Please have a better handling IE encounters a corrupted file

Wei Zhu

Please have a better handling IE encounters a corrupted file
Hi,
I just spent 8 hours tracking down a nasty problem on IE 8 that constantly
caused my entire OS (Win XP SP3) to freeze after a few minutes of using IE.
As a former MS employee who worked at MS for 9 years, I care a lot about
Microsoft and want to help out whenever I can. I would describe it here and
hope that you can have a better handling before IE 8 or Win 7 ships.

Basically, over last few days I found that my computer would start to freeze
grandually after using IE 8 for a while. Typically, IE 8 would first stop
responding first, then Outlook and Firefox would stop responding. Start menu
would also freeze. Task manager would continue to work for a little longer.
Cmd windows would mostly works longer. When that happens, I had no choice but
force power off. In the last few days, I had multiple instances of this
problem with increased frequency. Sometimes during reboot, the OS would run
chkdsk and correct some bad file indexes, but the problem persissted.

Today I had enough of it and decided to track it down. I tried to remove
many of my programs and stop various services and shell hooks but none
worked. Finally I decied to uninstall IE 8 beta reluctantly. However,
uninstall IE 8 made things worse because now IE7 would freeze the OS within 5
seconds. Eventually I found that if I log in as a different user and use IE
(now IE 7) and things worked fine. So I ran"chkdsk /R" and it finally found
clutsters in file \Document and
settings\<name>\Locals~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\inde x.dat. Note this fix was
found on stage 4 of 5 of chkdsk. This should have been cautght before
previous chkdsk that the system automatically ran after crashed, but
apprently the system only performs "chkdsk /f" which does not perform step
4,5.

Anyway, I now recall that I had similar problem back in the days when XP
first shipped while I worked at Microsoft. I think this problems could be
better handled if system performed chkdsk /r instead of chkdsk /f when system
repeately crash. In addition, the OS should handle such file corruption
better when it happens. That can be done because the File subsystem, problems
that aren't performing IO can still function and detect and monitor such
issues.

Cheers,

Wei Zhu
Bruce Hagen

Re: Please have a better handling IE encounters a corrupted file
"Wei Zhu" <Wei Zhu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I just spent 8 hours tracking down a nasty problem on IE 8 that constantly
> caused my entire OS (Win XP SP3) to freeze after a few minutes of using
> IE.
> As a former MS employee who worked at MS for 9 years, I care a lot about
> Microsoft and want to help out whenever I can. I would describe it here
> and
> hope that you can have a better handling before IE 8 or Win 7 ships.
>
> Basically, over last few days I found that my computer would start to
> freeze
> grandually after using IE 8 for a while. Typically, IE 8 would first stop
> responding first, then Outlook and Firefox would stop responding. Start
> menu
> would also freeze. Task manager would continue to work for a little
> longer.
> Cmd windows would mostly works longer. When that happens, I had no choice
> but
> force power off. In the last few days, I had multiple instances of this
> problem with increased frequency. Sometimes during reboot, the OS would
> run
> chkdsk and correct some bad file indexes, but the problem persissted.
>
> Today I had enough of it and decided to track it down. I tried to remove
> many of my programs and stop various services and shell hooks but none
> worked. Finally I decied to uninstall IE 8 beta reluctantly. However,
> uninstall IE 8 made things worse because now IE7 would freeze the OS
> within 5
> seconds. Eventually I found that if I log in as a different user and use
> IE
> (now IE 7) and things worked fine. So I ran"chkdsk /R" and it finally
> found
> clutsters in file \Document and
> settings\<name>\Locals~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\inde x.dat. Note this fix was
> found on stage 4 of 5 of chkdsk. This should have been cautght before
> previous chkdsk that the system automatically ran after crashed, but
> apprently the system only performs "chkdsk /f" which does not perform step
> 4,5.
>
> Anyway, I now recall that I had similar problem back in the days when XP
> first shipped while I worked at Microsoft. I think this problems could be
> better handled if system performed chkdsk /r instead of chkdsk /f when
> system
> repeately crash. In addition, the OS should handle such file corruption
> better when it happens. That can be done because the File subsystem,
> problems
> that aren't performing IO can still function and detect and monitor such
> issues.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wei Zhu

You do realize that Beta means it is an unfinished product? You use beta
programs at your own risk.

For gripes about IE8Beta:

IE8 Beta Newsgroups.

In Your Newsreader: