Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Q: IE7 tab settings option missing

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2009
Malcolm Dew-Jones
 

Posts: n/a
Q: IE7 tab settings option missing
Hello

A coworker has an odd problem with trying to control the settings of her
tabs.

IE7 7.0.5730 (same as me).
She is using tabs for browsing and they work.

She opens the "Tools::Internet Options" dialog. She chooses "General".
But the segement of the dialog that deals with Tabs is missing. She sees

Home Page ---------------
etc.
Browsing History --------
etc.
Search ------------------
etc.
Appearance --------------
etc.

In my browser (same version) I see an additional segment between Search
and Appearance, that looks sort of like...

Tabs -------
xxxx change how webpoages etc. [Settings]

She doesn't see that, so she can't control her tab settings. Does anyone
have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2009
Don Varnau
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE7 tab settings option missing
Hi,
Windows XP or Vista? Which version? (e.g. Home, Pro, Ultimate, Basic, etc)

Is this a workplace computer or a home computer?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Malcolm Dew-Jones" <yf110@vtn1.victoria.tc.ca> wrote in message
news:49639bf8$1@news.victoria.tc.ca...
> Hello
>
> A coworker has an odd problem with trying to control the settings of her
> tabs.
>
> IE7 7.0.5730 (same as me).
> She is using tabs for browsing and they work.
>
> She opens the "Tools::Internet Options" dialog. She chooses "General".
> But the segement of the dialog that deals with Tabs is missing. She sees
>
> Home Page ---------------
> etc.
> Browsing History --------
> etc.
> Search ------------------
> etc.
> Appearance --------------
> etc.
>
> In my browser (same version) I see an additional segment between Search
> and Appearance, that looks sort of like...
>
> Tabs -------
> xxxx change how webpages etc. [Settings]
>
> She doesn't see that, so she can't control her tab settings. Does anyone
> have any idea how to fix this?
>
> Thanks.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2009
Malcolm Dew-Jones
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE7 tab settings option missing
Don Varnau (don_04[at]varnau[dot]org) wrote:

: Hi,
: Windows XP or Vista? Which version? (e.g. Home, Pro, Ultimate, Basic, etc)

: Is this a workplace computer or a home computer?

: Don
: [MS MVP- IE]

: "Malcolm Dew-Jones" <yf110@vtn1.victoria.tc.ca> wrote in message
: news:49639bf8$1@news.victoria.tc.ca...
: > Hello
: >
: > A coworker has an odd problem with trying to control the settings of her
: > tabs.
: >
: > IE7 7.0.5730 (same as me).
: > She is using tabs for browsing and they work.
: >
: > She opens the "Tools::Internet Options" dialog. She chooses "General".
: > But the segement of the dialog that deals with Tabs is missing. She sees
: >
: > Home Page ---------------
: > etc.
: > Browsing History --------
: > etc.
: > Search ------------------
: > etc.
: > Appearance --------------
: > etc.
: >
: > In my browser (same version) I see an additional segment between Search
: > and Appearance, that looks sort of like...
: >
: > Tabs -------
: > xxxx change how webpages etc. [Settings]
: >
: > She doesn't see that, so she can't control her tab settings. Does anyone
: > have any idea how to fix this?
: >
: > Thanks.

She's left for the day, I'll have to check that tomorrow.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2009
Malcolm Dew-Jones
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE7 tab settings option missing
Malcolm Dew-Jones (yf110@vtn1.victoria.tc.ca) wrote:
: Don Varnau (don_04[at]varnau[dot]org) wrote:

: : Hi,
: : Windows XP or Vista? Which version? (e.g. Home, Pro, Ultimate, Basic, etc)

: : Is this a workplace computer or a home computer?

