Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

problems supressing file download dialog box (open-save-cancel)

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2009
GADOI
 

Posts: n/a
problems supressing file download dialog box (open-save-cancel)
Hello:
I have a web site located in the intranet zone. It is a document management
interface.
When something is clicked on the web page it starts downloading a document.

Using IE 7 on XP-PRO or Vista.

Because of issues of authoritative documents, we want to:
1) either not have a File download dialog box, just start the download,
2) if we must have a File Download dialog box, we would like it not to have
the Save button.

It is clear, that once the helper document is open, someone could save the
document, and there is no way around that.

From an application/policy point of view, we do not want to offer a save
capability, if possible.
But the larger question is: how can we suppress the dialog box alltogether
and have the stream be downloaded automatically. This is not a public web
site but one in a controled environment, so we can actually push some
settings at logon through group policies..

Thanks

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2009
ju.c
 

Posts: n/a
Re: problems supressing file download dialog box (open-save-cancel)
I don't know how to do that using Group Policy but this is the regular way:


> 1) either not have a File download dialog box, just start the download.


1. Open 'Tools-->Internet Options'.
2. Select the "Security" tab.
3. Highlight "Intranet" then click the "Custom level..." button.
4. Scroll down to 'Downloads/Automatic prompting for file downloads' and disable.
5. OK, Apply, OK.


> 2) if we must have a File Download dialog box, we would like it not to have

the Save button.

1. Open Folder Options from the Control Panel or Explorer.
2. Select the "File Types" tab.
3. Scroll down to the extension you wish to modify and highlight it.
4. Click the "Advanced" button.
5. Uncheck "Confirm open after download".


ju.c


"GADOI" <support@oci.com> wrote in message news:OKu47g$bJHA.6036@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hello:
> I have a web site located in the intranet zone. It is a document management
> interface.
> When something is clicked on the web page it starts downloading a document.
>
> Using IE 7 on XP-PRO or Vista.
>
> Because of issues of authoritative documents, we want to:
> 1) either not have a File download dialog box, just start the download,
> 2) if we must have a File Download dialog box, we would like it not to have
> the Save button.
>
> It is clear, that once the helper document is open, someone could save the
> document, and there is no way around that.
>
> From an application/policy point of view, we do not want to offer a save
> capability, if possible.
> But the larger question is: how can we suppress the dialog box alltogether
> and have the stream be downloaded automatically. This is not a public web
> site but one in a controled environment, so we can actually push some
> settings at logon through group policies..
>
> Thanks
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2009
GADOI
 

Posts: n/a
Re: problems supressing file download dialog box (open-save-cancel)
Thank you.
I belive in Vista: Control Pannel -> Default programs -> Associate a file
type or protocol with a program, but even then, that functionality is not
exposed. I belive I need to go into the registry.
Microsoft made this even less intuitive with vista...you would think they
would do everything possible to avoid people messing around with registry
settings...

"ju.c" <bibidybubidyboop@mailnator.com> wrote in message
news:eAigMiAcJHA.1532@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>I don't know how to do that using Group Policy but this is the regular way:
>
>
>> 1) either not have a File download dialog box, just start the download.

>
> 1. Open 'Tools-->Internet Options'.
> 2. Select the "Security" tab.
> 3. Highlight "Intranet" then click the "Custom level..." button.
> 4. Scroll down to 'Downloads/Automatic prompting for file downloads' and
> disable.
> 5. OK, Apply, OK.
>
>
>> 2) if we must have a File Download dialog box, we would like it not to
>> have

