Cannot save form data-autocomplete

Jonas Grumby

Cannot save form data-autocomplete
Cannot save form data in IE7&8

Windows XP SP2 IE7 latest SP
Windows XP SP3 IE7 latest SP
Vista Ultimate SP1 IE7 latest SP
Vista Ultimate SP1 IE8 Beta 2

The PC in question went through the above migration and at no time did
AUTOCOMPLETE ever work.

The AUTOCOMPLETE checkboxes are indeed selected under CONTENT TAB and
ADVNCED TAB in options.

Autocomplete web addresses works.

Computer history PC was made from corporate image and I suspect a very very
special and well hidden group policy may be enabled.
Examples: Autologon disabled and remeber NTusername for Windows logon were
disabled. That stuff was easy to find and fix.

Tried so far.
Removed IE7 and IE8 numerous times.
Cleared TEMP internet files
Rebooted after changes
Cleared save autocomplete options cleared password and form data, rebooted.
Turned autocomplete on for all 3 fields.
Reinstalled IE7 many times. Upgraded to IE8.
Removed IE8.
Reinstalled IE 8.
It just won't save any form field in an web page I visit.

I browsed for an hour Group policy, found internet explorer in two places
(computer and user) everything set NOT CONFIGURED.
Nothing found in LOCAL SECURITY POLICY either.

I even added a new user added to ADMIN group and that person has same issue
also. So not applicable to my admin username.

The only clue I have is the following
In the registry in
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Intelliforms
there should be 3 subkeys

SPW
Storage1
Storage2

On a PC that does work IE8 XP SP3, these subkeys are quite full of encryted
data.
On the PC that does not work, these Subkeys were missing.
I manually added the three subkeys, rebooted and still did not work.

That is the only clue I have right now.
It did not work on IE7
It doesn't work on IE8 beta-2
I am now lost for next step.
Google search is not helping on this one.
Read millions of pages it seems.

Autocomplete web pages works, it is just forms that does not.

Re: Cannot save form data-autocomplete
If AutoComplete wasn't working in WinXP SP2/IE7, why did you think
installing SP3 or IE8B2 would fix it? Was AutoComplete working before IE7
was installed?

Was the HDD formatted before the image was installed?

Jonas Grumby wrote:
> Cannot save form data in IE7&8
>
> Windows XP SP2 IE7 latest SP
> Windows XP SP3 IE7 latest SP
> Vista Ultimate SP1 IE7 latest SP
> Vista Ultimate SP1 IE8 Beta 2
>
> The PC in question went through the above migration and at no time did
> AUTOCOMPLETE ever work.
>
> The AUTOCOMPLETE checkboxes are indeed selected under CONTENT TAB and
> ADVNCED TAB in options.
>
> Autocomplete web addresses works.
>
> Computer history PC was made from corporate image and I suspect a very
> very
> special and well hidden group policy may be enabled.
> Examples: Autologon disabled and remeber NTusername for Windows logon were
> disabled. That stuff was easy to find and fix.
>
> Tried so far.
> Removed IE7 and IE8 numerous times.
> Cleared TEMP internet files
> Rebooted after changes
> Cleared save autocomplete options cleared password and form data,
> rebooted.
> Turned autocomplete on for all 3 fields.
> Reinstalled IE7 many times. Upgraded to IE8.
> Removed IE8.
> Reinstalled IE 8.
> It just won't save any form field in an web page I visit.
>
> I browsed for an hour Group policy, found internet explorer in two places
> (computer and user) everything set NOT CONFIGURED.
> Nothing found in LOCAL SECURITY POLICY either.
>
> I even added a new user added to ADMIN group and that person has same
> issue
> also. So not applicable to my admin username.
>
> The only clue I have is the following
> In the registry in
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Intelliforms
> there should be 3 subkeys
>
> SPW
> Storage1
> Storage2
>
> On a PC that does work IE8 XP SP3, these subkeys are quite full of
> encryted
> data.
> On the PC that does not work, these Subkeys were missing.
> I manually added the three subkeys, rebooted and still did not work.
>
> That is the only clue I have right now.
> It did not work on IE7
> It doesn't work on IE8 beta-2
> I am now lost for next step.
> Google search is not helping on this one.
> Read millions of pages it seems.
>
> Autocomplete web pages works, it is just forms that does not.

Jonas Grumby

Re: Cannot save form data-autocomplete
PA Bear- As I stated autocomplete never worked. IE7 to IE8, XP to Vista was
not an attempt to fix the problem, only a normal migration path.

