Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

So much was right about IE6

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2009
trainor
 

Posts: n/a
So much was right about IE6
I reformatted a friend's hard drive and once installed I loved IE6's layout
all over again. So on my own computer I went from 8.2 BETA to the 7, then to
the 6 and just love it, but missed the tabs is all.

I notice that many complaints in this newsgroup, at CNET relate to issues
that IE6 had nicely resolved. With IE6 I could move the entire address bar
with accompanying buttons to the right of the file menu - WAS GREAT!
Microsoft, why make toolbar relocation options so limited in IE7 & 8? I do
not like the HOME buttom clear to the right on the tab bar line - I liked it,
with the Refresh and Stop buttons exactly as they were in IE6.

Thank you very much for listening.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2009
Leonard Grey
 

Posts: n/a
Re: So much was right about IE6
What you're talking about is eye candy. You completely ignore the
significantly upgraded security of IE 7. Internet Explorer is about web
browsing. You want to play dress-up.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

trainor wrote:
> I reformatted a friend's hard drive and once installed I loved IE6's layout
> all over again. So on my own computer I went from 8.2 BETA to the 7, then to
> the 6 and just love it, but missed the tabs is all.
>
> I notice that many complaints in this newsgroup, at CNET relate to issues
> that IE6 had nicely resolved. With IE6 I could move the entire address bar
> with accompanying buttons to the right of the file menu - WAS GREAT!
> Microsoft, why make toolbar relocation options so limited in IE7 & 8? I do
> not like the HOME buttom clear to the right on the tab bar line - I liked it,
> with the Refresh and Stop buttons exactly as they were in IE6.
>
> Thank you very much for listening.
>
> ----------------
> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2009
Bob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: So much was right about IE6
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 19:44:54 -0500, Leonard Grey
<l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>What you're talking about is eye candy. You completely ignore the
>significantly upgraded security of IE 7. Internet Explorer is about web
>browsing. You want to play dress-up.
>---
>Leonard Grey
>Errare humanum est


So get yourself an ugly girlfriend so no one will hit on her? <g>
Seriously, I believe MS could address security without making the UI
so clunky. They did have a lot of things right in IE6 that are now
broken, or at least ugly.

>
>trainor wrote:
>> I reformatted a friend's hard drive and once installed I loved IE6's layout
>> all over again. So on my own computer I went from 8.2 BETA to the 7, then to
>> the 6 and just love it, but missed the tabs is all.
>>
>> I notice that many complaints in this newsgroup, at CNET relate to issues
>> that IE6 had nicely resolved. With IE6 I could move the entire address bar
>> with accompanying buttons to the right of the file menu - WAS GREAT!
>> Microsoft, why make toolbar relocation options so limited in IE7 & 8? I do
>> not like the HOME buttom clear to the right on the tab bar line - I liked it,
>> with the Refresh and Stop buttons exactly as they were in IE6.
>>
>> Thank you very much for listening.
>>
>> ----------------
>> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
>> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
>> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2009
Leonard Grey
 

Posts: n/a
Re: So much was right about IE6
Tell me: Can you change the way the gauges are laid out on your car's
dashboard? Can you rearrange the controls on your microwave? Of course
not...these are designed with function and safety as first considerations.

If I was designing a web browser, and I was getting hammered by internet
scammers, and I had only X number of people I could assign to the job, I
would tell them "Address security first! This is a web browser, not Barbie."
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Bob wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 19:44:54 -0500, Leonard Grey
> <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> What you're talking about is eye candy. You completely ignore the
>> significantly upgraded security of IE 7. Internet Explorer is about web
>> browsing. You want to play dress-up.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est

>
> So get yourself an ugly girlfriend so no one will hit on her? <g>
> Seriously, I believe MS could address security without making the UI
> so clunky. They did have a lot of things right in IE6 that are now
> broken, or at least ugly.
>
>> trainor wrote:
>>> I reformatted a friend's hard drive and once installed I loved IE6's layout
>>> all over again. So on my own computer I went from 8.2 BETA to the 7, then to
>>> the 6 and just love it, but missed the tabs is all.
>>>
>>> I notice that many complaints in this newsgroup, at CNET relate to issues
>>> that IE6 had nicely resolved. With IE6 I could move the entire address bar
>>> with accompanying buttons to the right of the file menu - WAS GREAT!
>>> Microsoft, why make toolbar relocation options so limited in IE7 & 8? I do
>>> not like the HOME buttom clear to the right on the tab bar line - I liked it,
>>> with the Refresh and Stop buttons exactly as they were in IE6.
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for listening.
>>>
>>> ----------------
>>> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>>> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
>>> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
>>> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
>>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2009
Bob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: So much was right about IE6
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 08:56:08 -0500, Leonard Grey
<l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Tell me: Can you change the way the gauges are laid out on your car's
>dashboard? Can you rearrange the controls on your microwave? Of course
>not...these are designed with function and safety as first considerations.
>
>If I was designing a web browser, and I was getting hammered by internet
>scammers, and I had only X number of people I could assign to the job, I
>would tell them "Address security first! This is a web browser, not Barbie."
>---
>Leonard Grey
>Errare humanum est


Leonard, With all respect, IE6 DID have the ability to rearrange its
"dashboard", so it was not a matter of adding new features; they
subtracted useful ones. As others have mentioned, there are other nice
UI features in IE6 that ended up being removed or changed to something
clunky in IE7. No apparent logic to some of the decisions, and they
actually had to spend programmer hours to screw this up.

UI code is far removed from security issues, so I can't imagine how
any of that would relate to security.

Some of the ugly UI stuff in IE7 renders it unusable for me. For
example: I personally need to keep a lot of Favorites folders IE7,
for some bizarre reason, insists on expanding all of them when adding
a link. It takes up to 20 seconds while IE7 crunches to expand all
those subfolders, then I have to scroll through page after page of
expanded folders. At least there should have been an option to use a
conventional tree control, as on IE6.

That was just bad UI design. Can you imagine designing a drive folder
browser, like Explorer, like that?

Of course, if you don't need the same features, I can understand why
that would not matter much to you. Bottom line is that if I can't use
the browser, then heightened security is not a strong selling point.


>Bob wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 19:44:54 -0500, Leonard Grey
>> <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> What you're talking about is eye candy. You completely ignore the
>>> significantly upgraded security of IE 7. Internet Explorer is about web
>>> browsing. You want to play dress-up.
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est

>>
>> So get yourself an ugly girlfriend so no one will hit on her? <g>
>> Seriously, I believe MS could address security without making the UI
>> so clunky. They did have a lot of things right in IE6 that are now
>> broken, or at least ugly.
>>
>>> trainor wrote:
>>>> I reformatted a friend's hard drive and once installed I loved IE6's layout
>>>> all over again. So on my own computer I went from 8.2 BETA to the 7, then to
>>>> the 6 and just love it, but missed the tabs is all.
>>>>
>>>> I notice that many complaints in this newsgroup, at CNET relate to issues
>>>> that IE6 had nicely resolved. With IE6 I could move the entire address bar
>>>> with accompanying buttons to the right of the file menu - WAS GREAT!
>>>> Microsoft, why make toolbar relocation options so limited in IE7 & 8? I do
>>>> not like the HOME buttom clear to the right on the tab bar line - I liked it,
>>>> with the Refresh and Stop buttons exactly as they were in IE6.
>>>>
>>>> Thank you very much for listening.
>>>>
>>>> ----------------
>>>> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>>>> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
>>>> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
>>>> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
>>>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>>>
>>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:10.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120