IE7 install crashes all Office 03 apps

billz

IE7 install crashes all Office 03 apps
After installing IE7 my Office applications would crash. Either Excel, or
Word. IE7 was not even running when this happened. I have XP with SP3 running
just fine with IE6.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 install crashes all Office 03 apps
Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
procedures described here:

http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.

If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
directions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
....and...
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).

Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

billz wrote:
> After installing IE7 my Office applications would crash. Either Excel, or
> Word. IE7 was not even running when this happened. I have XP with SP3 running
> just fine with IE6.

billz

Re: IE7 install crashes all Office 03 apps
I did use Windows update to install IE7 the first time.
I do have ZoneAlarm, but I did not see the info about removing it before IE7
install. I will try it again. Thanks.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
> procedures described here:
>
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.
>
> If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
> incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
> to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
> directions:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
> ....and...
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>
> then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
> better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
> install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).
>
> Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
> have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> billz wrote:
> > After installing IE7 my Office applications would crash. Either Excel, or
> > Word. IE7 was not even running when this happened. I have XP with SP3 running
> > just fine with IE6.

billz

Re: IE7 install crashes all Office 03 apps
Reading through the directions, I found the download for IE7 for FP2.

I am having a hard time finding directions on how to get back to FP2 from 3.
I can find many results, but the all seem to point to upgrading to FP3 from
2, and not from 3 back to 2.

Can you help provide the link for the doc?
Thanks.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
> procedures described here:
>
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.
>
> If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
> incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
> to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
> directions:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
> ....and...
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>
> then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
> better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
> install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).
>
> Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
> have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> billz wrote:
> > After installing IE7 my Office applications would crash. Either Excel, or
> > Word. IE7 was not even running when this happened. I have XP with SP3 running
> > just fine with IE6.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 install crashes all Office 03 apps
Do you mean SP (Service Pack) 2 and SP 3?

A Google search with this search term:

how to uninstall windows XP service pack 3

provides lots of result, including this:

"How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

If you had SP 2 on your computer before you upgraded to SP 3,
uninstalling SP 3 returns you to SP 2.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

billz wrote:
> Reading through the directions, I found the download for IE7 for FP2.
>
> I am having a hard time finding directions on how to get back to FP2 from 3.
> I can find many results, but the all seem to point to upgrading to FP3 from
> 2, and not from 3 back to 2.
>
> Can you help provide the link for the doc?
> Thanks.
>

> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
>> procedures described here:
>>
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.
>>
>> If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
>> incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
>> to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
>> directions:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
>> ....and...
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>>
>> then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
>> better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
>> install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).
>>
>> Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
>> have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> billz wrote:
>>> After installing IE7 my Office applications would crash. Either Excel, or
>>> Word. IE7 was not even running when this happened. I have XP with SP3 running
>>> just fine with IE6.

billz

Re: IE7 install crashes all Office 03 apps
Kinda embarassed. I looked in installed programs, and deleted fp3 from there.
Anyway, about 10 hours later, and I have IE7 with fp3 running on XP.

Now time will tell if my Word, or Excel will self destruct again.
Hope this fixes it.

Thanks for the info.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Do you mean SP (Service Pack) 2 and SP 3?
>
> A Google search with this search term:
>
> how to uninstall windows XP service pack 3
>
> provides lots of result, including this:
>
> "How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249
>
> If you had SP 2 on your computer before you upgraded to SP 3,
> uninstalling SP 3 returns you to SP 2.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> billz wrote:
> > Reading through the directions, I found the download for IE7 for FP2.
> >
> > I am having a hard time finding directions on how to get back to FP2 from 3.
> > I can find many results, but the all seem to point to upgrading to FP3 from
> > 2, and not from 3 back to 2.
> >
> > Can you help provide the link for the doc?
> > Thanks.
> >

> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
> >> procedures described here:
> >>
> >> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.
> >>
> >> If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
> >> incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
> >> to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
> >> directions:
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
> >> ....and...
> >> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
> >>
> >> then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
> >> better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
> >> install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).
> >>
> >> Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
> >> have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

Re: IE7 install crashes all Office 03 apps
You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest that
you...

1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
Programs!]

2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds).

2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.

3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10 &
#11; take note of #12, then STOP!

NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the

Or Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
Optional category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's additional
security.

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

What's New in Internet Explorer 7

Release Notes
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/