: : Don
: : [MS MVP- IE]

: : "Malcolm Dew-Jones" <yf110@vtn1.victoria.tc.ca> wrote in message
: : news:49639bf8$1@news.victoria.tc.ca...
: : > Hello
: : >
: : > A coworker has an odd problem with trying to control the settings of her
: : > tabs.
: : >
: : > IE7 7.0.5730 (same as me).
: : > She is using tabs for browsing and they work.
: : >
: : > She opens the "Tools::Internet Options" dialog. She chooses "General".
: : > But the segement of the dialog that deals with Tabs is missing. She sees
: : >
: : > Home Page ---------------
: : > etc.
: : > Browsing History --------
: : > etc.
: : > Search ------------------
: : > etc.
: : > Appearance --------------
: : > etc.
: : >
: : > In my browser (same version) I see an additional segment between Search
: : > and Appearance, that looks sort of like...
: : >
: : > Tabs -------
: : > xxxx change how webpages etc. [Settings]
: : >
: : > She doesn't see that, so she can't control her tab settings. Does anyone
: : > have any idea how to fix this?
: : >
: : > Thanks.

: She's left for the day, I'll have to check that tomorrow.

According to control panel, system, general

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Plus we get automatic updates on a regular basis. (Not direct from
microsoft, but from a server at work that the network guys have setup.
They do that so they can test the changes before we get them). I don't
know how to easily list those, though I see a long list of them in Control
Panel, Add Remove Programs.

Thanks for any feedback
Malcolm Dew-Jones

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2009
Don Varnau
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE7 tab settings option missing
> : : "Malcolm Dew-Jones" <yf110@vtn1.victoria.tc.ca> wrote in message
> : : news:49639bf8$1@news.victoria.tc.ca...
> : : > Hello
> : : >
> : : > A coworker has an odd problem with trying to control the settings of

her
> : : > tabs.
> : : >
> : : > IE7 7.0.5730 (same as me).
> : : > She is using tabs for browsing and they work.
> : : >
> : : > She opens the "Tools::Internet Options" dialog. She chooses

"General".
> : : > But the segement of the dialog that deals with Tabs is missing. She

sees
> : : >
> : : > Home Page ---------------
> : : > etc.
> : : > Browsing History --------
> : : > etc.
> : : > Search ------------------
> : : > etc.
> : : > Appearance --------------
> : : > etc.
> : : >
> : : > In my browser (same version) I see an additional segment between

Search
> : : > and Appearance, that looks sort of like...
> : : >
> : : > Tabs -------
> : : > xxxx change how webpages etc. [Settings]
> : : >
> : : > She doesn't see that, so she can't control her tab settings. Does

anyone
> : : > have any idea how to fix this?
> : : >
> : : > Thanks.



> : Don Varnau (don_04[at]varnau[dot]org) wrote:
>
> : : Hi,
> : : Windows XP or Vista? Which version? (e.g. Home, Pro, Ultimate, Basic,

etc)
>
> : : Is this a workplace computer or a home computer?



"Malcolm Dew-Jones" <yf110@vtn1.victoria.tc.ca> wrote in message
news:4964ec2f$1@news.victoria.tc.ca...
> : She's left for the day, I'll have to check that tomorrow.
>
> According to control panel, system, general
>
> Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional
> Version 2002
> Service Pack 2
>
> Plus we get automatic updates on a regular basis. (Not direct from
> microsoft, but from a server at work that the network guys have setup.
> They do that so they can test the changes before we get them). I don't
> know how to easily list those, though I see a long list of them in Control
> Panel, Add Remove Programs.
>
> Thanks for any feedback
> Malcolm Dew-Jones


Hi,
If this is a company-owned, company configured computer, you/she should
check with the person responsible for setting-up and maintaining it.

There are several Group Policy options relating to tabs. It's possible this
(Tabs> Settings) option was disabled inadvertently- there's not a
security-related reason to prevent a user from changing tab behavior.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Folder Option View Settings - Is this issue being worked on? Dar Wunder microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 0 01-02-2009 21:06
missing f8 boot option ? Digital Daydreams microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 02-16-2008 23:06
Add Missing Channels....NO OPTION RobB microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 11-16-2007 03:54
Sleep Option Missing Marc Seidler microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 03-24-2007 13:28
Missing Option =?Utf-8?B?U3Rhbg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 03-01-2007 09:05




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:28.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120