tabs gone crazy!

newstromnew

tabs gone crazy!
everyonce in a while, after opening several tabs, all of a sudden iexplorer
gets crazy and starts opening new tabs FOR EVER... i´ve seen 100 new tabs
opening and can´t do anything to stop it! must reboot everytime that
happens...

Re: tabs gone crazy!
you must feel terrible...

newstromnew wrote:
> everyonce in a while, after opening several tabs, all of a sudden
> iexplorer
> gets crazy and starts opening new tabs FOR EVER... i´ve seen 100 new tabs
> opening and can´t do anything to stop it! must reboot everytime that
> happens...

Leonard Grey

Re: tabs gone crazy!
Malicious software ("malware") could be installed on your computer.

Make sure that your anti-malware software is running, then download the
latest signatures and run a full scan.

Comprehensive anti-malware software scans for all types of malicious
software in the background, on demand and on schedule. If you don't have
comprehensive anti-malware software, you're a sitting duck.

For now try scanning your system with /several/ of the better online
scanners, such as:
Kaspersky Antivirus (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
Panda ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan)

Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. Run it, save a log, and
post the log at one of the many sites that support HJT, such as
spywarewarrior.com, bleepingcomputer.com, and http://aumha.net -- but
not here. Within a day you'll have step-by-step advice from an expert on
cleaning up any malware infestations.

Even the best detection and removal software can't fix every malware
infection. If none of the above remove the infection, you may want to
show the computer to a professional. You might need to erase your hard
drive and start over.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

newstromnew wrote:
> everyonce in a while, after opening several tabs, all of a sudden iexplorer
> gets crazy and starts opening new tabs FOR EVER... i´ve seen 100 new tabs
> opening and can´t do anything to stop it! must reboot everytime that
> happens...

stein067

RE: tabs gone crazy!
I am experiencing a very similar problem. In my case, it seems to occur when
I have 2 IE windows open. In one window, I right click a link and say "Open
in New Tab." The link opens just fine in a new tab. However, when I close
the new tab, continuous new tabs start to open up in the 2nd IE window.
These tabs are not blank but rather seem to be the 1st page that I opened in
the 1st IE window (or, more correctly, the 1st page that I opened after the
MSN home page opened as my default home page). After that the symptoms are
exactly the same, tabs will open repeatedly seemingly into the hundreds until
I force IE to close through Task Manager or by some other means.

I am using IE7 on XP SP3. In fact, I am pretty certain that SP3 is the
cause because this started happening immediately after I installed it.

I have run repeated spyware and virus scans and found nothing. I am not at
all sure that it is malware related. I would not rush to erase your hard
drive as suggested by another poster.

Let me know if you have found a cure. It is driving me insane.

Thanks!

Paul

"newstromnew" wrote:

> everyonce in a while, after opening several tabs, all of a sudden iexplorer
> gets crazy and starts opening new tabs FOR EVER... i´ve seen 100 new tabs
> opening and can´t do anything to stop it! must reboot everytime that
> happens...

Re: tabs gone crazy!
1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

• Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
Add-ons; or

• Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet
Explorer (No add-ons).

2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
automatically returns you to IE6), and (b) uninstall any/all toolbars and
(c) uninstall any third-party Windows Theme (including Window Blinds) and
(d) you do NOT reinstall IE7, does this behavior persist?

NB: If it does, STOP HERE! Do NOT reinstall IE7, just reply to this post.

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall via Add/Remove Programs! It's safe to ignore any "such and such
may not work" warnings. Ignore any references to Vista on the webpage.]

Also see:

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

4. Assuming everything's OK in IE6, reinstall IE7 exactly per...

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install [Again, ignore any
references to Vista]

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Or use this Download link:
(Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.)

5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Software Updates category offers Root Certificates update, opt to install it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/