IE 6 and IE 7 mixed Together

Andrea

IE 6 and IE 7 mixed Together
I'm using IE6 and not wanting it to be set as my default browser, but it
keeps taking over! I'm using Windows XP, SP3, and I prefer SeaMonkey as my
default browser. At some point recently, I decided to upgrade IE6 to IE7,
but it apparently never upgraded, and I think this is what is causing the
current conflict. After a lot of hunting around, I found a thread in a
Mozilla forum indicating that this problem can occur with Mozilla Firefox
(did not mention SeaMonkey) when IE7 beta had been installed. I tried the
fix even though I hadn't installed the beta version and I was using
SeaMonkey and not Firefox. (I do have Firefox on my computer, but that
doesn't seem to be the problem.) This temporarily resolved things, but it
didn't last. I found other people with a similar situation who had posted
that the fix won't be retained if the iexplore.exe file version is 7 with an
IE6 browser. This was the case for me, so I did as they did and deleted
iexplore.exe, which later was automatically replaced with the correct
version. But it still didn't resolve the problem permanently. I still
sometimes click on a link to a URL and IE takes over. I also installed a
third party utility, SetBrowser, which fixes the problem, but again, it
doesn't last. So I just looked through all my IE files and discovered that
some of them are for version 7 (hmmapi.dll.mui, iedw.exe.mui,
iexplore.exe.mui). Could these be causing the conflict? If so, can I safely
delete them? Or is there another solution? I've had both browsers installed
for years without this issue. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Andrea

Re: IE 6 and IE 7 mixed Together
Let me make the previous post clearer. All that I need to know at the moment
is whether in IE 6 there should be a folder called en-US. If so, which files
should be in that folder? Right now I have one and it contains these files:
hmmapi.dll.mui, iedw.exe.mui, and iexplore.exe.mui. The property tab for
each of these files indicates they're version 7.0, although I have version
6.0.

Andrea wrote:
> I'm using IE6 and not wanting it to be set as my default browser, but
> it keeps taking over! I'm using Windows XP, SP3, and I prefer
> SeaMonkey as my default browser. At some point recently, I decided to
> upgrade IE6 to IE7, but it apparently never upgraded, and I think
> this is what is causing the current conflict. After a lot of hunting
> around, I found a thread in a Mozilla forum indicating that this
> problem can occur with Mozilla Firefox (did not mention SeaMonkey)
> when IE7 beta had been installed. I tried the fix even though I
> hadn't installed the beta version and I was using SeaMonkey and not
> Firefox. (I do have Firefox on my computer, but that doesn't seem to
> be the problem.) This temporarily resolved things, but it didn't
> last. I found other people with a similar situation who had posted
> that the fix won't be retained if the iexplore.exe file version is 7
> with an IE6 browser. This was the case for me, so I did as they did
> and deleted iexplore.exe, which later was automatically replaced with
> the correct version. But it still didn't resolve the problem
> permanently. I still sometimes click on a link to a URL and IE takes
> over. I also installed a third party utility, SetBrowser, which fixes
> the problem, but again, it doesn't last. So I just looked through all
> my IE files and discovered that some of them are for version 7
> (hmmapi.dll.mui, iedw.exe.mui, iexplore.exe.mui). Could these be
> causing the conflict? If so, can I safely delete them? Or is there
> another solution? I've had both browsers installed for years without
> this issue. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Re: IE 6 and IE 7 mixed Together
You, my dear, have a horked (dirty; bad; incomplete) uninstall of IE7 on
your hands. I would recommend a format & clean install of Windows. (A
Repair Install not only won't help, it'll make matters worse.)

