Removing 7/Reinstalling 6

edolo

Removing 7/Reinstalling 6
WXP Pro.
Can't find the subject discussed in this newsgroup -thou lots of
others! Sorry if I miss one here!
Rarely used Internet Explorer 6 though I thought it was a good
program. Setup 6 as my adsl homepage so I can check status - worked
well all this time.
Last month blindly updated 6 to 7, but 7 wants to set up an emai, bla
blal, & not able to work around that.
Followed var instr (found with search engine) trying to del in Ctl
Panel - am able to del updates but not 7, & 6 will not install over 7.
Also, uninstall asks for serpk disk 3 - & like most folks, it was an
online update.
Am looking @ REGEDIT: is that a viable option?
tks, edolo
ps: my last option - old timer some sixty years ago told me there
weren't nothin he couldn't fix with forty percent stumpin powder!
Leonard Grey

Re: Removing 7/Reinstalling 6
Try your post again, and this time write in complete sentences with
correct spelling.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

edolo wrote:
> WXP Pro.
> Can't find the subject discussed in this newsgroup -thou lots of
> others! Sorry if I miss one here!
> Rarely used Internet Explorer 6 though I thought it was a good
> program. Setup 6 as my adsl homepage so I can check status - worked
> well all this time.
> Last month blindly updated 6 to 7, but 7 wants to set up an emai, bla
> blal, & not able to work around that.
> Followed var instr (found with search engine) trying to del in Ctl
> Panel - am able to del updates but not 7, & 6 will not install over 7.
> Also, uninstall asks for serpk disk 3 - & like most folks, it was an
> online update.
> Am looking @ REGEDIT: is that a viable option?
> tks, edolo
> ps: my last option - old timer some sixty years ago told me there
> weren't nothin he couldn't fix with forty percent stumpin powder!

Re: Removing 7/Reinstalling 6
Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall 'WIndows Internet Explorer 7' via Add/Remove Programs; it's safe
to ignore any warnings that such-and-such might not work if you uninstall
it.]

[http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177]

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is
installed:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

edolo wrote:
> WXP Pro.
> Can't find the subject discussed in this newsgroup -thou lots of
> others! Sorry if I miss one here!
> Rarely used Internet Explorer 6 though I thought it was a good
> program. Setup 6 as my adsl homepage so I can check status - worked
> well all this time.
> Last month blindly updated 6 to 7, but 7 wants to set up an emai, bla
> blal, & not able to work around that.
> Followed var instr (found with search engine) trying to del in Ctl
> Panel - am able to del updates but not 7, & 6 will not install over 7.
> Also, uninstall asks for serpk disk 3 - & like most folks, it was an
> online update.
> Am looking @ REGEDIT: is that a viable option?
> tks, edolo
> ps: my last option - old timer some sixty years ago told me there
> weren't nothin he couldn't fix with forty percent stumpin powder!

Kayman

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 03:28:12 GMT, edolo wrote:

> WXP Pro.
> Can't find the subject discussed in this newsgroup -thou lots of
> others! Sorry if I miss one here!
> Rarely used Internet Explorer 6 though I thought it was a good
> program. Setup 6 as my adsl homepage so I can check status - worked
> well all this time.
> Last month blindly updated 6 to 7, but 7 wants to set up an emai, bla
> blal, & not able to work around that.
> Followed var instr (found with search engine) trying to del in Ctl
> Panel - am able to del updates but not 7, & 6 will not install over 7.
> Also, uninstall asks for serpk disk 3 - & like most folks, it was an
> online update.
> Am looking @ REGEDIT: is that a viable option?
> tks, edolo
> ps: my last option - old timer some sixty years ago told me there
> weren't nothin he couldn't fix with forty percent stumpin powder!

How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

To uninstall IE 7 (which returns you to IE 6) follow these directions:

Start, Settings, Control Panel then click Add or Remove Programs, locate
IE7 and uninstall it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
....and...
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

If you upgraded to IE 7 'before' you applied SP 3, you'll have to
uninstall SP 3 first.

Read this before installing IE7:
Sandi's Installation Tips: 1 thru 8, 10 and 11, note 12 that's it.

Do not use Automatic/Windows Update for downloading/installing IE7!

Use this link instead:
Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP:

Save the program to your desktop then install.

Activate Windows Update after installing IE7 to download/install pertinent
updates offered, including Root Certificates updates.

