where it starts.

> Any ideas?

Do you have a slow cursor mode for your mouse?
Alternatively, you could try using Mousekeys.
It would give you more control than a shakey hand. ; )

Another factor I suppose would be your Display properties,
e.g. screen resolution and DPI setting. So, you could try
experimenting with those, if nothing else works.

> Thank you very much.
> Pat

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Pat

Re: IE7 moving favourites is difficult
Hi,

>> With my IE7, there is NO black line indicator when I
>> try to move a folder, hence, my moved folder only falls into an
>> existing folder - not before or after it.

>It's still there, just much more sensitive of where it starts.

I admit sometimes it does flash on but then just disappears

>Do you have a slow cursor mode for your mouse?
>Alternatively, you could try using Mousekeys.
>It would give you more control than a shakey hand. ; )
>
>Another factor I suppose would be your Display properties,
>e.g. screen resolution and DPI setting. So, you could try
>experimenting with those, if nothing else works.

The only problem is with IE7. I use a 2 port KVM switch and the other
computer (VERY similar harware) has no problem (although not connected
to the internet and has IE6).

I guess it must be IE7, I'll look into reinstalling.

Pat
Pat

Re: IE7 moving favourites is difficult
> I open IE7 and the Alt+Z does not work for a start but that does not
> worry me (Alt+C works OK) .

another indicator that it's IE7 software related?
Robert Aldwinckle

"Pat" <pat@downunder.com> wrote in message news:jfmsm4ljn82lj0acvnin2iqo8uc1p9081t@4ax.com...
>> I open IE7 and the Alt+Z does not work for a start but that does not
>> worry me (Alt+C works OK) .

> another indicator that it's IE7 software related?

More likely a sign that you have an interference of some kind.

---

Nissi1

Re: IE7 moving favourites is difficult
You could click on the plus star icon and choose Organize Favorites, to
move, delete, create new folder or rename.

Cora

"Pat" <pat@downunder.com> wrote in message
>> I open IE7 and the Alt+Z does not work for a start but that does not
>> worry me (Alt+C works OK) .

> another indicator that it's IE7 software related?

More likely a sign that you have an interference of some kind.

---

winch

RE: IE7 moving favourites is difficult
I can't even find how to start my own question, so I'm going to add mine to
yours.
My favorites listing on the side has shrunk to less than an inch. I can only
see the first two letters of my website names. How can I fix this??

"Pat" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Using IE7 and am trying to organize the folders in the Favourites. I
> open IE7 and the Alt+Z does not work for a start but that does not
> worry me (Alt+C works OK) . I click the Add to Favourites icon, select
> Organize Favourites. Now I want to drag a folder to a position in the
> tree list of folders.
>
> Previously, when you moved a folder by dragging, there would be a
> black line indicatior shown between 2 adjacent folders so, when you
> release the mouse button, your folder would drop where the black line
> indicator was. With my IE7, there is NO black line indicator when I
> try to move a folder, hence, my moved folder only falls into an
> existing folder - not before or after it.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you very much.
> Pat

Robert Aldwinckle

"winch" <winch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C1BF288-3E2B-4131-8ED9-27EEF0E851FD@microsoft.com...

>I can't even find how to start my own question, so I'm going to add mine to
> yours.

You should be able to use the New button, e.g. press Alt-M,Enter.
However, it is suspected that some users' popup stoppers may
inhibit the popup menu that that command produces.

> My favorites listing on the side has shrunk to less than an inch. I can only
> see the first two letters of my website names. How can I fix this??

Drag it wider. ; )

---