Internet Explorer cannot read this webpage format ; http 406

Bleau

Internet Explorer cannot read this webpage format ; http 406
Hello. I have a website up in Flash, www.lcsvisuals.com. The site hasn't been
an issue on my computer until lately. When I go to my site, I get the above
message and my site doesn't show up. I contacted my site host and they tell
me my site is good, running and that they can see it and don't get any type
of error message like I do. I had a couple of people bring up my site on
their computers and they got the same error message I did. One of those was
in the same state as me and the other was in another state. As I said, they
both got the same error message I did. I'm running IE7 with XP. I'm just
wondering what happened. I use to be able to see my site on my computer, not
I can't. I don't really want to advertise my site to others in my field as it
would be embarassing for them not to be able to bring it up. Any suggestions?
Ideas? Thanks much for any help you can throw my way. Take care.
Daniel Crichton

Re: Internet Explorer cannot read this webpage format ; http 406
Bleau wrote on Wed, 7 Jan 2009 00:25:01 -0800:

> Hello. I have a website up in Flash, www.lcsvisuals.com. The site
> hasn't been an issue on my computer until lately. When I go to my
> site, I get the above message and my site doesn't show up. I contacted
> my site host and they tell me my site is good, running and that they
> can see it and don't get any type of error message like I do. I had a
> couple of people bring up my site on their computers and they got the
> same error message I did. One of those was in the same state as me and
> the other was in another state. As I said, they both got the same
> error message I did. I'm running IE7 with XP. I'm just wondering what
> happened. I use to be able to see my site on my computer, not
> I can't. I don't really want to advertise my site to others in my field
> as it would be embarassing for them not to be able to bring it up. Any
> suggestions?
> Ideas? Thanks much for any help you can throw my way. Take care.

The site works fine on my IE7 XP SP2 here.

The HTTP 406 response is used when a server cannot send data in a format
accepted by the browser. This suggests that something in your browser
settings are causing it to not send the correct Accept: header. For example,
here is the Accept: header sent by IE7 on my PC to one of my own web servers:

Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/msword,
application/x-shockwave-flash, application/x-silverlight,
application/xaml+xml, application/vnd.ms-xpsdocument, application/x-ms-xbap,
application/x-ms-application, application/x-silverlight-2-b2, */*

Notice, the */* at the end, this is the catch all that is the default. Now,
if your browser isn't sending */*, and is missing any of the required ones
for the content on your site then the server has no choice but to send the
HTTP 406 response because your browser, as far as it can identify from your
request headers, isn't capable of dealing with the data it would return
otherwise.

You can see the request headers sent at http://nerdlabs.org/tools/request_headers.php
(however, note that these are the headers being sent to that site, and may
not be the same as those being sent to your own site if there is something
else running on your PC modifying request headers on a per-site basis).

--
Dan

Daniel Crichton

Re: Internet Explorer cannot read this webpage format ; http 406
Bleau wrote on Wed, 7 Jan 2009 00:25:01 -0800:

> Hello. I have a website up in Flash, www.lcsvisuals.com. The site
> hasn't been an issue on my computer until lately. When I go to my
> site, I get the above message and my site doesn't show up. I contacted
> my site host and they tell me my site is good, running and that they
> can see it and don't get any type of error message like I do. I had a
> couple of people bring up my site on their computers and they got the
> same error message I did. One of those was in the same state as me and
> the other was in another state. As I said, they both got the same
> error message I did. I'm running IE7 with XP. I'm just wondering what
> happened. I use to be able to see my site on my computer, not
> I can't. I don't really want to advertise my site to others in my field
> as it would be embarassing for them not to be able to bring it up. Any
> suggestions?
> Ideas? Thanks much for any help you can throw my way. Take care.

Oh, something else you should be aware of - the EMBED tag is not valid in
XHTML 1.1 Strict which is the DOCTYPE you are using. You should be using the
OBJECT tag for your Shockwave content.

--
Dan

Re: Internet Explorer cannot read this webpage format ; http 406
See these MSDN pages: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx and
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537623.aspx and
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740476.aspx

You can also post here instead: