Revert to IE6?

Looking for an easy way to go back from IE7 to IE6.
Is there an installer for IE6?
Can they coexist, or does IE7 need to be removed?

PS: If you're wondering, my problems with IE7:
The 'favorites' menu insists on expanding all folders.
Some of the top toolbars are now locked into set positions. (why?)
Gordon

Re: Revert to IE6?
"--" <--@spammersmustdie.com> wrote in message
> Looking for an easy way to go back from IE7 to IE6.
> Is there an installer for IE6?
> Can they coexist, or does IE7 need to be removed?
>
> PS: If you're wondering, my problems with IE7:
> The 'favorites' menu insists on expanding all folders.
> Some of the top toolbars are now locked into set positions. (why?)

If you have Vista, then no you can't go back to IE6.
If you are on XP, then uninstall it like any normal application. (There is
some problem with the timing of SP3 - do a Google..)

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Re: Revert to IE6?
posting to this newsgroup.

> The 'favorites' menu insists on expanding all folders.

When you open Favorites Center? When you open Favorites dropdown on Menu
bar? When you go to add a Favorite?

> Some of the top toolbars are now locked into set positions.

To which "top toolbars" are you referring, Menu bar? ...Command bar?

-- wrote:
> Looking for an easy way to go back from IE7 to IE6.
> Is there an installer for IE6?
> Can they coexist, or does IE7 need to be removed?
>
> PS: If you're wondering, my problems with IE7:
> The 'favorites' menu insists on expanding all folders.
> Some of the top toolbars are now locked into set positions. (why?)

Re: Revert to IE6?
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:17:40 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>posting to this newsgroup.
>
>> The 'favorites' menu insists on expanding all folders.

>When you open Favorites Center? When you open Favorites dropdown on Menu
>bar? When you go to add a Favorite?

Thanks for your reply, PA Bear. I thought that my intent would be
obvious from context. I was speaking of adding an item to Favorites,
of course. As far as I know, neither the Favorites Center or the
Favorites dropdown have a mode where all the folders are
auto-expanded, do they? I have to wonder why Add to Favorites would
be the only function to do that.

Do you know of a registry tweak to stop that? (I doubt that it
exists, since I see know evidence that they used a Tree control for
the Add menu. I'm assuming that I will have to uninstall IE7)

>> Some of the top toolbars are now locked into set positions.

>To which "top toolbars" are you referring, Menu bar? ...Command bar?

Address bar and Command bar, of course. As far as I know, they left
the Menu bar and Links bar functioning as they did in IE6. (Unless
you know of cases where that is not correct?)

Strange that Address and Command would have been singled out to be
permanently locked. I don't get the logic of that decision either.

IE7, as it is, isn't usable for me. I'm not optimistic about getting
this fixed with registry tweaks, and it sounds like IE8 does not
improve on any of this (comments welcome). So I will apparently need
to uninstall IE7 and reinstall IE6.

newsueom4p410p5v2rprgc8uqob4n68eel7mh@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:17:40 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
>
> Strange that Address and Command would have been singled out to be
> permanently locked. I don't get the logic of that decision either.
>
> IE7, as it is, isn't usable for me.

And that REALLY makes Internet Explorer UNUSABLE?????????
Do you send a new car back because they've changed the position of switches
and dials? No of course you don't...

Jerez - why not just USE it as it is, like MILLIONS of others.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Gordon

Re: Revert to IE6?
"--" <--@spammersmustdie.com> wrote in message
newsueom4p410p5v2rprgc8uqob4n68eel7mh@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:17:40 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
>
> Strange that Address and Command would have been singled out to be
> permanently locked. I don't get the logic of that decision either.
>
> IE7, as it is, isn't usable for me.

And that REALLY makes Internet Explorer UNUSABLE?????????
Do you send a new car back because they've changed the position of switches
and dials? No of course you don't...

Jeeeez - why not just USE it as it is, like MILLIONS of others.

<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>posting to this newsgroup.
>
>> The 'favorites' menu insists on expanding all folders.

>When you open Favorites Center? When you open Favorites dropdown on Menu
>bar? When you go to add a Favorite?
>
>> Some of the top toolbars are now locked into set positions.

>To which "top toolbars" are you referring, Menu bar? ...Command bar?
>
>-- wrote:
>> Looking for an easy way to go back from IE7 to IE6.
>> Is there an installer for IE6?
>> Can they coexist, or does IE7 need to be removed?
>>
>> PS: If you're wondering, my problems with IE7:
>> The 'favorites' menu insists on expanding all folders.
>> Some of the top toolbars are now locked into set positions. (why?)

