Internet Explorer address bar connection

Slogger

Internet Explorer address bar connection
On PC system with XP Home and IE7, with all microsoft updates installed,
address bar is no longer connected to internet after installing new printer
on home network using recently installed router. However, favorites and
search engine sites are still connected, so internet connection is present
and problem appears to be in IE7. Google toolbar has been installed (by
mistake). Resetting IE7 did not solve the problem. Does anyone know how to
re-connect the address bar?

Re: Internet Explorer address bar connection
Hi, Slogger

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
this newsgroup.

Please define "no longer connected to the internet"?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

CrystalBall© sez...

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Slogger wrote:
> On PC system with XP Home and IE7, with all microsoft updates installed,
> address bar is no longer connected to internet after installing new
> printer
> on home network using recently installed router. However, favorites and
> search engine sites are still connected, so internet connection is present
> and problem appears to be in IE7. Google toolbar has been installed (by
> mistake). Resetting IE7 did not solve the problem. Does anyone know how
> re-connect the address bar?

Slogger

Re: Internet Explorer address bar connection
Thanks for the information about posting. I tried to figure this problem out
for about three hours last night, including a reset and several restarts.
Then, when I turned the computer on this evening, IE7 was restored to its
former self and was working fine. I have no idea why, but am not going to
look this gift horse in the mouth.

help others: My operating system is Windows XP Home. I know I have service
pack 2 because I had to install it. I may have service pack 3 if it came
with the many Windows updates I have installed. As far as I know, the
operating system is completely updated. I have several levels of firewalls
(amazed that it all seems to work together.) My old 2-wire modem comes with
"HomePortal" software that includes a firewall. This connects to a new
D-Link DIR-825 router that has its own firewall. My computure is running
both the Windows firewall and Norton Internet Security 2009 that also
includes a firewall as well as antivirus and other intrusion protection.
What I meant by "no longer connected to the internet" is that after typing a
web site address (that I know works) into the address bar and clicking on
"go", IE7 searched for about a minute and then came up with a window asking
me to configure a dial-up connection. I tried several different web
addresses, all with the same result.

I came home today prepared to re-install IE7, and was very pleased to find
it working! My luck is not usually so good, which makes me wonder what else
is about to happen.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Hi, Slogger
>
> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
> this newsgroup.
>
> Please define "no longer connected to the internet"?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> CrystalBall© sez...
>
> Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
> Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Slogger wrote:
> > On PC system with XP Home and IE7, with all microsoft updates installed,
> > address bar is no longer connected to internet after installing new
> > printer
> > on home network using recently installed router. However, favorites and
> > search engine sites are still connected, so internet connection is present
> > and problem appears to be in IE7. Google toolbar has been installed (by
> > mistake). Resetting IE7 did not solve the problem. Does anyone know how
> > re-connect the address bar?

Re: Internet Explorer address bar connection
YW & thanks for your feedback.

You do NOT want more than one (1) software firewall enabled.