Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

No internet access with Vista/IE 7

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2009
etr
 

Posts: n/a
No internet access with Vista/IE 7
I can access the internet in safe mode. Disabling services or startups is not
solving the problem. I was also able to access the internet using firefox. (I
removed firefox in an attempt to solve the IE 7 issue.)
--
etr
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No internet access with Vista/IE 7
Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
conjunction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0,
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for review
by an expert in such matters, not here.**

If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting this
isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

etr wrote:
> I can access the internet in safe mode. Disabling services or startups is
> not solving the problem. I was also able to access the internet using
> firefox. (I removed firefox in an attempt to solve the IE 7 issue.)


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2009
Kayman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No internet access with Vista/IE 7
On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 22:39:01 -0800, etr wrote:

> I can access the internet in safe mode. Disabling services or startups is not
> solving the problem. I was also able to access the internet using firefox. (I
> removed firefox in an attempt to solve the IE 7 issue.)


1.Clear the (IE) temporary Internet files and the history cache.
Click 'Start' and then click 'Run'... then type (or copy/paste)
"inetcpl.cpl" (w/out quotation marks) into the box, then click the 'OK'
button.
In Internet Properties panel 'General' tab, under 'Browsing history', click
'Delete...'button, in 'Delete Browsing History' panel, click the 'Delete
all...' button then place a checkmark into the box beside 'Also delete
files and settings stored by add-ons', Click 'Yes' and exit the Internet
Properties panel by clicking the 'OK' button.

2.Clean HDD
Delete files using Disk Cleanup (if on Vista)
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx

3.Download/execute:
Malwarebytesę Corporation - Anti-Malware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe
--and--
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE

--and/optional--
Kaspersky« Virus Removal Tool
http://devbuilds.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
http://www.kaspersky.com/support/vir...vptool?level=2
--and/optional--
Dr.Web CureIt!« Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
--and/optional--
a-squared Free or a-squared Command Line Scanner
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/download/
--and/optional--
BitDefender10 Free Edition (*NOT FOR VISTA*)
http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Down...nVersion/1/42/

NOTE:
The above mentioned applications are not capable for real-time protection
of your computer; They are on-demand scanners.

Kaspersky« Virus Removal Tool, Dr.Web CureIt!« have no update feature (so
they don't turn into full blown scanners). As soon as your computer is
cleaned you are supposed to remove these tools from your operating system
and revert back to your (updated) resident (real-time) AV application.
Re: Kaspersky« Virus Removal Tool; To uninstall/move this program 'enable
self-defense' must be unchecked!

BitDefender10 Free Edition, a-squared Free or a-squared Command Line
Scanner and the free version of Malwarebytesę and SuperAntispyware have an
update feature; Keep the latter two (2) installed in addtion to your
resident AV/A-S applications and scan frequently.

To scan your computer with the most up-to-date Kaspersky« AVPTool and
Dr.Web CureIT!« virus databases next time you should download new
Kaspersky« AVPTool and Dr.Web CureIt!« packages.

4.Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?board=3.0
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29

NOTE:
Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora before posting
a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for the
respective HJT forum.

5.Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Additional references:
How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Read: "What you must know"
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and
Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

CCleaner - Free
Cleans temporary internet files, cookies, history, recent urls, application
MRUs, etc. ...
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/bui...wnloading-slim
If Windows Defender is utilized go to Applications, under Utilities uncheck
"Windows Defender" (so it won't delete the history of WD).
If you wish, click 'Options' button the 'Settings' [check] 'Run CCleaner
when the computer starts'.
Setup CCleaner to Automatically Run Each Night in Vista or XP
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...n-vista-or-xp/

Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2009
etr
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No internet access with Vista/IE 7
Thank you for the detailed response. Before I embark on tackling the
recommended steps I thought I mention that I have had the Kapersky Internet
protection, version 6.0.2.621, for the past 18 months while running on
Firefox. Perhaps the pragmatic thing to do is to reload firefox and to forget
about IE 7. Any suggestion on how to reload Firefox with only Safe Mode
internet access?
etr


"Kayman" wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 22:39:01 -0800, etr wrote:
>
> > I can access the internet in safe mode. Disabling services or startups is not
> > solving the problem. I was also able to access the internet using firefox. (I
> > removed firefox in an attempt to solve the IE 7 issue.)