Good luck
edolo

Re: Removing 7/Reinstalling 6

Assumed that was in start/run: >%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe
Message said spuninst cannot be found.
In windows remove asked for Service Pack 3 disk ... SP3 was installed
direct, so will have to determine easiest way to make one.
Checking Window directory discovered a few dozen files such as
>$NtServicePackUninstall$< What does this mean? Note, system still

works okay!
tks, edolo

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 03:57:28 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>Uninstalling IE7
>http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>
>[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
>uninstall 'WIndows Internet Explorer 7' via Add/Remove Programs; it's safe
>to ignore any warnings that such-and-such might not work if you uninstall
>it.]
>
>[http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177]
>
>IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:
>http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
>
>IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
>http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
>
>How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is
>installed:
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964
>
>edolo wrote:
>> WXP Pro.
>> Can't find the subject discussed in this newsgroup -thou lots of
>> others! Sorry if I miss one here!
>> Rarely used Internet Explorer 6 though I thought it was a good
>> program. Setup 6 as my adsl homepage so I can check status - worked
>> well all this time.
>> Last month blindly updated 6 to 7, but 7 wants to set up an emai, bla
>> blal, & not able to work around that.
>> Followed var instr (found with search engine) trying to del in Ctl
>> Panel - am able to del updates but not 7, & 6 will not install over 7.
>> Also, uninstall asks for serpk disk 3 - & like most folks, it was an
>> online update.
>> Am looking @ REGEDIT: is that a viable option?
>> tks, edolo
>> ps: my last option - old timer some sixty years ago told me there
>> weren't nothin he couldn't fix with forty percent stumpin powder!

Re: Removing 7/Reinstalling 6
Think your Registry needs "cleaning" or "repairing"? Read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

edolo wrote:
> Assumed that was in start/run: >%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe
> Message said spuninst cannot be found.
> In windows remove asked for Service Pack 3 disk ... SP3 was installed
> direct, so will have to determine easiest way to make one.
> Checking Window directory discovered a few dozen files such as
>> $NtServicePackUninstall$< What does this mean? Note, system still

> works okay!
> tks, edolo
>

> On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 03:57:28 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
> <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Uninstalling IE7
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>>
>> [Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
>> uninstall 'WIndows Internet Explorer 7' via Add/Remove Programs; it's
>> safe
>> to ignore any warnings that such-and-such might not work if you uninstall
>> it.]
>>
>> [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177]
>>
>> IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
>>
>> IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
>>
>> How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7
>> is installed:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964
>>
>> edolo wrote:
>>> WXP Pro.
>>> Can't find the subject discussed in this newsgroup -thou lots of
>>> others! Sorry if I miss one here!
>>> Rarely used Internet Explorer 6 though I thought it was a good
>>> program. Setup 6 as my adsl homepage so I can check status - worked
>>> well all this time.
>>> Last month blindly updated 6 to 7, but 7 wants to set up an emai, bla
>>> blal, & not able to work around that.
>>> Followed var instr (found with search engine) trying to del in Ctl
>>> Panel - am able to del updates but not 7, & 6 will not install over 7.
>>> Also, uninstall asks for serpk disk 3 - & like most folks, it was an
>>> online update.
>>> Am looking @ REGEDIT: is that a viable option?
>>> tks, edolo
>>> ps: my last option - old timer some sixty years ago told me there
>>> weren't nothin he couldn't fix with forty percent stumpin powder!

edolo

Re: Removing 7/Reinstalling 6
Yes, a few issues in the Registry! Used a few progs but last few years
only used Registry Mechanic together with Regedit to manually edit.
This has worked very well for me - until the IE6/7 fiasco!
As for the control panel thing ... but along the way someone
suggested I try Free Registry Fixer.
Well, as I was installing it, up show IE7 as big as life itself! Did
I scare it or what?
The strang thing is that I could not find it in the START/ALL
PROGRAMS, but had to search the files to make a short-cut.
A real clunky program, so I hope Mary's boy Billy did not pay the guys
much - but hey, I only use it a few times for special project, so do I
care!...
What a harrowing event, so think I'll tie a few flies & go fishing.
Tks all ... it helped - even the gal that complained about my grammer!
edolo

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 23:38:30 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>Think your Registry needs "cleaning" or "repairing"? Read
>http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.
>
>edolo wrote:
>> Assumed that was in start/run: >%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe
>> Message said spuninst cannot be found.
>> In windows remove asked for Service Pack 3 disk ... SP3 was installed
>> direct, so will have to determine easiest way to make one.
>> Checking Window directory discovered a few dozen files such as
>>> $NtServicePackUninstall$< What does this mean? Note, system still

>> works okay!
>> tks, edolo
>>

>> On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 03:57:28 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
>> <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Uninstalling IE7
>>> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>>>
>>> [Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
>>> uninstall 'WIndows Internet Explorer 7' via Add/Remove Programs; it's
>>> safe
>>> to ignore any warnings that such-and-such might not work if you uninstall
>>> it.]
>>>
>>> [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177]
>>>
>>> IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
>>>
>>> IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
>>>
>>> How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7
>>> is installed:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

Re: Removing 7/Reinstalling 6
The point of my reply (and the discussion in that link) was that your use of
these "Registry cleaners" is probably why you're having problems now.

Any IE issues you have now will be resolved after you format & reinstall
Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/