PS: Just ran across more threads where users speak of uninstalling IE7
because of this new 'feature':

Apparently the problem is not fixable via registry tweak.

Comments by Vanguard here sum it up well:

Vanguard stated the same thing that I had: ComboBox controls are not
designed for navigating potentially long hierarchical structures like
folders. Tree controls, or variants, are used everywhere that this is
done in the rest of the world. (Can you imagine permanently expanding
all folders in Windows Explorer and making a user scroll through an
entire drive?) This would seem like an obvious thing to a third year
programmer, not to mention anyone with UI design experience. So I'm
very surprised to see this.

So...Microsoft just made a bad design decision. The only hope is that
this gets fixed in IE8.

Re: Revert to IE6?
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 07:27:46 -0000, "Gordon"
<gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>"--" <--@spammersmustdie.com> wrote in message
>newsueom4p410p5v2rprgc8uqob4n68eel7mh@4ax.com.. .
>> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:17:40 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
>>
>> Strange that Address and Command would have been singled out to be
>> permanently locked. I don't get the logic of that decision either.
>>
>> IE7, as it is, isn't usable for me.

>And that REALLY makes Internet Explorer UNUSABLE?????????
>Do you send a new car back because they've changed the position of switches
>and dials? No of course you don't...

How about if it took a half an hour to get it in gear?

>Jerez - why not just USE it as it is, like MILLIONS of others.

Now now. You snipped my comments about why it is unusable:

My previous comment, replaced:
-------
.....I was speaking of adding an item to Favorites,
of course. As far as I know, neither the Favorites Center or the
Favorites dropdown have a mode where all the folders are
auto-expanded, do they? I have to wonder why Add to Favorites would
be the only function to do that.

Do you know of a registry tweak to stop that? (I doubt that it
exists, since I see know evidence that they used a Tree control for
the Add menu. I'm assuming that I will have to uninstall IE7)
-------

To put this into perspective: A couple of our development machines
have 1500 folders in Favorites. They're sorted references to various
programming sites, code snippets, etc. IE7 takes about 20 seconds just
crunching before even thinking about opening the menu. Then I'm forced
to scroll through page after page of folder names looking for the
target folder.

If you think that is usable, I invite you to try a test. Using TweakUI
(from Microsoft's site), you can set your Favorites folder to any
location that you want. (Or you could just rename your current
favorites, etc). Find a tree with 1000 subfolders, set Favorites to
it temporarily, and see if you still think that's well-written, usable
code. <g>

If you don't have that large a folder tree, and if you can compile C#
code, I can write a program to create the tree for you.

IE6's Add-to-Favorites function was perfectly usable, and evidently
even included intelligent 'deferred' handlers for opening TreeControl
branches (otherwise, it would still take 20 seconds to create the
control, whether all nodes were displayed or not).

Since this would not have been a frontline security issue, I don't
understand why Microsoft broke their code. That should have been
reviewed by knowledgable users who understand more stressful
operational modes.
Donald Anadell

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:17:40 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
> <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>>posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>>> The 'favorites' menu insists on expanding all folders.

>>When you open Favorites Center? When you open Favorites dropdown on Menu
>>bar? When you go to add a Favorite?
>>
>>> Some of the top toolbars are now locked into set positions.

>>To which "top toolbars" are you referring, Menu bar? ...Command bar?
>>
>>-- wrote:
>>> Looking for an easy way to go back from IE7 to IE6.
>>> Is there an installer for IE6?
>>> Can they coexist, or does IE7 need to be removed?
>>>
>>> PS: If you're wondering, my problems with IE7:
>>> The 'favorites' menu insists on expanding all folders.
>>> Some of the top toolbars are now locked into set positions. (why?)

> PS: Just ran across more threads where users speak of uninstalling IE7
> because of this new 'feature':
>
> Apparently the problem is not fixable via registry tweak.
>
> Comments by Vanguard here sum it up well:
>
> Vanguard stated the same thing that I had: ComboBox controls are not
> designed for navigating potentially long hierarchical structures like
> folders. Tree controls, or variants, are used everywhere that this is
> done in the rest of the world. (Can you imagine permanently expanding
> all folders in Windows Explorer and making a user scroll through an
> entire drive?) This would seem like an obvious thing to a third year
> programmer, not to mention anyone with UI design experience. So I'm
> very surprised to see this.
>
> So...Microsoft just made a bad design decision.

>The only hope is that
> this gets fixed in IE8.

I wouldn't bet the farm on this getting resolved in IE8, the Expanded
Favorites Folders issue is still present in IE8 Beta 2.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

Re: Revert to IE6?
WYSIWYG (and we still don't know your Windows version).