Best of luck.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Andrea wrote:
> Let me make the previous post clearer. All that I need to know at the
> moment
> is whether in IE 6 there should be a folder called en-US. If so, which
> files
> should be in that folder? Right now I have one and it contains these
> files:
> hmmapi.dll.mui, iedw.exe.mui, and iexplore.exe.mui. The property tab for
> each of these files indicates they're version 7.0, although I have version
> 6.0.
>
> Andrea wrote:
>> I'm using IE6 and not wanting it to be set as my default browser, but
>> it keeps taking over! I'm using Windows XP, SP3, and I prefer
>> SeaMonkey as my default browser. At some point recently, I decided to
>> upgrade IE6 to IE7, but it apparently never upgraded, and I think
>> this is what is causing the current conflict. After a lot of hunting
>> around, I found a thread in a Mozilla forum indicating that this
>> problem can occur with Mozilla Firefox (did not mention SeaMonkey)
>> when IE7 beta had been installed. I tried the fix even though I
>> hadn't installed the beta version and I was using SeaMonkey and not
>> Firefox. (I do have Firefox on my computer, but that doesn't seem to
>> be the problem.) This temporarily resolved things, but it didn't
>> last. I found other people with a similar situation who had posted
>> that the fix won't be retained if the iexplore.exe file version is 7
>> with an IE6 browser. This was the case for me, so I did as they did
>> and deleted iexplore.exe, which later was automatically replaced with
>> the correct version. But it still didn't resolve the problem
>> permanently. I still sometimes click on a link to a URL and IE takes
>> over. I also installed a third party utility, SetBrowser, which fixes
>> the problem, but again, it doesn't last. So I just looked through all
>> my IE files and discovered that some of them are for version 7
>> (hmmapi.dll.mui, iedw.exe.mui, iexplore.exe.mui). Could these be
>> causing the conflict? If so, can I safely delete them? Or is there
>> another solution? I've had both browsers installed for years without
>> this issue. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Andrea

Re: IE 6 and IE 7 mixed Together
It's not just the uninstall that's incomplete. The install never completed
in the first place. I don't know how to format and reinstall Windows, but my
laptop actually belongs to my company, so I'll talk to IT about it. It seems
that a lot of people are having problems with IE7. Maybe when there's a
clean install, I'll stay with IE6. By the way, what files should be in that
folder for IE6? That seems to be the only trace of IE7.

Andrea

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> You, my dear, have a horked (dirty; bad; incomplete) uninstall of IE7
> on your hands. I would recommend a format & clean install of
> Windows. (A Repair Install not only won't help, it'll make matters
> worse.)
> Best of luck.
>
> Andrea wrote:
>> Let me make the previous post clearer. All that I need to know at the
>> moment
>> is whether in IE 6 there should be a folder called en-US. If so,
>> which files
>> should be in that folder? Right now I have one and it contains these
>> files:
>> hmmapi.dll.mui, iedw.exe.mui, and iexplore.exe.mui. The property tab
>> for each of these files indicates they're version 7.0, although I
>> have version 6.0.
>>
>> Andrea wrote:
>>> I'm using IE6 and not wanting it to be set as my default browser,
>>> but it keeps taking over! I'm using Windows XP, SP3, and I prefer
>>> SeaMonkey as my default browser. At some point recently, I decided
>>> to upgrade IE6 to IE7, but it apparently never upgraded, and I think
>>> this is what is causing the current conflict. After a lot of hunting
>>> around, I found a thread in a Mozilla forum indicating that this
>>> problem can occur with Mozilla Firefox (did not mention SeaMonkey)
>>> when IE7 beta had been installed. I tried the fix even though I
>>> hadn't installed the beta version and I was using SeaMonkey and not
>>> Firefox. (I do have Firefox on my computer, but that doesn't seem to
>>> be the problem.) This temporarily resolved things, but it didn't
>>> last. I found other people with a similar situation who had posted
>>> that the fix won't be retained if the iexplore.exe file version is 7
>>> with an IE6 browser. This was the case for me, so I did as they did
>>> and deleted iexplore.exe, which later was automatically replaced
>>> with the correct version. But it still didn't resolve the problem
>>> permanently. I still sometimes click on a link to a URL and IE takes
>>> over. I also installed a third party utility, SetBrowser, which
>>> fixes the problem, but again, it doesn't last. So I just looked
>>> through all my IE files and discovered that some of them are for
>>> version 7 (hmmapi.dll.mui, iedw.exe.mui, iexplore.exe.mui). Could
>>> these be causing the conflict? If so, can I safely delete them? Or
>>> is there another solution? I've had both browsers installed for
>>> years without this issue. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Andrea

Re: IE 6 and IE 7 mixed Together
If anyone knows the answer to the question at the end of my last post, I'd
appreciate an answer. (What files should be in the en-US folder in IE6?)
Thanks.

