No Favorites list for one user in IE 7

Roy

No Favorites list for one user in IE 7
I recently installed IE 7 on Dell desktop that has more than one User id.
The favorites list for one of the users (not the sys admin) is completely
blank. Selecting View/Explorer Bar/Favorites is of no help. The Explorer
Bar appears with the Favorites, Feeds and History Icons but selecting the
Favorites icon only produces a gray background with no list of Faqvorites
even though there are entries in the Favorites folder of the user. Also if I
select Favorites/Add to Favorites or Organize Favorites from the menu bar
nothing happens. Has anyone encountered a similar problem.

Re: No Favorites list for one user in IE 7
You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest that
you...

1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
Programs!]

2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds).

2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.

3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10 &
#11; take note of #12, then STOP!

NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the

Or Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
Optional category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's additional
security.

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

What's New in Internet Explorer 7

Release Notes
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Roy wrote:
> I recently installed IE 7 on Dell desktop that has more than one User id.
> The favorites list for one of the users (not the sys admin) is completely
> blank. Selecting View/Explorer Bar/Favorites is of no help. The Explorer
> Bar appears with the Favorites, Feeds and History Icons but selecting the
> Favorites icon only produces a gray background with no list of Faqvorites
> even though there are entries in the Favorites folder of the user. Also
> if
> I select Favorites/Add to Favorites or Organize Favorites from the menu
> bar
> nothing happens. Has anyone encountered a similar problem.

Roy

Re: No Favorites list for one user in IE 7
Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed response but I have subsequently
learned from one of the other users of the User ID in question that the
problem existed with IE 6 as well before the install of IE 7 (my bad). It
was just coincidental that I detected the problem in that User Id after the
IE 7 intallation because I don't normally log in to it unless I'm checking
out how things went after doing updates or installs under the sys admin id.
However, in light of your suggestion would it make sense to uninstall all
versions of IE and start from scratch?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest that
> you...
>
> 1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
> %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
> Programs!]
>
> 2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
> Blinds).
>
> 2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.
>
> 3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10 &
> #11; take note of #12, then STOP!
>
> NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the
> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update.
>
> Or Direct Download link:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b
>
> Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.
>
> 4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
> critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
> Optional category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's additional
> security.
>
> Also see:
>
> IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
>
> What's New in Internet Explorer 7
>
> Release Notes
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx
>
> IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Roy wrote:
> > I recently installed IE 7 on Dell desktop that has more than one User id.
> > The favorites list for one of the users (not the sys admin) is completely
> > blank. Selecting View/Explorer Bar/Favorites is of no help. The Explorer
> > Bar appears with the Favorites, Feeds and History Icons but selecting the
> > Favorites icon only produces a gray background with no list of Faqvorites
> > even though there are entries in the Favorites folder of the user. Also
> > if
> > I select Favorites/Add to Favorites or Organize Favorites from the menu
> > bar
> > nothing happens. Has anyone encountered a similar problem.

Re: No Favorites list for one user in IE 7
If the problem existed in IE6, I'd suspect hijackware to be the cause, Roy.
(Yes, hijackware can infect one User Profile.)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

Or you might consider deleting the User Profile altogether (although I
wouldn't *and* trust the security of all other Profiles).
--
~PA Bear