HTTP and HTTPS protocol associations

PookiePrancer

HTTP and HTTPS protocol associations
I'm using Vista Home Premium, and am trying to associate the HTTP and HTTPS
protocols with Internet Explorer through Vista's Control Panel. Problem is,
Internet Explorer does not appear as an available program when I select
"Change Program..." in the "Set Associations" dialog. The field of available
programs for each of those protocols is blank, and there's no way to browse
for a program (IE) or add it to the field to make it an option. How do I get
Internet Explorer back as an option so I can associate those protocols to it?
Until I do, I can't use IE as my web browser, and have to use an alternate
program.

Re: HTTP and HTTPS protocol associations
If you'd RTFM, you might find...

Change which programs Windows uses by default - Windows Vista Help:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...b1ca21033.mspx

Change default programs using Set Program Access and Computer Defaults -
Windows Vista Help:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...3e26b1033.mspx
--
~PA Bear

PookiePrancer wrote:
> I'm using Vista Home Premium, and am trying to associate the HTTP and
> HTTPS
> protocols with Internet Explorer through Vista's Control Panel. Problem
> is,
> Internet Explorer does not appear as an available program when I select
> "Change Program..." in the "Set Associations" dialog. The field of
> available programs for each of those protocols is blank, and there's no
> way
> to browse for a program (IE) or add it to the field to make it an option.
> How do I get Internet Explorer back as an option so I can associate those
> protocols to it? Until I do, I can't use IE as my web browser, and have to
> use an alternate program.

PookiePrancer

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> If you'd RTFM, you might find...
>
> Change which programs Windows uses by default - Windows Vista Help:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...b1ca21033.mspx

Wow. If RTFM means what I think it means, I'll give you the benefit of the
doubt on the rudeness because I should have explained that I tried that as
well. You could have just asked, you know.
Anyhow, IE says it has all its defaults, but it's not reclaiming http and
http protocols. When I pull up the list of associations it has, they're all
checked off, but those two nevertheless show "unknown program" instead of
"Internet Explorer" like the other seven associations show.
> Change default programs using Set Program Access and Computer Defaults -
> Windows Vista Help:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...3e26b1033.mspx
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> PookiePrancer wrote:
> > I'm using Vista Home Premium, and am trying to associate the HTTP and
> > HTTPS
> > protocols with Internet Explorer through Vista's Control Panel. Problem
> > is,
> > Internet Explorer does not appear as an available program when I select
> > "Change Program..." in the "Set Associations" dialog. The field of
> > available programs for each of those protocols is blank, and there's no
> > way
> > to browse for a program (IE) or add it to the field to make it an option.
> > How do I get Internet Explorer back as an option so I can associate those
> > protocols to it? Until I do, I can't use IE as my web browser, and have to
> > use an alternate program.

Re: HTTP and HTTPS protocol associations
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

PookiePrancer wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If you'd RTFM, you might find...
>>
>> Change which programs Windows uses by default - Windows Vista Help:
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...b1ca21033.mspx

> Wow. If RTFM means what I think it means, I'll give you the benefit of
> the
> doubt on the rudeness because I should have explained that I tried that as
> well. You could have just asked, you know.
> Anyhow, IE says it has all its defaults, but it's not reclaiming http and
> http protocols. When I pull up the list of associations it has, they're
> all
> checked off, but those two nevertheless show "unknown program" instead of
> "Internet Explorer" like the other seven associations show.
>> Change default programs using Set Program Access and Computer Defaults -
>> Windows Vista Help:
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...3e26b1033.mspx
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> PookiePrancer wrote:
>>> I'm using Vista Home Premium, and am trying to associate the HTTP and
>>> HTTPS
>>> protocols with Internet Explorer through Vista's Control Panel. Problem
>>> is,
>>> Internet Explorer does not appear as an available program when I select
>>> "Change Program..." in the "Set Associations" dialog. The field of
>>> available programs for each of those protocols is blank, and there's no
>>> way
>>> to browse for a program (IE) or add it to the field to make it an
>>> option.
>>> How do I get Internet Explorer back as an option so I can associate
>>> those
>>> protocols to it? Until I do, I can't use IE as my web browser, and have
>>> use an alternate program.

PookiePrancer

Re: HTTP and HTTPS protocol associations
Ok; thanks! I'll look into this suggestion.

Re: HTTP and HTTPS protocol associations
And you'r replying to...?

PookiePrancer wrote:
> Ok; thanks! I'll look into this suggestion.

PookiePrancer

Re: HTTP and HTTPS protocol associations
The Hijackthis idea. Like I said, I had already done what you originally
suggested, so I think it's worth looking into possible malware. Thanks
again!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> And you'r replying to...?
>
> PookiePrancer wrote:
> > Ok; thanks! I'll look into this suggestion.

rob^_^

Re: HTTP and HTTPS protocol associations
They are protocol handlers, not file handlers.

Compare your registry entries for "http" and "InternetShortcut" in the HKCR
root.

Regards.