The disappoining change in how we search the web

Lady Dagger

The disappoining change in how we search the web
I am disappointed in the change of how the web search engines work now (not
just yours, but all of them it seems)!! I was looking for a hotel, and it
used to be if I typed in Monterey Surf Inn (for instance), It would list that
direct hotel site at the very top. It would be the first thing that came up.
Now, instead, I get tons of sites that mention it on their site, or sell
rooms too, or even have some map of where it is, but I can't get to the
direct hotel site. And that's only what I've searched for tonight. But I've
had it happen with everything I search for lately!! Not just hotels, that
was just an example. It's so frustrating to constantly not get what you are
really searching for!!! I HATE search engines now!! Can't you please change
them back?!?!
Alan Edwards

Re: The disappoining change in how we search the web
With respect, I don't see that it is a fault with search engines. (I
don't have one, by the way, so I can't change it back)

If I search with Google for Monterey Surf Inn (for instance), the
first 4 I get are what I would expect, e.g.

Monterey Surf Inn (Monterey, Monterey Peninsula) - Motel Reviews
Monterey Surf Inn in Monterey, California
Monterey Surf Inn, Monterey Hotels : Reviews of Monterey Surf Inn
Monterey Surf Inn

The 4th takes you to the hotel site
http://www.monterey.com/mcP/monterey...eysurfinn.html but I
can see why the other 3 come earlier as they have more references to
Monterey Surf Inn than the hotel site, which is a little obscure but
that is the fault of the web site,

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 23:20:05 -0800, in
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, Lady Dagger
<LadyDagger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am disappointed in the change of how the web search engines work now (not
>just yours, but all of them it seems)!! I was looking for a hotel, and it
>used to be if I typed in Monterey Surf Inn (for instance), It would list that
>direct hotel site at the very top. It would be the first thing that came up.
> Now, instead, I get tons of sites that mention it on their site, or sell
>rooms too, or even have some map of where it is, but I can't get to the
>direct hotel site. And that's only what I've searched for tonight. But I've
>had it happen with everything I search for lately!! Not just hotels, that
>was just an example. It's so frustrating to constantly not get what you are
>really searching for!!! I HATE search engines now!! Can't you please change
>them back?!?!

VanguardLH

Lady Dagger wrote:

> I am disappointed in the change of how the web search engines work now (not
> just yours, but all of them it seems)!!

And your entire post has WHAT to do with Internet Explorer, the topic of
*this* newsgroup? Internet Explorer is not a search engine. Internet
Explorer is a web browser.

I didn't write a web-based search engine for you to use. I'm just
another user like yourself. We here are all just users. This is a
community of your peers. It is NOT a free venue to support from
Microsoft. That Microsoft provided a webnews-for-dummies gateway to
Usenet doesn't alter that this is Usenet.

What is Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroups
http://www.masonicinfo.com/newsgroups.htm
http://www.mcfedries.com/Ramblings/usenet-primer.asp

Since you never bothered to identify WHICH search engine you are whining
about, I'll assume you meant Google's search.

> I was looking for a hotel, and it
> used to be

Oh, a highly specific timeline of "used to be", uh huh. Could be you
haven't used a search engine in over a decade and when there were a lot
less sites to catalog.

> if I typed in Monterey Surf Inn (for instance),

Obviously you entered a very poor search string. Your string of
"Monterey Surf Inn" means to find every record from the database that
has "Monterey" OR "Surf" OR "Inn". There are a hell of a lot of inns in
the world. There are a lot of surfer and oceanography sites related to
"surf". There are a lot of places and shops with the name "Monterey".
Then YOU chose to OR each of those results together to compile a really
huge list. You asked for X "Monterey's" plus Y "Surf's" plus Z "Inns".
That total of X + Y + Z is going to be huge. Entering:

Monterey Surf Inn

is the same as entering:

Monterey OR Surf OR Inn

and gives a Google search result count of 47,600 hits - PLUS if you had
noticed the www.montereysurf.inn site is right at the top (because they
paid Google to present their site in the sponsored list that precedes
the general search results).

If you wanted to narrow your search then you should have AND'ed the
results from searching on each word and entered:

+Monterey +Surf +Inn

which results in 37,200 hits. If you knew the place had exactly that
name and to even further limit the results count, you should've used:

"Monterey Surf Inn"

(including the double quotes to delimit the string) to list only those
records with that exact string. That gives 4,710 hits - a tenth of the
results count for the search that you used.

> It would list that
> direct hotel site at the very top. It would be the first thing that came up.

In each of my searches, including your poorly constructed one, yep, the
Monterey Surf Inn was listed right there at the top.

> Now, instead, I get tons of sites that mention it on their site, or sell
> rooms too, or even have some map of where it is, but I can't get to the
> direct hotel site.

Because of your poor search that OR'ed the result of searching on each
word instead of the entire string. But then the hotel was listed in
every search result in the sponsored hits that precede the general hits.

> And that's only what I've searched for tonight. But I've
> had it happen with everything I search for lately!! Not just hotels, that
> was just an example.

Because the common denominator is you. You are entering very poor
search criteria which results in NOT narrowing down the results.

> It's so frustrating to constantly not get what you are
> really searching for!!! I HATE search engines now!! Can't you please change
> them back?!?!

I'm sure you'll get to hate cameras, too, if you keep forgetting to take
off the lens cap.

Re: The disappoining change in how we search the web
To whom are you addressing your comments?

What is your default Search provider?

What does this have to do with IE?