Image installed on brand new drive.

The key right now is SPW Storage1 and Storage2 subkeys not being created
either at installation of any IE or usage of any autocomplete function.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> If AutoComplete wasn't working in WinXP SP2/IE7, why did you think
> installing SP3 or IE8B2 would fix it? Was AutoComplete working before IE7
> was installed?
>
> Was the HDD formatted before the image was installed?
>
> Jonas Grumby wrote:
> > Cannot save form data in IE7&8
> >
> > Windows XP SP2 IE7 latest SP
> > Windows XP SP3 IE7 latest SP
> > Vista Ultimate SP1 IE7 latest SP
> > Vista Ultimate SP1 IE8 Beta 2
> >
> > The PC in question went through the above migration and at no time did
> > AUTOCOMPLETE ever work.
> >
> > The AUTOCOMPLETE checkboxes are indeed selected under CONTENT TAB and
> > ADVNCED TAB in options.
> >
> > Autocomplete web addresses works.
> >
> > Computer history PC was made from corporate image and I suspect a very
> > very
> > special and well hidden group policy may be enabled.
> > Examples: Autologon disabled and remeber NTusername for Windows logon were
> > disabled. That stuff was easy to find and fix.
> >
> > Tried so far.
> > Removed IE7 and IE8 numerous times.
> > Cleared TEMP internet files
> > Rebooted after changes
> > Cleared save autocomplete options cleared password and form data,
> > rebooted.
> > Turned autocomplete on for all 3 fields.
> > Reinstalled IE7 many times. Upgraded to IE8.
> > Removed IE8.
> > Reinstalled IE 8.
> > It just won't save any form field in an web page I visit.
> >
> > I browsed for an hour Group policy, found internet explorer in two places
> > (computer and user) everything set NOT CONFIGURED.
> > Nothing found in LOCAL SECURITY POLICY either.
> >
> > I even added a new user added to ADMIN group and that person has same
> > issue
> > also. So not applicable to my admin username.
> >
> > The only clue I have is the following
> > In the registry in
> > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Intelliforms
> > there should be 3 subkeys
> >
> > SPW
> > Storage1
> > Storage2
> >
> > On a PC that does work IE8 XP SP3, these subkeys are quite full of
> > encryted
> > data.
> > On the PC that does not work, these Subkeys were missing.
> > I manually added the three subkeys, rebooted and still did not work.
> >
> > That is the only clue I have right now.
> > It did not work on IE7
> > It doesn't work on IE8 beta-2
> > I am now lost for next step.
> > Google search is not helping on this one.
> > Read millions of pages it seems.
> >
> > Autocomplete web pages works, it is just forms that does not.

Re: Cannot save form data-autocomplete
Image could be flawed. A GPO or other setting might be disallowing
AutoComplete for security reasons. Who knows? The only way you could
really troubleshoot this would be to do a clean install and see if the
behavior's present in IE6.

Jonas Grumby wrote:
> PA Bear- As I stated autocomplete never worked. IE7 to IE8, XP to Vista
> was
> not an attempt to fix the problem, only a normal migration path.
>
> Image installed on brand new drive.
>
> The key right now is SPW Storage1 and Storage2 subkeys not being created
> either at installation of any IE or usage of any autocomplete function.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If AutoComplete wasn't working in WinXP SP2/IE7, why did you think
>> installing SP3 or IE8B2 would fix it? Was AutoComplete working before
>> IE7
>> was installed?
>>
>> Was the HDD formatted before the image was installed?
>>
>> Jonas Grumby wrote:
>>> Cannot save form data in IE7&8
>>>
>>> Windows XP SP2 IE7 latest SP
>>> Windows XP SP3 IE7 latest SP
>>> Vista Ultimate SP1 IE7 latest SP
>>> Vista Ultimate SP1 IE8 Beta 2
>>>
>>> The PC in question went through the above migration and at no time did
>>> AUTOCOMPLETE ever work.
>>>
>>> The AUTOCOMPLETE checkboxes are indeed selected under CONTENT TAB and
>>> ADVNCED TAB in options.
>>>
>>> Autocomplete web addresses works.
>>>
>>> Computer history PC was made from corporate image and I suspect a very
>>> very
>>> special and well hidden group policy may be enabled.
>>> Examples: Autologon disabled and remeber NTusername for Windows logon
>>> were
>>> disabled. That stuff was easy to find and fix.
>>>
>>> Tried so far.
>>> Removed IE7 and IE8 numerous times.
>>> Cleared TEMP internet files
>>> Rebooted after changes
>>> Cleared save autocomplete options cleared password and form data,
>>> rebooted.
>>> Turned autocomplete on for all 3 fields.
>>> Reinstalled IE7 many times. Upgraded to IE8.
>>> Removed IE8.
>>> Reinstalled IE 8.
>>> It just won't save any form field in an web page I visit.
>>>
>>> I browsed for an hour Group policy, found internet explorer in two
>>> places
>>> (computer and user) everything set NOT CONFIGURED.
>>> Nothing found in LOCAL SECURITY POLICY either.
>>>
>>> I even added a new user added to ADMIN group and that person has same
>>> issue
>>> also. So not applicable to my admin username.
>>>
>>> The only clue I have is the following
>>> In the registry in
>>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Intelliforms
>>> there should be 3 subkeys
>>>
>>> SPW
>>> Storage1
>>> Storage2
>>>
>>> On a PC that does work IE8 XP SP3, these subkeys are quite full of
>>> encryted
>>> data.
>>> On the PC that does not work, these Subkeys were missing.
>>> I manually added the three subkeys, rebooted and still did not work.
>>>
>>> That is the only clue I have right now.
>>> It did not work on IE7
>>> It doesn't work on IE8 beta-2
>>> I am now lost for next step.
>>> Google search is not helping on this one.
>>> Read millions of pages it seems.
>>>
>>> Autocomplete web pages works, it is just forms that does not.

