Homepage stuck on IE7 download site?

POSOMM

Homepage stuck on IE7 download site?
1. After downloading & installing IE7, every time I open my browser it goes
to: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx. Not the page
I have set as my home page.

2. Also there is a change in startup to include "NolE4StubProcessing". Could
not find any info. Is this part of IE7 ?

Re: Homepage stuck on IE7 download site?
You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest that
you...

1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
Programs!]

2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds).

2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.

3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10 &
#11; take note of #12, then STOP!

NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the

Or Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
Optional category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's additional
security.

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

What's New in Internet Explorer 7

Release Notes
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

POSOMM wrote:
> 1. After downloading & installing IE7, every time I open my browser it
> goes
> to: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx. Not the
> page I have set as my home page.
>
> 2. Also there is a change in startup to include "NolE4StubProcessing".
> Could
> not find any info. Is this part of IE7 ?

POSOMM

Re: Homepage stuck on IE7 download site?
Very helpful thankyou. But I am running XPSP3 and have found out that I will
have to uninstall SP3 then IE7 (2x restarts).
Then reinstall SP3 then IE7 and updates (2x restarts). I hope thats right?

Sorry to be such a noob. Just want to be sure.

Re: Homepage stuck on IE7 download site?
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]

Which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?
--
~PA Bear

POSOMM wrote:
> Very helpful thankyou. But I am running XPSP3 and have found out that I
> will
> have to uninstall SP3 then IE7 (2x restarts).
> Then reinstall SP3 then IE7 and updates (2x restarts). I hope thats right?
>
> Sorry to be such a noob. Just want to be sure.

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest that
> you...
>
> 1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
> %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
> Programs!]
>
> 2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including
> Window
> Blinds).
>
> 2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.
>
> 3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10 &
> #11; take note of #12, then STOP!
>
> NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the
> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update.
>
> Or Direct Download link:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b
>
> Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.
>
> 4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
> critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in
> the
> Optional category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's additional
> security.
>
> Also see:
>
> IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
>
> What's New in Internet Explorer 7
>
> Release Notes
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx
>
> IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
>
> POSOMM wrote:
>> 1. After downloading & installing IE7, every time I open my browser it
>> goes
>> to: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx. Not the
>> page I have set as my home page.
>>
>> 2. Also there is a change in startup to include "NolE4StubProcessing".
>> Could
>> not find any info. Is this part of IE7 ?

POSOMM

Re: Homepage stuck on IE7 download site?
Sorry for the delay. I believe I had IE7 Beta installed before I installed SP3.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
> message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]
>
> Which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> POSOMM wrote:
> > Very helpful thankyou. But I am running XPSP3 and have found out that I
> > will
> > have to uninstall SP3 then IE7 (2x restarts).
> > Then reinstall SP3 then IE7 and updates (2x restarts). I hope thats right?
> >
> > Sorry to be such a noob. Just want to be sure.

> <paste>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> > You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest that
> > you...
> >
> > 1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
> > http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
> > %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
> > Programs!]
> >
> > 2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including
> > Window
> > Blinds).
> >
> > 2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.
> >
> > 3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
> > http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10 &
> > #11; take note of #12, then STOP!
> >
> > NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the
> > installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update.
> >
> > Or Direct Download link:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b
> >
> > Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.
> >
> > 4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
> > critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in
> > the
> > Optional category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's additional
> > security.
> >
> > Also see:
> >
> > IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
> >
> > What's New in Internet Explorer 7
> > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms649487.aspx
> >
> > Release Notes
> > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx
> >
> > IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
> >
> > POSOMM wrote:
> >> 1. After downloading & installing IE7, every time I open my browser it
> >> goes
> >> to: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx. Not the
> >> page I have set as my home page.
> >>
> >> 2. Also there is a change in startup to include "NolE4StubProcessing".
> >> Could
> >> not find any info. Is this part of IE7 ?

Re: Homepage stuck on IE7 download site?
When did you install IE7?

Add\Remove Programs: Is there a REMOVED or UNINSTALL button available to the
right of "Windows Internet Explorer 7 (Beta)"?