>
> 1.Clear the (IE) temporary Internet files and the history cache.
> Click 'Start' and then click 'Run'... then type (or copy/paste)
> "inetcpl.cpl" (w/out quotation marks) into the box, then click the 'OK'
> button.
> In Internet Properties panel 'General' tab, under 'Browsing history', click
> 'Delete...'button, in 'Delete Browsing History' panel, click the 'Delete
> all...' button then place a checkmark into the box beside 'Also delete
> files and settings stored by add-ons', Click 'Yes' and exit the Internet
> Properties panel by clicking the 'OK' button.
>
> 2.Clean HDD
> Delete files using Disk Cleanup (if on Vista)
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx
>
> 3.Download/execute:
> Malwarebytes┬ę Corporation - Anti-Malware
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe
> --and--
> SuperAntispyware - Free
> http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE
>
> --and/optional--
> Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tool
> http://devbuilds.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
> http://www.kaspersky.com/support/vir...vptool?level=2
> --and/optional--
> Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
> http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
> --and/optional--
> a-squared Free or a-squared Command Line Scanner
> http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/download/
> --and/optional--
> BitDefender10 Free Edition (*NOT FOR VISTA*)
> http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Down...nVersion/1/42/
>
> NOTE:
> The above mentioned applications are not capable for real-time protection
> of your computer; They are on-demand scanners.
>
> Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tool, Dr.Web CureIt!® have no update feature (so
> they don't turn into full blown scanners). As soon as your computer is
> cleaned you are supposed to remove these tools from your operating system
> and revert back to your (updated) resident (real-time) AV application.
> Re: Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tool; To uninstall/move this program 'enable
> self-defense' must be unchecked!
>
> BitDefender10 Free Edition, a-squared Free or a-squared Command Line
> Scanner and the free version of Malwarebytes┬ę and SuperAntispyware have an
> update feature; Keep the latter two (2) installed in addtion to your
> resident AV/A-S applications and scan frequently.
>
> To scan your computer with the most up-to-date Kaspersky® AVPTool and
> Dr.Web CureIT!® virus databases next time you should download new
> Kaspersky® AVPTool and Dr.Web CureIt!® packages.
>
> 4.Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
> http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis
>
> Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
> Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.
>
> http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?board=3.0
> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
> http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29
>
> NOTE:
> Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora before posting
> a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for the
> respective HJT forum.
>
> 5.Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
> http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
>
> Additional references:
> How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
> Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
>
> How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
> Read: "What you must know"
> Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and
> Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
>
> CCleaner - Free
> Cleans temporary internet files, cookies, history, recent urls, application
> MRUs, etc. ...
> http://www.ccleaner.com/download/bui...wnloading-slim
> If Windows Defender is utilized go to Applications, under Utilities uncheck
> "Windows Defender" (so it won't delete the history of WD).
> If you wish, click 'Options' button the 'Settings' [check] 'Run CCleaner
> when the computer starts'.
> Setup CCleaner to Automatically Run Each Night in Vista or XP
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...n-vista-or-xp/
>
> Good luck
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2009
Leonard Grey
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No internet access with Vista/IE 7
Kaspersky Internet Security version 6 is no longer supported.
http://usa.kaspersky.com/support/hom...q_id=208279811
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

etr wrote:
> Thank you for the detailed response. Before I embark on tackling the
> recommended steps I thought I mention that I have had the Kapersky Internet
> protection, version 6.0.2.621, for the past 18 months while running on
> Firefox. Perhaps the pragmatic thing to do is to reload firefox and to forget
> about IE 7. Any suggestion on how to reload Firefox with only Safe Mode
> internet access?
> etr
>
>
> "Kayman" wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 22:39:01 -0800, etr wrote:
>>
>>> I can access the internet in safe mode. Disabling services or startups is not
>>> solving the problem. I was also able to access the internet using firefox. (I
>>> removed firefox in an attempt to solve the IE 7 issue.)