Robert Aldwinckle

"Jonas Grumby" <JonasGrumby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49398205-BA4B-4D26-A9DD-762269F1B7CB@microsoft.com...
> Cannot save form data in IE7&8
>
> Windows XP SP2 IE7 latest SP
> Windows XP SP3 IE7 latest SP
> Vista Ultimate SP1 IE7 latest SP
> Vista Ultimate SP1 IE8 Beta 2
>
> The PC in question went through the above migration and at no time did
> AUTOCOMPLETE ever work.
>
> The AUTOCOMPLETE checkboxes are indeed selected under CONTENT TAB and
> ADVNCED TAB in options.
>
> Autocomplete web addresses works.
>
> Computer history PC was made from corporate image and I suspect a very very
> special and well hidden group policy may be enabled.
> Examples: Autologon disabled and remeber NTusername for Windows logon were
> disabled. That stuff was easy to find and fix.
>
> Tried so far.
> Removed IE7 and IE8 numerous times.
> Cleared TEMP internet files
> Rebooted after changes
> Cleared save autocomplete options cleared password and form data, rebooted.
> Turned autocomplete on for all 3 fields.
> Reinstalled IE7 many times. Upgraded to IE8.
> Removed IE8.
> Reinstalled IE 8.
> It just won't save any form field in an web page I visit.

Doesn't look as if you have tried RIES.
Everything you have listed would attempt to preserve user preferences
and history.

> I browsed for an hour Group policy, found internet explorer in two places
> (computer and user) everything set NOT CONFIGURED.
> Nothing found in LOCAL SECURITY POLICY either.
>
> I even added a new user added to ADMIN group and that person has same issue
> also. So not applicable to my admin username.
>
> The only clue I have is the following
> In the registry in
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Intelliforms
> there should be 3 subkeys
>
> SPW
> Storage1
> Storage2
>
> On a PC that does work IE8 XP SP3, these subkeys are quite full of encryted
> data.
> On the PC that does not work, these Subkeys were missing.
> I manually added the three subkeys, rebooted and still did not work.

AFAIK you are looking at some old implementation details.
Use PSPV (from NirSoft) to check for AutoComplete data.
(In fact, I think that there is now a separate tool for Vista
where the implementation has changed yet again.)
In any case, use ProcMon to see how it is accessed.

You need to see more than just the iexplore.exe task traced
because (in XPsp3, at least) ProtectedStorage is a service
provided by lsass.exe.

Hmm... that suggests what might be a useful diagnostic.
Switch to a cmd window and enter:

sc queryex ProtectedStorage

Is it running? If not that could explain your symptom.

> That is the only clue I have right now.
> It did not work on IE7
> It doesn't work on IE8 beta-2
> I am now lost for next step.
> Google search is not helping on this one.

Google Groups with Sort by Date?
What search terms?

> Read millions of pages it seems.

Fun but not very effective? ; )

> Autocomplete web pages works, it is just forms that does not.

Completely separate implementation. Only uses registry to support
special folder view. The data is maintained by History.IE5\index.dat
(and its siblings.)

---