IE Auto launches

NancyATN

IE Auto launches
I have searched all over the Internet and this forum too and can't find an
answer to my dilemma. IE is auto launching to MSN.com no matter what I do. I
had this problem on my computer and managed to get rid of it by getting rid
of IE, since I use Mozilla. On my daughter's computer, I have uninstalled IE
while in Admin mode and have managed to get rid of the annoying auto
launching under MY login, but my daughter's login still is a problem. I have
unchecked ALL add-ins. We open FireFox and while surfing, IE pops up. Even
though IE doesn't show up in programs, (I have uninstalled it) it is still
launching on its own. HELP. It has been a huge hassle. Thanks.
Don Varnau

Re: IE Auto launches
Hi,
Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1,SP2,etc.)
Which version of Internet Explorer?

You didn't uninstall Internet Explorer- you removed access to it. IE can't
be uninstalled from XP or Vista.

Is a program like MSN Messenger or Live Messenger loading at startup? Check
Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete)

What security programs are installed and running?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"NancyATN" <NancyATN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have searched all over the Internet and this forum too and can't find an
> answer to my dilemma. IE is auto launching to MSN.com no matter what I do.

> had this problem on my computer and managed to get rid of it by getting

rid
> of IE, since I use Mozilla. On my daughter's computer, I have uninstalled

IE
> while in Admin mode and have managed to get rid of the annoying auto
> launching under MY login, but my daughter's login still is a problem. I

have
> unchecked ALL add-ins. We open FireFox and while surfing, IE pops up. Even
> though IE doesn't show up in programs, (I have uninstalled it) it is still
> launching on its own. HELP. It has been a huge hassle. Thanks.

NancyATN

Re: IE Auto launches
IE 7.0 XP SP 2, running Avast antivirus program. Already checked Task
Manager, no superfluous stuff running, got rid of Messenger (or think I did?)
as we never use it. I did manage to resolve this yesterday by downloading and
running Hijack, and deleting all things related to IE. The autolaunch has
stopped. I would, however, welcome your thoughts as to what caused this so I
can learn something new.
Thanks.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1,SP2,etc.)
> Which version of Internet Explorer?
>
> You didn't uninstall Internet Explorer- you removed access to it. IE can't
> be uninstalled from XP or Vista.
>
> Is a program like MSN Messenger or Live Messenger loading at startup? Check
> Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete)
>
> What security programs are installed and running?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "NancyATN" <NancyATN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have searched all over the Internet and this forum too and can't find an
> > answer to my dilemma. IE is auto launching to MSN.com no matter what I do.

> > had this problem on my computer and managed to get rid of it by getting

> rid
> > of IE, since I use Mozilla. On my daughter's computer, I have uninstalled

> IE
> > while in Admin mode and have managed to get rid of the annoying auto
> > launching under MY login, but my daughter's login still is a problem. I

> have
> > unchecked ALL add-ins. We open FireFox and while surfing, IE pops up. Even
> > though IE doesn't show up in programs, (I have uninstalled it) it is still
> > launching on its own. HELP. It has been a huge hassle. Thanks.

NancyATN

Re: IE Auto launches
OK, I spoke too soon. Not only is a BLANK window (titled IE) popping up on my
daughter's computer, but now I have it coming up on my computer again, too.
What the heck is the problem here?

"NancyATN" wrote:

> IE 7.0 XP SP 2, running Avast antivirus program. Already checked Task
> Manager, no superfluous stuff running, got rid of Messenger (or think I did?)
> as we never use it. I did manage to resolve this yesterday by downloading and
> running Hijack, and deleting all things related to IE. The autolaunch has
> stopped. I would, however, welcome your thoughts as to what caused this so I
> can learn something new.
> Thanks.
>
> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1,SP2,etc.)
> > Which version of Internet Explorer?
> >
> > You didn't uninstall Internet Explorer- you removed access to it. IE can't
> > be uninstalled from XP or Vista.
> >
> > Is a program like MSN Messenger or Live Messenger loading at startup? Check
> > Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete)
> >
> > What security programs are installed and running?
> >
> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]
> >
> > "NancyATN" <NancyATN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have searched all over the Internet and this forum too and can't find an
> > > answer to my dilemma. IE is auto launching to MSN.com no matter what I do.

> > > had this problem on my computer and managed to get rid of it by getting

> > rid
> > > of IE, since I use Mozilla. On my daughter's computer, I have uninstalled

> > IE
> > > while in Admin mode and have managed to get rid of the annoying auto
> > > launching under MY login, but my daughter's login still is a problem. I

> > have
> > > unchecked ALL add-ins. We open FireFox and while surfing, IE pops up. Even
> > > though IE doesn't show up in programs, (I have uninstalled it) it is still
> > > launching on its own. HELP. It has been a huge hassle. Thanks.

Don Varnau

Re: IE Auto launches
Hi,
You've taken steps to rule out a legitimate program as the cause. It's
probably a malware problem.

See these sites for help, including the posting of a HijackThis log to one
of the forums where HJT logs are analyzed:

The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Removing Malware:

Partial list of forums- there are others:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
http://forums.whatthetech.com/forums.html
http://www.spywareinfoforum.info/

You will have to register to post to any of these forums and should look for
one or more "Important- Read this first" type messages, at whatever forum
you choose, for specific instructions.