RE: Adobe PDF Printer problem with IE7's Protected Mode

ale

RE: Adobe PDF Printer problem with IE7's Protected Mode
I found an interesting and quick solution to this problem in an Adobe forum
on this topic. After the error is displayed, access task manager
(Ctrl-Alt-Del). From the applications tab, stop any Acrobat related
applications. From the Processes tab, stop any Acrobat related applications
(I had Acrotray.exe running that I stopped). Try to convert the file again
and it should work.

ale

RE: Adobe PDF Printer problem with IE7's Protected Mode
I played with this problem a little more. I believe that the issue is with
acrotray on computer startup. I disabled acrotray from starting on computer
startup and did not have the problem.

Acrotray is an Adobe file that is used to create the pdf files from the
various applications such as Word, Excel, IE, etc. When you select the option
to create the pdf from one of the applications, if acrotray is not already
running, it will start. Once you run Adobe, acrotray will run, but I do not
have problems with it starting from Acrobat. Maybe it is in the computer
startup sequence - acrotray may start too early when my computer starts.

To disable acrotray from running on startup, do the following:
Vista
Click Start
Type msconfig.exe in the Start Search line
Press Enter or select msconfig.exe from the list that is generated
Select Continue if you get the window, Windows needs your permission to
continue
In System Configuration, select the Startup tab
Clear the check box next to AcroTray
Click OK

XP
Click Start
Click Run
Type msconfig.exe in the Run line
Click OK
In System Configuration, select the Startup tab
Clear the check box next to AcroTray
Click OK
When you restart your computer, you will have to select the check box to not
run the notification utility everytime the computer starts.

These settings will take effect the next time you start your computer.
RaindropTexas

RE: Adobe PDF Printer problem with IE7's Protected Mode
I have Vista- preinstalled too- Adn when I find teh Sys Config box, there is
not a Acrotray to click off. There is Adobe Acrobat and Adobe photoshop
Album Starter but not the item mentioned in the suggestion.

Microsoft- This is extremely Frustrating and combined with the other issues
I have had with Vista makes me begin to lose confidence in you. PLEASE
restore my confidence AND my print capability!
****a

"ale" wrote:

> I played with this problem a little more. I believe that the issue is with
> acrotray on computer startup. I disabled acrotray from starting on computer
> startup and did not have the problem.
>
> Acrotray is an Adobe file that is used to create the pdf files from the
> various applications such as Word, Excel, IE, etc. When you select the option
> to create the pdf from one of the applications, if acrotray is not already
> running, it will start. Once you run Adobe, acrotray will run, but I do not
> have problems with it starting from Acrobat. Maybe it is in the computer
> startup sequence - acrotray may start too early when my computer starts.
>
> To disable acrotray from running on startup, do the following:
> Vista
> Click Start
> Type msconfig.exe in the Start Search line
> Press Enter or select msconfig.exe from the list that is generated
> Select Continue if you get the window, Windows needs your permission to
> continue
> In System Configuration, select the Startup tab
> Clear the check box next to AcroTray
> Click OK
>
> XP
> Click Start
> Click Run
> Type msconfig.exe in the Run line
> Click OK
> In System Configuration, select the Startup tab
> Clear the check box next to AcroTray
> Click OK
> When you restart your computer, you will have to select the check box to not
> run the notification utility everytime the computer starts.
>
> These settings will take effect the next time you start your computer.

ale

RE: Adobe PDF Printer problem with IE7's Protected Mode
****a,
Don't forget to click on the Startup tab at the top of the System
Configuration box. If you don't have AcroTray showing, try unchecking the
Adobe Acrobat check box. I don't think you need Acrobat starting on startup,
and your version may be different than mine where Acrobat starts and not
Acrotray (which is the Adobe print distiller helper application).
I believe that the problem is with Adobe, not Microsoft. Since I have
disabled Acrotray on startup back in January, I have not had this problem.