Installed IE7 with non-Admininstrator account

Rick

Installed IE7 with non-Admininstrator account
Is there a workaround procedure to correct having installed IE7 with a
non-administrator account? I installed it before I knew about installing
programs as an Administrator, and some of my educational accounts don't
recognize that I have IE7 installed. They saying I have an unsupported
browser. I've tried to use an administrator account to remove IE7, but the
"Remove" link doesn't appear, only a support link. It was a simple, but
critical mistake on my part, as other websites don't recognize my IE7 updated
browser.
Don Varnau

Re: Installed IE7 with non-Admininstrator account
Hi,
I don't think the non-administrator install is causing the problem.

Suggestion #1: Run the appropriate script from
http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx to correct the User_Agent string.

Suggestion #2: Check settings of any third-party security suite, firewall or
other security program for an option to block header information, block
browser information, enable private browsing, etc.
The websites sites may be unable to read your browser headers.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a workaround procedure to correct having installed IE7 with a
> non-administrator account? I installed it before I knew about installing
> programs as an Administrator, and some of my educational accounts don't
> recognize that I have IE7 installed. They saying I have an unsupported
> browser. I've tried to use an administrator account to remove IE7, but

the
> "Remove" link doesn't appear, only a support link. It was a simple, but
> critical mistake on my part, as other websites don't recognize my IE7

updated
> browser.

Rick

Re: Installed IE7 with non-Admininstrator account
Thanks for your suggestion, Don. After posting my question, I found an
answer in a different forum saying I likely installed IE7 over a service pack
-- which was true. The advice I got was to uninstall Windows XP SP3, then I
was able to uninstall IE7 in the usual manner. After that, it was a matter
of reinstalling SP3 and IE7. It took more time than your suggestion, I'm
sure, but it worked out in the end. It was a good lesson in Administrative
Rights learned.

Regards,
--
Rick
Don Varnau

Re: Installed IE7 with non-Admininstrator account
Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for the update.

Don