Gateway TimeOut only when

Nurmi

Gateway TimeOut only when
I drive WinXP (SP3) Explorer 7 with latest up-date,
Each time I attempt to hyperlink to any of MS Newsgroup Pages from within
Outlook I Timeout!

I am grateful for any advice you care to send.
--
Nurmi
VanguardLH

Re: Gateway TimeOut only when
Nurmi wrote:

> I drive WinXP (SP3) Explorer 7 with latest up-date,
> Each time I attempt to hyperlink to any of MS Newsgroup Pages from within
> Outlook I Timeout!
>
> I am grateful for any advice you care to send.

So did the "Gateway Timeout" in your subject have anything to do with
the vaguely described "timeout"? What does the error actually say?
Don't summarize, paraphrase, truncate, or describe the error. Recite it
here verbatim.

Disable WPAD (Web Proxy Auto-Discover) in Internet Explorer:

- Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN
- Disable 'Automatically detect settings'

Regarding WPAD, read:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307502
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...-vulnerability
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/945713.mspx
http://perimetergrid.com/wp/2008/01/...plorers-worst-...

I have had that option disabled for many years. I don't use web proxies
and don't remember ever having an ISP that hooked me up to one. I never
saw a need to enable this option (at home) but then I've never been on a
3rd tier provider/domain, either. There is no point to do the multitude
host searches trying to find a WPAD server when there isn't one. It can
cause a "gateway timeout" error in IE because it took too long to find a
WPAD server (that does not exist). The WPAD functionality is documented
in the IEAK (Internet Explorer Administration Kit).
Nurmi

Re: Gateway TimeOut only when
The msg read: GateWay TimeOut. The server is unreachable, the following error
occurred "Visual C++RunTimeError".
Since then I noticed that Norton informes soon after the msg appears, that
it's prog has stopped an attack. It's msg reads MSRC Server Service BO TCP
1182 70.70.4.178.1182. Is this a coincidence?
--
Nurmi

Nurmi wrote:

> The msg read: GateWay TimeOut. The server is unreachable, the following error
> occurred "Visual C++RunTimeError".
> Since then I noticed that Norton informes soon after the msg appears, that
> it's prog has stopped an attack. It's msg reads MSRC Server Service BO TCP
> 1182 70.70.4.178.1182. Is this a coincidence?

Even if your router or software firewall is thwarting unsolicited
inbound connections, it has to expend resources to deny those connects.
If you are the target of a DOS attack, your inbound bandwidth could be
consumed with attacks. You would need to contact your ISP to have them
check if you are receiving an unusually high number of inbound packets
even while you are idle on your own host.

I don't use Norton anything so I can't tell you what the status message
means. You could submit a trouble ticket to Symantec and get a response
in about 3 days. 1182 might be the port number but the next number
somewhat appears to be an IP address but isn't (too many octets), or
maybe it simply repeats port 1182 at the end and the IP address of the
attacker is 70.70.4.178 which is allocated to Shaw Communications in
Canada. So what is *your* WAN-side IP address for either your router or
your host (if not using a router and connected direct from host to cable
modem)?

"hyperlink to any of MS Newsgroup Pages from within
Outlook I Timeout!" Outlook isn't a web browser. You might be clicking
a URL link in an e-mail. So what happens when you copy that URL link
and paste it in the Address bar in the web browser?

Tried using IE7 in its no add-ons mode?

Tried disabling or uninstall the Norton stuff and retesting? The reason
why I stopped using Norton products back in 2003 was because their
transparent proxies would go unresponsive at least once or twice per
week which wasted a lot of my time trying to figure out why I lost
Internet connectivity. I had to reboot or uninstall their product to
get back my network access.
Nurmi

Re: Gateway TimeOut only when
Hallo VanguardLH!
Thank you very much for your patient, knowledgeable, speedy replies and
helpful suggestions. Where would we novices be, (especially we old ones) if
it were not for people like you!
Disableing WPAD (Web Proxy Auto-Discover) in Inernet Explorer did the trick.
I wish you and yours a good 2009!

--
Nurmi