IE7 after Maxthon

PookiePrancer

IE7 after Maxthon
I've been using Maxthon as my default browser for some time now, and have
decided to just going back to IE. I made IE my default browser, and
un-checked Maxthon as the default, but now nothing works. Links in email
don't open IE; typing a web site address into the Vista's "Start Search" box
doesn't either. Whenever I do anything that should open the default browser,
I get a pop-up message:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel."

Any ideas?
PookiePrancer

RE: IE7 after Maxthon
I just noticed that "URL: Hypertext Transfer Protocol" and "URL: Hypertext
Transfer Protocol with Privacy" both have "Unknown Application" as their
default program, which I'm sure is the problem.

But when I click "Change Program" in Vista's "Set Associations" window, the
only available program that shows up as an option is Maxthon. How do I
assign IE?

"PookiePrancer" wrote:

> I've been using Maxthon as my default browser for some time now, and have
> decided to just going back to IE. I made IE my default browser, and
> un-checked Maxthon as the default, but now nothing works. Links in email
> don't open IE; typing a web site address into the Vista's "Start Search" box
> doesn't either. Whenever I do anything that should open the default browser,
> I get a pop-up message:
>
> "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
> action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel."
>
> Any ideas?

Kayman

Re: IE7 after Maxthon
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:02:06 -0800, PookiePrancer wrote:

> I've been using Maxthon as my default browser for some time now, and have
> decided to just going back to IE. I made IE my default browser, and
> un-checked Maxthon as the default, but now nothing works. Links in email
> don't open IE; typing a web site address into the Vista's "Start Search" box
> doesn't either. Whenever I do anything that should open the default browser,
> I get a pop-up message:
>
> "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
> action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel."
>
> Any ideas?

How do I uninstall Maxthon Browser?
http://www.maxthon.com/support.htm

Internet Explorer 7 Knowledge Base
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase.html

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Read: "What you must know"
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and Windows Internet
Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

Good luck
PookiePrancer

Re: IE7 after Maxthon

"Kayman" wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:02:06 -0800, PookiePrancer wrote:
>
> > I've been using Maxthon as my default browser for some time now, and have
> > decided to just going back to IE. I made IE my default browser, and
> > un-checked Maxthon as the default, but now nothing works. Links in email
> > don't open IE; typing a web site address into the Vista's "Start Search" box
> > doesn't either. Whenever I do anything that should open the default browser,
> > I get a pop-up message:
> >
> > "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
> > action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel."
> >
> > Any ideas?

> How do I uninstall Maxthon Browser?
> http://www.maxthon.com/support.htm
>
> Internet Explorer 7 Knowledge Base
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase.html
>
> How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
> Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
>
> How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
> Read: "What you must know"
> Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and Windows Internet
> Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
>
> Good luck

Thanks for the effort. Maxthon is uninstalled. IE is reset. Still
nothing. I think I need to edit the registry to reassociate HTTP and HTTPS
with IE. When I try to do so from Vista's Control Panel, IE doesn't even
show up as a program option.
Kayman

Re: IE7 after Maxthon
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 16:28:05 -0800, PookiePrancer wrote:

> "Kayman" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:02:06 -0800, PookiePrancer wrote:
>>
>>> I've been using Maxthon as my default browser for some time now, and have
>>> decided to just going back to IE. I made IE my default browser, and
>>> un-checked Maxthon as the default, but now nothing works. Links in email
>>> don't open IE; typing a web site address into the Vista's "Start Search" box
>>> doesn't either. Whenever I do anything that should open the default browser,
>>> I get a pop-up message:
>>>
>>> "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
>>> action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel."
>>>
>>> Any ideas?

>> How do I uninstall Maxthon Browser?
>> http://www.maxthon.com/support.htm
>>
>> Internet Explorer 7 Knowledge Base
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase.html
>>
>> How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
>> Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
>>
>> How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>> Read: "What you must know"
>> Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and Windows Internet
>> Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
>>
>> Good luck
>>

> Thanks for the effort. Maxthon is uninstalled. IE is reset. Still
> nothing. I think I need to edit the registry to reassociate HTTP and HTTPS
> with IE. When I try to do so from Vista's Control Panel, IE doesn't even
> show up as a program option.

I have no other recourse for you.
PookiePrancer

Re: IE7 after Maxthon
:-)

That's ok; thanks for your suggestions anyway. It doesn't sound like
there's an easy fix, so I'll stick to Maxthon or Firefox for now.

gsziszi is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: IE7 after Maxthon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
:-)

That's ok; thanks for your suggestions anyway. It doesn't sound like
there's an easy fix, so I'll stick to Maxthon or Firefox for now.
I had the same issue before. It can be modified in the registry only.
You can do the following:
1. Run the application regedit
2. Find the following entry: Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IE.FTP\shell\open\comma nd
3. Just copy the value from it (something like this: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" %1)
4. Open the entries:
Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IE.HTTP\shell\open\comm and
and
Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IE.HTTPS\shell\open\com mand
entries, and change the values to the copied from the ftp entry.

And voila... It doesn't matter if Maxthon is uninstalled or not.