Unresponsive IE7

Eli

Unresponsive IE7
I use Win XP.
I have to click the back arrow multiple times to move back to the previous
page.

When I click on a link I may get no respose of I have to click on refresh
multiple times to eventually get a page to load.

This doesn't happen on my wife's laptop and she uses the wireless connection
of our router. I use the cord connection but the same problem happens when I
go wireless.

I haven't tried other browsers. Should I?
--
Frustrated by Microsoft

Re: Unresponsive IE7
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
this newsgroup.

What third-party firewall (if any)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Eli wrote:
> I use Win XP.
> I have to click the back arrow multiple times to move back to the previous
> page.
>
> When I click on a link I may get no respose of I have to click on refresh
> multiple times to eventually get a page to load.
>
> This doesn't happen on my wife's laptop and she uses the wireless
> connection
> of our router. I use the cord connection but the same problem happens when
> go wireless.
>
> I haven't tried other browsers. Should I?

Eli

Re: Unresponsive IE7
Thank you for your reply.
I use Win XP SP 3
I use CA Security Center which includes Anti Spyware, Anti Virus, Firewall
and Anti Spam.

My subscription expires in July and the program updates automatically -
sometimes two or more times a day.

All 3 programs in Windows Security Center are turned on.

All of my Microsoft updates are current, automatically and checked manually.
--
Frustrated by Microsoft

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
> this newsgroup.

> What third-party firewall (if any)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Eli wrote:
> > I use Win XP.
> > I have to click the back arrow multiple times to move back to the previous
> > page.
> >
> > When I click on a link I may get no respose of I have to click on refresh
> > multiple times to eventually get a page to load.
> >
> > This doesn't happen on my wife's laptop and she uses the wireless
> > connection
> > of our router. I use the cord connection but the same problem happens when
> > go wireless.
> >
> > I haven't tried other browsers. Should I?

Re: Unresponsive IE7
If you're not running any other anti-spyware application (e.g.,
SpywareBlaster; Spybot), I suspect CA Security Center had modified your
HOSTS file which blocks many sites (e.g., ads) and that's what's causing the
behavior. If you need to return to a previous page, use the dropdown menu
under the downward-pointing arrow to the immediate right of the Back &
Forward buttons, Eli.

Check with CA Support to confirm this.
--
~PA Bear

Eli wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.
> I use Win XP SP 3
> I use CA Security Center which includes Anti Spyware, Anti Virus, Firewall
> and Anti Spam.
>
> My subscription expires in July and the program updates automatically -
> sometimes two or more times a day.
>
> All 3 programs in Windows Security Center are turned on.
>
> All of my Microsoft updates are current, automatically and checked
> manually.
>
> PA Bear wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
>> this newsgroup.

>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Eli wrote:
>>> I use Win XP.
>>> I have to click the back arrow multiple times to move back to the
>>> previous
>>> page.
>>>
>>> When I click on a link I may get no respose of I have to click on
>>> refresh
>>> multiple times to eventually get a page to load.
>>>
>>> This doesn't happen on my wife's laptop and she uses the wireless
>>> connection
>>> of our router. I use the cord connection but the same problem happens
>>> when
>>> go wireless.
>>>
>>> I haven't tried other browsers. Should I?

Steve Hebert

Re: Unresponsive IE7
I don't use CA, but I also suspect that this is the problem. Trend-Micro's
software does something similar sometimes. It seems to load the [blocked]
advertisements as separate pages, so a single 'back button' click will take
you to the blocked ad which gets blocked again, so nothing appears to
happen. When you run into this situation, click the small drop-down arrow
to go back multiple pages at a time.