IE7 stopped adding new search providers to my list

Ricky

IE7 stopped adding new search providers to my list
I have had IE7 for most of 2008 with no problems with WIN XP Home SP2.
Some months ago I downloaded SP3 update and have recently noticed that I
cannot now add new search providers to my list. I had no problems doing this
with SP2 - has SP3 done something to IE7 ?? How can I get around this ??
--
Ricky

Re: IE7 stopped adding new search providers to my list
What happens when you try to add a new search provider?

in the background when you installed SP3?

Error "Element not found" when attempting to add a Search Provider in
Internet Explorer 7:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...xplorer-7.html

Error "Internet Explorer could not install this search provider" when adding
a Search provider:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...-provider.html
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Ricky wrote:
> I have had IE7 for most of 2008 with no problems with WIN XP Home SP2.
> Some months ago I downloaded SP3 update and have recently noticed that I
> cannot now add new search providers to my list. I had no problems doing
> this with SP2 - has SP3 done something to IE7 ?? How can I get around
> this
> ??

Ricky

Re: IE7 stopped adding new search providers to my list
Many thanks PA Bear - very helpful. I have Norton Systemworks with Firewall
installed but I had disabled them when I installed SP3 so I don't think that
was the problem.
(I always install major programs and SP's in a "clean boot" state to
minimise any problems)

I tried the instructions in Article 79 first but that did not help.
I then tried instructions in Article 122 and that did the trick !!
Many thanks for your help. Respect.
--
Ricky

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What happens when you try to add a new search provider?

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed SP3?
>
> Error "Element not found" when attempting to add a Search Provider in
> Internet Explorer 7:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...xplorer-7.html
>
> Error "Internet Explorer could not install this search provider" when adding
> a Search provider:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...-provider.html
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Ricky wrote:
> > I have had IE7 for most of 2008 with no problems with WIN XP Home SP2.
> > Some months ago I downloaded SP3 update and have recently noticed that I
> > cannot now add new search providers to my list. I had no problems doing
> > this with SP2 - has SP3 done something to IE7 ?? How can I get around
> > this
> > ??

Re: IE7 stopped adding new search providers to my list
YW & thanks for your feedback.
--
~PA Bear

CC: Ramesh