Starting IE7 Opens Error Reporting Window

Justin

Starting IE7 Opens Error Reporting Window
When I start Internet Explorer 7, it opens an Error Reporting window in
addition to my home page. It's a nuisance more than anything and slows
things down. I'd like to fix it so that when I start IE7, it only opens my
home page. I suspect it's something in the registry, but I'm not sure where
to look. Thanks for your help.
--
Justin
Don Varnau

Re: Starting IE7 Opens Error Reporting Window
Hi,
Windows XP or Vista?

Does this happen if you set a different homepage?
How about if the home page is "about blank?"
- - -
If the problem occurs with another (or no) homepage...

Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.

For troubleshooting information see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

More at:
Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

- - -
Next...
This may be a malware problem- adware, spyware, hijacker, trojan, etc.

See these sites for help:

The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

SpywareHammer
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...um/index.php#3
Start here >>>
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?topic=87.0

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Removing Malware:

827315- Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software:

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I start Internet Explorer 7, it opens an Error Reporting window in
> addition to my home page. It's a nuisance more than anything and slows
> things down. I'd like to fix it so that when I start IE7, it only opens

my
> home page. I suspect it's something in the registry, but I'm not sure

where
> to look. Thanks for your help.
>
> Justin

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Starting IE7 Opens Error Reporting Window

"Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99955D23-8A40-4330-920A-E83EE883E31B@microsoft.com...
> When I start Internet Explorer 7, it opens an Error Reporting window in
> addition to my home page. It's a nuisance more than anything and slows
> things down. I'd like to fix it so that when I start IE7, it only opens my
> home page.

Try bypassing your Home page. E.g. Run... (press Win-R and enter

iexplore.exe -nohome -extoff

Does the problem symptom occur then?

> I suspect it's something in the registry,

Why? It's more likely to be an interfering third-party program.
BTW you might even be lucky and be able to identify it from
the Error Signature. E.g. use the [click here] link on your "nuisance"
Error Reporting dialog. Even better though would be to capture
a Stack Back Trace associated with that error event.
Unfortunately, MS make it unnecessarily difficult to do that.
drwtsn32.log is the traditional diagnostic for that.
Using ProcMon (and even, supposedly Process Explorer) are others.

> but I'm not sure where to look. Thanks for your help.
> --
> Justin

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Justin

Re: Starting IE7 Opens Error Reporting Window
I reset the home page and the problem went away. That was easy! Thanks,
--
Justin

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Windows XP or Vista?
>
> Does this happen if you set a different homepage?
> How about if the home page is "about blank?"
> - - -
> If the problem occurs with another (or no) homepage...
>
> Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
> Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
> or
> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
> If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.
>
> For troubleshooting information see:
> 928426- Internet Explorer 7 may exit immediately when it includes an add-on
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426
>
> More at:
> Problem: Crashes or hangs
> http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
>
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> - - -
> Next...
> This may be a malware problem- adware, spyware, hijacker, trojan, etc.
>
> See these sites for help:
>
> The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>
> SpywareHammer
> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...um/index.php#3
> Start here >>>
> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?topic=87.0
>
> Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> Removing Malware:
>
> 827315- Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=827315
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I start Internet Explorer 7, it opens an Error Reporting window in
> > addition to my home page. It's a nuisance more than anything and slows
> > things down. I'd like to fix it so that when I start IE7, it only opens

> my
> > home page. I suspect it's something in the registry, but I'm not sure

> where
> > to look. Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Justin

Don Varnau

Re: Starting IE7 Opens Error Reporting Window
You're welcome. Thanks for the update.