Internet Explorer 7 completely unresponsive and unable to launch/o

litosmom

Internet Explorer 7 completely unresponsive and unable to launch/o
Hi, I've used IE 7 exclusively for several years, and it has always worked
perfectly well for me. But for the last month or so, it has been having
major problems almost 100% of the time. Most of the time when I try to open
it, it won't ever finish launching and just stays frozen, with the screen
blank, stuck saying "Connecting", and it never, ever opens. And on the rare
occasions when I can get it to open, it keeps crashing unexpectedly. I've
tried clearing its cache and deleting the cookies and site history, and it
hasn't helped at all. What else can I do to get it working properly?
Please, please, anyone who can help me, please email me at eeeks71@yahoo.com,
or call me at 801-831-2168.

Thanks!

Erika G.

Re: Internet Explorer 7 completely unresponsive and unable to launch/o
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

litosmom wrote:
> Hi, I've used IE 7 exclusively for several years, and it has always worked
> perfectly well for me. But for the last month or so, it has been having
> major problems almost 100% of the time. Most of the time when I try to
> open
> it, it won't ever finish launching and just stays frozen, with the screen
> blank, stuck saying "Connecting", and it never, ever opens. And on the
> rare
> occasions when I can get it to open, it keeps crashing unexpectedly. I've
> tried clearing its cache and deleting the cookies and site history, and it
> hasn't helped at all. What else can I do to get it working properly?
> Please, please, anyone who can help me, please email me at
> eeeks71@yahoo.com, or call me at 801-831-2168.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Erika G.

Kayman

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 22:20:01 -0800, litosmom wrote:

> Hi, I've used IE 7 exclusively for several years, and it has always worked
> perfectly well for me. But for the last month or so, it has been having
> major problems almost 100% of the time. Most of the time when I try to open
> it, it won't ever finish launching and just stays frozen, with the screen
> blank, stuck saying "Connecting", and it never, ever opens. And on the rare
> occasions when I can get it to open, it keeps crashing unexpectedly. I've
> tried clearing its cache and deleting the cookies and site history, and it
> hasn't helped at all. What else can I do to get it working properly?
> Please, please, anyone who can help me, please email me at eeeks71@yahoo.com,
> or call me at 801-831-2168.

1.Clear the (IE) temporary Internet files and the history cache.
Click 'Start' and then click 'Run'... then type (or copy/paste)
"inetcpl.cpl" (w/out quotation marks) into the box, then click the 'OK'
button.
In Internet Properties panel 'General' tab, under 'Browsing history', click
'Delete...'button, in 'Delete Browsing History' panel, click the 'Delete
all...' button then place a checkmark into the box beside 'Also delete
files and settings stored by add-ons', Click 'Yes' and exit the Internet
Properties panel by clicking the 'OK' button.

2.Clean HDD
Click 'Start' and then click 'Run...' then type (or copy/paste) "cleanmgr"
(w/out quotation marks into the box, then click the 'OK' button. Select
your drive
(presumably WinXP (C and click OK.
--or--
2a.Delete files using Disk Cleanup (if on Vista)
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx

3.Download/execute:
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
--and--
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE

--and/optional--
Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tool
http://devbuilds.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
http://www.kaspersky.com/support/vir...vptool?level=2
--and/optional--
Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
--and/optional--
a-squared Free or a-squared Command Line Scanner
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/download/
--and/optional--
BitDefender10 Free Edition (*NOT FOR VISTA*)
http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Down...nVersion/1/42/

NOTE:
The above mentioned applications are not capable for real-time protection
of your computer; They are on-demand scanners.

Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tool, Dr.Web CureIt!® have no update feature (so
they don't turn into full blown scanners). As soon as your computer is
cleaned you are supposed to remove these tools from your operating system
and revert back to your (updated) resident (real-time) AV application.
Re: Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tool; To uninstall/move this program 'enable
self-defense' must be unchecked!

BitDefender10 Free Edition, a-squared Free or a-squared Command Line
Scanner and the free version of Malwarebytes© and SuperAntispyware have an
update feature; Keep the latter two (2) installed in addtion to your
resident AV/A-S applications and scan frequently.

4.Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29

NOTE:
Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora before posting
a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for the
respective HJT forum.

5.Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Additional references:
How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Read: "What you must know"
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and
Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

GMER - is an application that detects and removes rootkits.
http://www.gmer.net/index.php

For additional assistance in relation GMER scan results consult either
http://antirootkit.com/forums/index....81ffe4361c3a17
--or--

CCleaner - Free
Cleans temporary internet files, cookies, history, recent urls, application
MRUs, etc. ...
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/bui...wnloading-slim
If Windows Defender is utilized go to Applications, under Utilities uncheck
"Windows Defender" (so it won't delete the history of WD).
If you wish, click 'Options' button the 'Settings' [check] 'Run CCleaner
when the computer starts'.
Setup CCleaner to Automatically Run Each Night in Vista or XP
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...n-vista-or-xp/

Good luck