IE7 does nothing!

Tyler&Kelly

IE7 does nothing!
My computer was working fine until this morning. I hadn't even rebooted the
computer since last night, when it was working. Now, IE7 does nothing. When
I open it, it says it's trying to connect, but it never does. It never even
times out. It just sits there... It does the same thing when I try to open
a web site that is saved to the computer, which shouldn't even require the
internet. I have tried rebooting a couple of times, with the same results.

The internet connection is working. I tested this by telling AVG to update,
which it did successfully. AdAware, on the other hand, freezes when I tell
it to update. I tried to open a Shockwave game, which should open without an
internet connection, then give me the option of signing in online. It just
comes up as a white screen and freezes there.

I guess this might not be a problem with IE7, but that's the best guess I
have. I would appreciate any help!

Re: IE7 does nothing!
Chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Tyler&Kelly wrote:
> My computer was working fine until this morning. I hadn't even rebooted
> the
> computer since last night, when it was working. Now, IE7 does nothing.
> When I open it, it says it's trying to connect, but it never does. It
> never even times out. It just sits there... It does the same thing when
> try to open a web site that is saved to the computer, which shouldn't even
> require the internet. I have tried rebooting a couple of times, with the
> same results.
>
> The internet connection is working. I tested this by telling AVG to
> update,
> which it did successfully. AdAware, on the other hand, freezes when I
> tell
> it to update. I tried to open a Shockwave game, which should open without
> an internet connection, then give me the option of signing in online. It
> just comes up as a white screen and freezes there.
>
> I guess this might not be a problem with IE7, but that's the best guess I
> have. I would appreciate any help!

Tyler&Kelly

Re: IE7 does nothing!
Thanks for the thorough response! I'll try this tonight and let you know how
it goes.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection.

> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>
> 3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
> log to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Tyler&Kelly wrote:
> > My computer was working fine until this morning. I hadn't even rebooted
> > the
> > computer since last night, when it was working. Now, IE7 does nothing.
> > When I open it, it says it's trying to connect, but it never does. It
> > never even times out. It just sits there... It does the same thing when
> > try to open a web site that is saved to the computer, which shouldn't even
> > require the internet. I have tried rebooting a couple of times, with the
> > same results.
> >
> > The internet connection is working. I tested this by telling AVG to
> > update,
> > which it did successfully. AdAware, on the other hand, freezes when I
> > tell
> > it to update. I tried to open a Shockwave game, which should open without
> > an internet connection, then give me the option of signing in online. It
> > just comes up as a white screen and freezes there.
> >
> > I guess this might not be a problem with IE7, but that's the best guess I
> > have. I would appreciate any help!

Re: IE7 does nothing!
YW. You will need to use another computer to download your tools, etc., if
IE still doesn't work in Safe Mode w/Networking.