POSOMM wrote:
> Sorry for the delay. I believe I had IE7 Beta installed before I installed
> SP3.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of
>> previous
>> message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]
>>
>> Which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> POSOMM wrote:
>>> Very helpful thankyou. But I am running XPSP3 and have found out that I
>>> will
>>> have to uninstall SP3 then IE7 (2x restarts).
>>> Then reinstall SP3 then IE7 and updates (2x restarts). I hope thats
>>> right?
>>>
>>> Sorry to be such a noob. Just want to be sure.

>> <paste>
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>> You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest
>>> that
>>> you...
>>>
>>> 1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
>>> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
>>> %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via
>>> Add/Remove
>>> Programs!]
>>>
>>> 2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including
>>> Window
>>> Blinds).
>>>
>>> 2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.
>>>
>>> 3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
>>> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10
>>> &
>>> #11; take note of #12, then STOP!
>>>
>>> NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the
>>> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update.
>>>
>>> Or Direct Download link:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b
>>>
>>> Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.
>>>
>>> 4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
>>> critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in
>>> the
>>> Optional category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's additional
>>> security.
>>>
>>> Also see:
>>>
>>> IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
>>>
>>> What's New in Internet Explorer 7
>>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms649487.aspx
>>>
>>> Release Notes
>>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx
>>>
>>> IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx

POSOMM

Re: Homepage stuck on IE7 download site?
I am not sure when IE7 Beta was installed but in the "add or remove
components" through control panel I did not have the option to remove it.
So I followed the recommendations from your link & removed SP3 then
restarted twice. Then i was able to remove IE7, again restarting twice. Then
I downloaded & reinstalled SP3 then restarted twice. Then downloaded &
installed IE7 from the MS site you said and restarted twice.
Sorry but the original hijacking of my home page still happens. At a
complete loss now. lol

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> When did you install IE7?
>
> Add\Remove Programs: Is there a REMOVED or UNINSTALL button available to the
> right of "Windows Internet Explorer 7 (Beta)"?
>
> POSOMM wrote:
> > Sorry for the delay. I believe I had IE7 Beta installed before I installed
> > SP3.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> [To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of
> >> previous
> >> message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]
> >>
> >> Which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

> >> <paste>

Re: Homepage stuck on IE7 download site?
Did you uninstall/reinstall IE exactly per #1 through #4 in my first reply
to this thread?

See http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubles...sp#updatecheck
--
~PA Bear

POSOMM wrote:
> I am not sure when IE7 Beta was installed but in the "add or remove
> components" through control panel I did not have the option to remove it.
> So I followed the recommendations from your link & removed SP3 then
> restarted twice. Then i was able to remove IE7, again restarting twice.
> Then
> I downloaded & reinstalled SP3 then restarted twice. Then downloaded &
> installed IE7 from the MS site you said and restarted twice.
> Sorry but the original hijacking of my home page still happens. At a
> complete loss now. lol
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> When did you install IE7?
>>
>> Add\Remove Programs: Is there a REMOVED or UNINSTALL button available to
>> the right of "Windows Internet Explorer 7 (Beta)"?
>>
>> POSOMM wrote:
>>> Sorry for the delay. I believe I had IE7 Beta installed before I
>>> installed
>>> SP3.

POSOMM

Re: Homepage stuck on IE7 download site?
Yes I followed all your advice. Spybot was the problem. I had not turned all
the reg protection off. Now all is well.

Thankyou so much for all the help & tolerance 8 )

"May you live long & prosper my friend"

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Did you uninstall/reinstall IE exactly per #1 through #4 in my first reply
> to this thread?
>
> See http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubles...sp#updatecheck
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> POSOMM wrote:
> > I am not sure when IE7 Beta was installed but in the "add or remove
> > components" through control panel I did not have the option to remove it.
> > So I followed the recommendations from your link & removed SP3 then
> > restarted twice. Then i was able to remove IE7, again restarting twice.
> > Then
> > I downloaded & reinstalled SP3 then restarted twice. Then downloaded &
> > installed IE7 from the MS site you said and restarted twice.
> > Sorry but the original hijacking of my home page still happens. At a
> > complete loss now. lol
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> When did you install IE7?
> >>
> >> Add\Remove Programs: Is there a REMOVED or UNINSTALL button available to
> >> the right of "Windows Internet Explorer 7 (Beta)"?

Re: Homepage stuck on IE7 download site?
YW & thanks for your feedback.