>> 1.Clear the (IE) temporary Internet files and the history cache.
>> Click 'Start' and then click 'Run'... then type (or copy/paste)
>> "inetcpl.cpl" (w/out quotation marks) into the box, then click the 'OK'
>> button.
>> In Internet Properties panel 'General' tab, under 'Browsing history', click
>> 'Delete...'button, in 'Delete Browsing History' panel, click the 'Delete
>> all...' button then place a checkmark into the box beside 'Also delete
>> files and settings stored by add-ons', Click 'Yes' and exit the Internet
>> Properties panel by clicking the 'OK' button.
>>
>> 2.Clean HDD
>> Delete files using Disk Cleanup (if on Vista)
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx
>>
>> 3.Download/execute:
>> Malwarebytes┬ę Corporation - Anti-Malware
>> http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe
>> --and--
>> SuperAntispyware - Free
>> http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE
>>
>> --and/optional--
>> Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tool
>> http://devbuilds.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
>> http://www.kaspersky.com/support/vir...vptool?level=2
>> --and/optional--
>> Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
>> http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
>> --and/optional--
>> a-squared Free or a-squared Command Line Scanner
>> http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/download/
>> --and/optional--
>> BitDefender10 Free Edition (*NOT FOR VISTA*)
>> http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Down...nVersion/1/42/
>>
>> NOTE:
>> The above mentioned applications are not capable for real-time protection
>> of your computer; They are on-demand scanners.
>>
>> Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tool, Dr.Web CureIt!® have no update feature (so
>> they don't turn into full blown scanners). As soon as your computer is
>> cleaned you are supposed to remove these tools from your operating system
>> and revert back to your (updated) resident (real-time) AV application.
>> Re: Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tool; To uninstall/move this program 'enable
>> self-defense' must be unchecked!
>>
>> BitDefender10 Free Edition, a-squared Free or a-squared Command Line
>> Scanner and the free version of Malwarebytes┬ę and SuperAntispyware have an
>> update feature; Keep the latter two (2) installed in addtion to your
>> resident AV/A-S applications and scan frequently.
>>
>> To scan your computer with the most up-to-date Kaspersky® AVPTool and
>> Dr.Web CureIT!® virus databases next time you should download new
>> Kaspersky® AVPTool and Dr.Web CureIt!® packages.
>>
>> 4.Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
>> http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis
>>
>> Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
>> Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.
>>
>> http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?board=3.0
>> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
>> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html
>> http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
>> http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29
>>
>> NOTE:
>> Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora before posting
>> a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for the
>> respective HJT forum.
>>
>> 5.Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
>> http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
>>
>> Additional references:
>> How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
>> Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
>>
>> How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>> Read: "What you must know"
>> Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and
>> Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
>>
>> CCleaner - Free
>> Cleans temporary internet files, cookies, history, recent urls, application
>> MRUs, etc. ...
>> http://www.ccleaner.com/download/bui...wnloading-slim
>> If Windows Defender is utilized go to Applications, under Utilities uncheck
>> "Windows Defender" (so it won't delete the history of WD).
>> If you wish, click 'Options' button the 'Settings' [check] 'Run CCleaner
>> when the computer starts'.
>> Setup CCleaner to Automatically Run Each Night in Vista or XP
>> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...n-vista-or-xp/
>>
>> Good luck
>>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2009
Kayman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No internet access with Vista/IE 7
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 08:05:07 -0800, etr wrote:

> Thank you for the detailed response. Before I embark on tackling the
> recommended steps I thought I mention that I have had the Kapersky Internet
> protection, version 6.0.2.621, for the past 18 months while running on
> Firefox. Perhaps the pragmatic thing to do is to reload firefox and to forget
> about IE 7. Any suggestion on how to reload Firefox with only Safe Mode
> internet access?


The pragmatic thing to do is to correct the problem you're experiencing.
Switching to another browser and hoping for the best is inadvisable.

Good luck
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista w/ICS and VPN w/one nic and no internet access ~Roberto microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 10-31-2008 22:25
vista internet access issue Susanta microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 02-03-2008 20:55
Certain programs cannot access internet under Vista Bleak microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 01-23-2008 11:51
Wireless router - Local access OK but NO internet access - HELP!! Dave Doc microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 12-20-2007 16:36
Access to Internet via Vista Laptop Dazzer microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 11-20-2007 02:44




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:10.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120