IE7 not opening links in new windows correctly

Kev

IE7 not opening links in new windows correctly
Hi,

We are running XP SP3, IE7 with all updates, the computer runs fine except
for this issue.

On any webpage (even this one when I clicked on the New Post button) if I
click on a link which opens a new page, IE becomes unresponsive in the new
window. If I then click on the stop button, the cancelled navigation message
comes up and I then click on reload and the pages comes up as normal. Other
browsers work fine on the same pages, and other computers on the same network
(at home) using IE7 open the pages as normal. I have reset all security and
advanced settings in EI back to default. I've cleaned out Temp Int files,
cookies, history etc. I've run Spybot and found no spyware/adware/malware. I
am running Symantec AV Corporate Edition. I have no popup blockers/toolbars
etc loaded.

I have looked over http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=281679
which specifies the issue exactly but this is for IE6 so not suitable.

Can anybody help with this? I'd prefer my wife change to another browser
(not that you guys want to hear that!) but she has to stick with IE for some
things at her work.

Thanks a lot

Kev

Re: IE7 not opening links in new windows correctly
=> Is Tabbed browsing enabled?

=> Right-click on...

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file

Select PROPERTIES | VERSION: What version is it (e.g., v7.0.6000.16762)?

=> Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
or

2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

=> Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
[You may have tried this already.]

=> Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?

=> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
in the background when you installed WinXP SP3?

=> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
(e.g., a free-trial version preinstalled when you bought it)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Kev wrote:
> We are running XP SP3, IE7 with all updates, the computer runs fine except
> for this issue.
>
> On any webpage (even this one when I clicked on the New Post button) if I
> click on a link which opens a new page, IE becomes unresponsive in the new
> window. If I then click on the stop button, the cancelled navigation
> message
> comes up and I then click on reload and the pages comes up as normal.
> Other
> browsers work fine on the same pages, and other computers on the same
> network (at home) using IE7 open the pages as normal. I have reset all
> security and advanced settings in EI back to default. I've cleaned out
> Temp
> Int files, cookies, history etc. I've run Spybot and found no
> spyware/adware/malware. I am running Symantec AV Corporate Edition. I have
> no popup blockers/toolbars etc loaded.
>
> I have looked over http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=281679
> which specifies the issue exactly but this is for IE6 so not suitable.
>
> Can anybody help with this? I'd prefer my wife change to another browser
> (not that you guys want to hear that!) but she has to stick with IE for
> some
> things at her work.
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Kev

Kayman

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:40:00 -0800, Kev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are running XP SP3, IE7 with all updates, the computer runs fine except
> for this issue.
>
> On any webpage (even this one when I clicked on the New Post button) if I
> click on a link which opens a new page, IE becomes unresponsive in the new
> window. If I then click on the stop button, the cancelled navigation message
> comes up and I then click on reload and the pages comes up as normal. Other
> browsers work fine on the same pages, and other computers on the same network
> (at home) using IE7 open the pages as normal. I have reset all security and
> advanced settings in EI back to default. I've cleaned out Temp Int files,
> cookies, history etc. I've run Spybot and found no spyware/adware/malware. I
> am running Symantec AV Corporate Edition. I have no popup blockers/toolbars
> etc loaded.
>
> I have looked over http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=281679
> which specifies the issue exactly but this is for IE6 so not suitable.
>
> Can anybody help with this? I'd prefer my wife change to another browser
> (not that you guys want to hear that!) but she has to stick with IE for some
> things at her work.

1.Download/execute:
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
--and--
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE

2.Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29

NOTE:
Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora before posting
a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for the
respective HJT forum.

3.How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Read: "What you must know"
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and
Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

4.Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Good luck
Kev

Re: IE7 not opening links in new windows correctly
Hi PA Bear, thanks for responding. I've included my responses within your
post below. Hope it's easy enough to follow.

We were thinking about the timing of the problem and I have a feeling it
coincided with the recent "Urgent update" to IE7 that was well presented in
the media in December. Possibly this one -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-078.mspx
I can't be sure it happened at the same time but it may have.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Kev

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> => Is Tabbed browsing enabled?

Yes, but the problem only occurs when the link opens up in a new window.

> => Right-click on...
>
> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file
>
> Select PROPERTIES | VERSION: What version is it (e.g., v7.0.6000.16762)?

Version of Iexplore.exe - 7.0.6000.16762

> => Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>
> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
> or
>
> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
> (No add-ons).

Yes, the problem persists. I have looked through the add-ons and compared to
a working computer and there is nothing out of the ordinary.

> => Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
> [You may have tried this already.]

Already done this one, still persists

> => Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?

I haven't tried this and obviously will need to restart and lose this post
if I do. I'll come back and re-reply to the post!

> => What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed WinXP SP3?

Av - Symantec AV Corp Edition, all up to date
Anti Spyware - Spybot, plus regular scans with CCleaner
No additional firewall
I'd say SAV would have been running when I installed SP3

> => Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> (e.g., a free-trial version preinstalled when you bought it)?
> --

NO way! NAV is the worst program known to man!!