IE8 Blocker Toolkit available (05 Jan-08)

IE8 Blocker Toolkit available (05 Jan-08)
[Crossposted to IE Beta, IE General, & WU newsgroups; Followup-To set for IE
General]

Let the rumors begin!...

Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 8
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...e-8e224ec6dd8c

Internet Explorer 8 Blocker Toolkit: Frequently Asked Questions
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/u.../dd365124.aspx

IE8: What's after Beta 2?
["We will release one more public update of IE8 in the first quarter of
2009, and then follow that up with the final release."]
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...er-beta-2.aspx

NB: There were at least three (3) IE7 Release Candidates before IE7 Final
was released about two years ago so YMMV.
--
~PA Bear

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Blocker Toolkit available (05 Jan-08)
I heard Microsoft is going to skip IE 8 altogether and go straight to IE 9.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [Crossposted to IE Beta, IE General, & WU newsgroups; Followup-To set
> for IE General]
>
> Let the rumors begin!...
>
> Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 8
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...e-8e224ec6dd8c
>

> Internet Explorer 8 Blocker Toolkit: Frequently Asked Questions
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/u.../dd365124.aspx
>
> IE8: What's after Beta 2?
> ["We will release one more public update of IE8 in the first quarter of
> 2009, and then follow that up with the final release."]
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...er-beta-2.aspx
>
> NB: There were at least three (3) IE7 Release Candidates before IE7
> Final was released about two years ago so YMMV.

Re: IE8 Blocker Toolkit available (05 Jan-08)
<guffaw> I've heard that IE9's being replaced by FF v4.x!

Leonard Grey wrote:
> I heard Microsoft is going to skip IE 8 altogether and go straight to IE
> 9.
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> [Crossposted to IE Beta, IE General, & WU newsgroups; Followup-To set
>> for IE General]
>>
>> Let the rumors begin!...
>>
>> Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 8
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...e-8e224ec6dd8c
>>

>> Internet Explorer 8 Blocker Toolkit: Frequently Asked Questions
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/u.../dd365124.aspx
>>
>> IE8: What's after Beta 2?
>> ["We will release one more public update of IE8 in the first quarter of
>> 2009, and then follow that up with the final release."]
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...er-beta-2.aspx
>>
>> NB: There were at least three (3) IE7 Release Candidates before IE7
>> Final was released about two years ago so YMMV.

Re: IE8 Blocker Toolkit available (05 Jan-08)
Also see
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...ble-today.aspx
--
~PA Bear

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [Crossposted to IE Beta, IE General, & WU newsgroups; Followup-To set for
> IE
> General]
>
> Let the rumors begin!...
>
> Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 8
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...e-8e224ec6dd8c
>
> Internet Explorer 8 Blocker Toolkit: Frequently Asked Questions
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/u.../dd365124.aspx
>
> IE8: What's after Beta 2?
> ["We will release one more public update of IE8 in the first quarter of
> 2009, and then follow that up with the final release."]
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...er-beta-2.aspx
>
> NB: There were at least three (3) IE7 Release Candidates before IE7 Final
> was released about two years ago so YMMV.

tina

Re: IE8 Blocker Toolkit available (05 Jan-08)
so the final release would be after march 31, 2009? what classification
would the update be rolled out under?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Also see
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...ble-today.aspx
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> > [Crossposted to IE Beta, IE General, & WU newsgroups; Followup-To set for
> > IE
> > General]
> >
> > Let the rumors begin!...
> >
> > Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 8
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...e-8e224ec6dd8c
> >
> > Internet Explorer 8 Blocker Toolkit: Frequently Asked Questions
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/u.../dd365124.aspx
> >
> > IE8: What's after Beta 2?
> > ["We will release one more public update of IE8 in the first quarter of
> > 2009, and then follow that up with the final release."]
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...er-beta-2.aspx
> >
> > NB: There were at least three (3) IE7 Release Candidates before IE7 Final
> > was released about two years ago so YMMV.

Re: IE8 Blocker Toolkit available (05 Jan-08)
No one knows when IE8 Final will be released.

Your second question is answered in the last link I posted. Did you read
that page?...

<QP>
The IE8 [upgrade] will be released as the highest priority update for each
operating system. For Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, it will be
listed as Important. For Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, the update will
be listed as High Priority...
</QP>

tina wrote:
> so the final release would be after march 31, 2009? what classification
> would the update be rolled out under?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Also see
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...ble-today.aspx
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>> [Crossposted to IE Beta, IE General, & WU newsgroups; Followup-To set
>>> for
>>> IE
>>> General]
>>>
>>> Let the rumors begin!...
>>>
>>> Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 8
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...e-8e224ec6dd8c
>>>
>>> Internet Explorer 8 Blocker Toolkit: Frequently Asked Questions
>>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/u.../dd365124.aspx
>>>
>>> IE8: What's after Beta 2?
>>> ["We will release one more public update of IE8 in the first quarter of
>>> 2009, and then follow that up with the final release."]
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...er-beta-2.aspx
>>>
>>> NB: There were at least three (3) IE7 Release Candidates before IE7
>>> Final
>>> was released about two years ago so YMMV.

tina

Re: IE8 Blocker Toolkit available (05 Jan-08)
i did read that page but it didn't tell me if it would be released as a
Critical Update, Security Update or if it would be released under Update
Rollups. since ie7 was released under update rollups i guess ie8 will also.
we use wsus to get updates and we don't want ie8 at this time. thanks

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> No one knows when IE8 Final will be released.
>
> Your second question is answered in the last link I posted. Did you read
> that page?...
>
> <QP>
> The IE8 [upgrade] will be released as the highest priority update for each
> operating system. For Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, it will be
> listed as Important. For Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, the update will
> be listed as High Priority...
> </QP>
>
> tina wrote:
> > so the final release would be after march 31, 2009? what classification
> > would the update be rolled out under?
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Also see
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...ble-today.aspx
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Re: IE8 Blocker Toolkit available (05 Jan-08)
Translations...

WinXP & Win2003: IE8 will be released as a High Priority update, just like
IE7 was. If Automatic Updates is set to the Automatic setting (cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525), IE8 will be downloaded & installed
but you will still have to approve the installation.

Vista & Win2008: IE8 will be released as an Important update, just like the
monthly security updates are. If Automatic Updates is set to the Automatic
setting (cf.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...owsupdate.mspx),
IE8 will be downloaded & installed but you will still have to approve the
installation.

Tip: I would recommend that you (1) disable your anti-virus application and
(2) any "real time" protections afforded by any anti-spyware application
(other than Defender), (3a) disable any third-party firewall and then (3b)
enable the Windows Firewall before installing IE8.
--
~PA Bear