Re: Internet Explorer 7.0 blocking access -Really need help please

Re: Internet Explorer 7.0 blocking access -Really need help please
[Crossposted to IE General]

Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and seek
support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

On the web:

In your newsreader:

=============================

=> Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
or

2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

=> Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

=> Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

computerchallengedcc wrote:
> Suddenly 'something' seems to have changed & I cannot get to my e-Mail
> through Comcast.net. The url is http://smartzone.comcast.net
> It appears to be loading quickly as normal, but I can't get past the
> I am assuming it has to be a setting I inadvertly changed since I can
> access
> fine if I use the latest Verison of Firefox instead of IE.
> Can anyone tell me where in Internet Options I should look, and what
> settings could have affected this?
> This is way over my head, so assuming it has to be something with IE, and
> not with my AV (Kaspersky Internet Suite 7.0) or Spybot Search & Destroy
> which I also have on my pc. I haven't used Firefox in the past tho, so
> don't know how that browser works differently with KIS or S &D, or even IF
> it does.
>
> Note; i also tried to access www.photobucket.com where I have an account.
> I received access denied.
> Can someone help me please? Thank you very much.

rob^_^

Re: Internet Explorer 7.0 blocking access -Really need help please
Hi dcc,

That address redirects to https://login.comcast.net/login?s=smartzone, for a
login prompt and it uses a cookie to hold user information.

Try accessing the login page directly. Once you login it should create a new
cookie for you,

Regards.

> [Crossposted to IE General]
>
> Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
> seek support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
>
> On the web:
>
> In your newsreader:
>
> =============================
>
> => Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
> start IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>
> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> Add-ons; or
>
> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
> (No add-ons).

> => Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
>
> => Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> computerchallengedcc wrote:
>> Suddenly 'something' seems to have changed & I cannot get to my e-Mail
>> through Comcast.net. The url is http://smartzone.comcast.net
>> It appears to be loading quickly as normal, but I can't get past the
>> I am assuming it has to be a setting I inadvertly changed since I can
>> access
>> fine if I use the latest Verison of Firefox instead of IE.
>> Can anyone tell me where in Internet Options I should look, and what
>> settings could have affected this?
>> This is way over my head, so assuming it has to be something with IE, and
>> not with my AV (Kaspersky Internet Suite 7.0) or Spybot Search & Destroy
>> which I also have on my pc. I haven't used Firefox in the past tho, so
>> don't know how that browser works differently with KIS or S &D, or even
>> IF
>> it does.
>>
>> Note; i also tried to access www.photobucket.com where I have an
>> account.
>> I received access denied.
>> Can someone help me please? Thank you very much.

JL

Re: Internet Explorer 7.0 blocking access -Really need help please
I am having problems with IE 7 since that last security update. I have xp on
a dell and a HP and all the pages load slower or have to be reinput for it
to respond. I noticed you said you had problems with Comcast, which I also
have and spent much time with them on Live Chat. There are errors on their
TV Planner page so it won't take the zip code. I gave them the error with
line, char, and the the exact message. They claim it is not Comcast and with
the other IE errors - I think it is IE that is causing the problem. It is
apparent to me that Comcast and IE are running into conflicts and neither
wants to admit it. Also Spybot previous to IE issues did start to act
strangely on all my systems so we had to remove and go withzone alarm which
is working great so far. Hope this helps some.

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi dcc,
>
> That address redirects to https://login.comcast.net/login?s=smartzone, for a
> login prompt and it uses a cookie to hold user information.
>

> Try accessing the login page directly. Once you login it should create a new
> cookie for you,
>
> Regards.

> > [Crossposted to IE General]
> >
> > Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
> > seek support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
> >
> > On the web:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general
> >
> > In your newsreader:
> >
> > =============================
> >
> > => Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
> > start IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
> >
> > 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> > Add-ons; or
> >
> > 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
> > (No add-ons).
> >
> > Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >
> > => Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
> >
> > => Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> > [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >
> > computerchallengedcc wrote:
> >> Suddenly 'something' seems to have changed & I cannot get to my e-Mail
> >> through Comcast.net. The url is http://smartzone.comcast.net
> >> It appears to be loading quickly as normal, but I can't get past the
> >> I am assuming it has to be a setting I inadvertly changed since I can
> >> access
> >> fine if I use the latest Verison of Firefox instead of IE.
> >> Can anyone tell me where in Internet Options I should look, and what
> >> settings could have affected this?
> >> This is way over my head, so assuming it has to be something with IE, and
> >> not with my AV (Kaspersky Internet Suite 7.0) or Spybot Search & Destroy
> >> which I also have on my pc. I haven't used Firefox in the past tho, so
> >> don't know how that browser works differently with KIS or S &D, or even
> >> IF
> >> it does.
> >>
> >> Note; i also tried to access www.photobucket.com where I have an
> >> account.
> >> I received access denied.
> >> Can someone help me please? Thank you very much.