> the Save button.
>
> 1. Open Folder Options from the Control Panel or Explorer.
> 2. Select the "File Types" tab.
> 3. Scroll down to the extension you wish to modify and highlight it.
> 4. Click the "Advanced" button.
> 5. Uncheck "Confirm open after download".
>
>
> ju.c
>
>
> "GADOI" <support@oci.com> wrote in message
> news:OKu47g$bJHA.6036@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Hello:
>> I have a web site located in the intranet zone. It is a document
>> management
>> interface.
>> When something is clicked on the web page it starts downloading a
>> document.
>>
>> Using IE 7 on XP-PRO or Vista.
>>
>> Because of issues of authoritative documents, we want to:
>> 1) either not have a File download dialog box, just start the download,
>> 2) if we must have a File Download dialog box, we would like it not to
>> have
>> the Save button.
>>
>> It is clear, that once the helper document is open, someone could save
>> the
>> document, and there is no way around that.
>>
>> From an application/policy point of view, we do not want to offer a save
>> capability, if possible.
>> But the larger question is: how can we suppress the dialog box
>> alltogether and have the stream be downloaded automatically. This is not
>> a public web site but one in a controled environment, so we can actually
>> push some settings at logon through group policies..
>>
>> Thanks
>>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2009
ju.c
 

Posts: n/a
Re: problems supressing file download dialog box (open-save-cancel)
I have both XP and Vista. Do you want me to create the registry file for you for Vista?

If yes then tell me the file extension(s).


ju.c


"GADOI" <support@oci.com> wrote in message news:03DADE5A-81CE-49F8-8E36-D4E8E0FEE036@microsoft.com...
> Thank you.
> I belive in Vista: Control Pannel -> Default programs -> Associate a file
> type or protocol with a program, but even then, that functionality is not
> exposed. I belive I need to go into the registry.
> Microsoft made this even less intuitive with vista...you would think they
> would do everything possible to avoid people messing around with registry
> settings...
>
> "ju.c" <bibidybubidyboop@mailnator.com> wrote in message
> news:eAigMiAcJHA.1532@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>I don't know how to do that using Group Policy but this is the regular way:
>>
>>
>>> 1) either not have a File download dialog box, just start the download.

>>
>> 1. Open 'Tools-->Internet Options'.
>> 2. Select the "Security" tab.
>> 3. Highlight "Intranet" then click the "Custom level..." button.
>> 4. Scroll down to 'Downloads/Automatic prompting for file downloads' and
>> disable.
>> 5. OK, Apply, OK.
>>
>>
>>> 2) if we must have a File Download dialog box, we would like it not to
>>> have

>> the Save button.
>>
>> 1. Open Folder Options from the Control Panel or Explorer.
>> 2. Select the "File Types" tab.
>> 3. Scroll down to the extension you wish to modify and highlight it.
>> 4. Click the "Advanced" button.
>> 5. Uncheck "Confirm open after download".
>>
>>
>> ju.c
>>
>>
>> "GADOI" <support@oci.com> wrote in message
>> news:OKu47g$bJHA.6036@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> Hello:
>>> I have a web site located in the intranet zone. It is a document
>>> management
>>> interface.
>>> When something is clicked on the web page it starts downloading a
>>> document.
>>>
>>> Using IE 7 on XP-PRO or Vista.
>>>
>>> Because of issues of authoritative documents, we want to:
>>> 1) either not have a File download dialog box, just start the download,
>>> 2) if we must have a File Download dialog box, we would like it not to
>>> have
>>> the Save button.
>>>
>>> It is clear, that once the helper document is open, someone could save
>>> the
>>> document, and there is no way around that.
>>>
>>> From an application/policy point of view, we do not want to offer a save
>>> capability, if possible.
>>> But the larger question is: how can we suppress the dialog box
>>> alltogether and have the stream be downloaded automatically. This is not
>>> a public web site but one in a controled environment, so we can actually
>>> push some settings at logon through group policies..
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
File Open/Save Dialog not responding AliilA microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 11 04-27-2010 13:36
Add a link in the Open/Save Dialog MM User microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 08-09-2008 23:09
"File Download - Security Warning" dialog box opens when you try to open IE7 [new KB article] PA Bear microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 05-16-2007 21:16
RE: File Open/Save Dialog Box hangs all applications jwgebhardt microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 04-11-2007 22:30
RE: File Open/Save Dialog Box hangs all applications =?Utf-8?B?S29ra29z?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 02-28-2007 17:43




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:00.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120