Andrea wrote:
> It's not just the uninstall that's incomplete. The install never
> completed in the first place. I don't know how to format and
> reinstall Windows, but my laptop actually belongs to my company, so
> I'll talk to IT about it. It seems that a lot of people are having
> problems with IE7. Maybe when there's a clean install, I'll stay with
> IE6. By the way, what files should be in that folder for IE6? That
> seems to be the only trace of IE7.
> Andrea
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> You, my dear, have a horked (dirty; bad; incomplete) uninstall of IE7
>> on your hands. I would recommend a format & clean install of
>> Windows. (A Repair Install not only won't help, it'll make matters
>> worse.)
>> Best of luck.
>>
>> Andrea wrote:
>>> Let me make the previous post clearer. All that I need to know at
>>> the moment
>>> is whether in IE 6 there should be a folder called en-US. If so,
>>> which files
>>> should be in that folder? Right now I have one and it contains these
>>> files:
>>> hmmapi.dll.mui, iedw.exe.mui, and iexplore.exe.mui. The property tab
>>> for each of these files indicates they're version 7.0, although I
>>> have version 6.0.

Donald Anadell

"Andrea" <andreawknospam@nospamcox.net> wrote in message
> If anyone knows the answer to the question at the end of my last post, I'd
> appreciate an answer. (What files should be in the en-US folder in IE6?)

There is no folder named:
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\en-US
with an IE6 installation(at least not on any machines here with IE6
installed on them). That folder is added by the installation of IE7(at
least that's the way it is here on machines with IE7 installed on them)

This why PA Bear suggested to you that you have a corrupted
install||uninstall of IE7, and that your easiest route to a solution to this
problem(at this point) would be to wipe||format your hard drive and
reinstall the operating system.

If, as you state, "I don't know how to format and reinstall Windows". Then,
as you also intimated, "talk to IT about it".

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

Donald Anadell wrote:
> "Andrea" <andreawknospam@nospamcox.net> wrote in message
>> If anyone knows the answer to the question at the end of my last post,
>> I'd
>> appreciate an answer. (What files should be in the en-US folder in IE6?)

> There is no folder named:
> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\en-US
> with an IE6 installation(at least not on any machines here with IE6
> installed on them). That folder is added by the installation of IE7(at
> least that's the way it is here on machines with IE7 installed on them)
>
> This why PA Bear suggested to you that you have a corrupted
> install||uninstall of IE7, and that your easiest route to a solution to
> this
> problem(at this point) would be to wipe||format your hard drive and
> reinstall the operating system.
>
> If, as you state, "I don't know how to format and reinstall Windows".
> Then,
> as you also intimated, "talk to IT about it".

[Maybe we need a bigger cluestick, Don?]

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Donald Anadell wrote:
>> "Andrea" <andreawknospam@nospamcox.net> wrote in message
>>> If anyone knows the answer to the question at the end of my last
>>> post, I'd
>>> appreciate an answer. (What files should be in the en-US folder in
>>> IE6?)

>> There is no folder named:
>> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\en-US
>> with an IE6 installation(at least not on any machines here with IE6
>> installed on them). That folder is added by the installation of
>> IE7(at least that's the way it is here on machines with IE7
>> installed on them) This why PA Bear suggested to you that you have a
>> corrupted
>> install||uninstall of IE7, and that your easiest route to a solution
>> to this
>> problem(at this point) would be to wipe||format your hard drive and
>> reinstall the operating system.
>>
>> If, as you state, "I don't know how to format and reinstall Windows".
>> Then,
>> as you also intimated, "talk to IT about it".

> [Maybe we need a bigger cluestick, Don?]

It isn't that you need a bigger cluestick. It's that your response to me
wasn't complete. It was also condescending (referring to me as "my dear"),
which you seem to reserve only for female posters, but I was going to put up
with that to get the information I needed. Or I was until your last
insulting post. Obviously I wouldn't be posting here if I could figure out
everything myself, so I do need and do ask for and do happily accept help,
just as I freely offer help in my own area of expertise. But asking for help
doesn't make me clueless. Naturally, I understood that you were recommending
a format and clean install, but what I didn't understand was if the entire
problem was caused by the en-US folder, that perhaps it contained the wrong
files, which was the only indication that there were still remnants of IE7.
Had that been the case, there might have been a way to fix the folder. Now
Donald Anadell has clarified that, which I appreciate. I didn't cause this
problem, and I'm not the only one having difficulty installing/uninstalling
IE7. I could have just asked the IT staff where I work, but I telecommute
most of the time and was hoping to get this resolved more quickly. I'm
grateful for the help.