computerchallengedcc

Re: Internet Explorer 7.0 blocking access -Really need help please
I am late in getting back here, have tried so many settings in IE & in
KIS...and probably made things worse.
I tried booting without add-ons with the same result.
I think a possible problem is I have Security restricted Zones set to high,
and cannot figure out a way to re-set to a lower setting, and don't know why
that is? My laptop is set to med-high.
Does it help at all to know that I have completely disabled KIS and still
cannot get anything but a blank window -Which, with my limited knowledge
tells me that I have somehow messed up somewhere in the Internet Explorer
settings.
But- since I know so little, don't know if that could be it, but perhaps you
do.
Showing my ignorance but need help, so will admit that I don't know what you
mean when you said to go into safemode with networking... but maybe that
means with my cable still connected while going into safemode?
I see you also said to reset IE7 & see if that works.... I admit I forgot
about trying that yet.
I have spent hours literally comparing the IE settings on my laptop againest
the IE settings on my desktop pc (that has the problem) Have also tried to
compare all settings with KIS too. But- since I still can't get the comcast
homepage to load,etc. even when I have disabled KIS completely, do you think
this IS an issue with IE7?
FWIW- what are the odds that uninstalling & reinstalling IE 7 would work
out? I had IE 7 on this pc when I bought it, keep Windows Updates current,
and now do have SP3 on it as well.
Sorry for the stupidity, but hope you can advise me further. Thank you.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crossposted to IE General]
>
> Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and seek
> support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
>
> On the web:
>
> In your newsreader:
>
> =============================
>
> => Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>
> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
> or
>
> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
> (No add-ons).

> => Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
>
> => Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> computerchallengedcc wrote:
> > Suddenly 'something' seems to have changed & I cannot get to my e-Mail
> > through Comcast.net. The url is http://smartzone.comcast.net
> > It appears to be loading quickly as normal, but I can't get past the
> > I am assuming it has to be a setting I inadvertly changed since I can
> > access
> > fine if I use the latest Verison of Firefox instead of IE.
> > Can anyone tell me where in Internet Options I should look, and what
> > settings could have affected this?
> > This is way over my head, so assuming it has to be something with IE, and
> > not with my AV (Kaspersky Internet Suite 7.0) or Spybot Search & Destroy
> > which I also have on my pc. I haven't used Firefox in the past tho, so
> > don't know how that browser works differently with KIS or S &D, or even IF
> > it does.
> >
> > Note; i also tried to access www.photobucket.com where I have an account.
> > I received access denied.
> > Can someone help me please? Thank you very much.

Re: Internet Explorer 7.0 blocking access -Really need help please
> I think a possible problem is I have Security restricted Zones set to
> high,
> and cannot figure out a way to re-set to a lower setting,

IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | select Restricted Sites & press
either the Default Level button or the Reset All Zones button.

> ...I don't know what you
> mean when you said to go into safemode with networking...

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

> I see you also said to reset IE7 & see if that works.... I admit I forgot
> about trying that yet.

Try it now. Doing so will also reset all Security zones to the default.

> FWIW- what are the odds that uninstalling & reinstalling IE 7 would work
> out? I had IE 7 on this pc when I bought it, keep Windows Updates
> current,
> and now do have SP3 on it as well.

I do NOT think the problem is with IE(7) itself. In any event, you'd first
have to uninstall SP3 before you'd be able to uninstall/reinstall IE7 and I
wouldn't advise doing that, especially since this appears to be a sudden,
new problem. Speaking of which...

There's a very good chance that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware
infection.

1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually (in safe mode w/networking,
if need be): http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

You can obtain free support for all of this by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the
United States and in Canada (24/7).