address bar results

Cone

address bar results
using IE 7, XP sp 3. i used to type in a word or
phrase in the address bar and get a list of various results (like Google)
which i preferred. Now when i type in a word or phrase, i sometimes get a
specific site (like Google "feeling lucky") which i do not like. Did IE
change something or did i change some setting? Thank you.

Don Varnau

Re: address bar results
Hi,
Address Bar searching did change between IE6 and IE7.
See: Tips for searching the Internet - Windows Vista Help:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...170561033.mspx
(Should also apply to IE7 onXP)
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Cone" <Cone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> using IE 7, XP sp 3. i used to type in a word or
> phrase in the address bar and get a list of various results (like Google)
> which i preferred. Now when i type in a word or phrase, i sometimes get a
> specific site (like Google "feeling lucky") which i do not like. Did IE
> change something or did i change some setting? Thank you.

Cone

Re: address bar results
Don thanks for the tip. i tried the Go Find ? and it did not help. i did
find that my PC still displays a list of results but my laptop goes to a
specific site sometimes. i have checked Internet Options for both and they
are identical. Can you recommend where else would i check to see if there is
something different on one machine from the other? It's not a big issue and
i will get around it by search with Google or similar, but always curious
about how these things tick. Thanks for your help.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Address Bar searching did change between IE6 and IE7.
> See: Tips for searching the Internet - Windows Vista Help:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...170561033.mspx
> (Should also apply to IE7 onXP)
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Cone" <Cone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > using IE 7, XP sp 3. i used to type in a word or
> > phrase in the address bar and get a list of various results (like Google)
> > which i preferred. Now when i type in a word or phrase, i sometimes get a
> > specific site (like Google "feeling lucky") which i do not like. Did IE
> > change something or did i change some setting? Thank you.

Re: address bar results
I see you're having other, possibly related, problems, Cone:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...d32c6a5bd6cac9

Cone wrote:
> Don thanks for the tip. i tried the Go Find ? and it did not help. i did
> find that my PC still displays a list of results but my laptop goes to a
> specific site sometimes. i have checked Internet Options for both and
> they
> are identical. Can you recommend where else would i check to see if there
> is something different on one machine from the other? It's not a big
> issue
> and i will get around it by search with Google or similar, but always
> curious about how these things tick. Thanks for your help.
>
> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>> Address Bar searching did change between IE6 and IE7.
>> See: Tips for searching the Internet - Windows Vista Help:
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...170561033.mspx
>> (Should also apply to IE7 onXP)
>> -
>> Hope this helps,
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>> "Cone" wrote:
>>> using IE 7, XP sp 3. i used to type in a word or
>>> phrase in the address bar and get a list of various results (like
>>> Google)
>>> which i preferred. Now when i type in a word or phrase, i sometimes get
>>> specific site (like Google "feeling lucky") which i do not like. Did IE
>>> change something or did i change some setting? Thank you.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: address bar results

"Cone" <Cone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:728652BA-80C9-4048-8C4C-A38CF21EEFDD@microsoft.com...
> Don thanks for the tip. i tried the Go Find ? and it did not help.

Explain? Go, Find and ? just ensure that a search from the
Address bar get done if that feature is enabled.
Otherwise, if you are only "searching for" one word or non-blank
string that may be interpreted as a potential unprefixed "URL"
to be tried. Then the first thing that would happen on that tack
would be a DNS lookup. At that point some users ISP's may
have a "feechur" which causes the ISP's favourite search site
to be invoked with that search string. So, if your ISP's search site
and yours are the same, that could explain your symptoms (to the
extent that you have disclosed them to us.)

> i did
> find that my PC still displays a list of results but my laptop goes to a
> specific site sometimes.

Are they both using the same DNS?

> i have checked Internet Options for both and they
> are identical. Can you recommend where else would i check to see if there is
> something different on one machine from the other? It's not a big issue and
> i will get around it by search with Google or similar, but always curious
> about how these things tick. Thanks for your help.

If you really want to know what is going on trace both cases
with Fiddler2. If there is not sufficient information from that
to infer the cause of your observations you could also trace
registry accesses using either RegMon or ProcMon.
ProcMon may be preferred even if you are only looking for
registry tracing because you can open traces from two sources
with it to try to compare them.

BTW ProcMon has an unfortunate tendency to crash my system
with a BSOD so don't have anything else critical running when
you try this analysis. ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Address Bar searching did change between IE6 and IE7.
>> See: Tips for searching the Internet - Windows Vista Help:
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...170561033.mspx
>> (Should also apply to IE7 onXP)
>> -
>> Hope this helps,
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>> "Cone" <Cone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > using IE 7, XP sp 3. i used to type in a word or
>> > phrase in the address bar and get a list of various results (like Google)
>> > which i preferred. Now when i type in a word or phrase, i sometimes get a
>> > specific site (like Google "feeling lucky") which i do not like. Did IE
>> > change something or did i change some setting? Thank you.

Cone

Re: address bar results
the article that Don sent suggested using the word "Go" or "Find" or the "?"
before typing in a word or a phrase in the address bar as a solution. Doing
this did NOT change the results - i went to a specific site on laptop's
search and to a list of results on the PC. i am using the same ISP (Comcast)
and the same search engine (IE 7) on both machines.

i don't know how to answer the DNS ? other than i have tried to set up both
machines exactly the same way, so i would think the answer is "yes".

The rest is way over my head, but thanks for trying to help me out. i'm
just going to continue to use the address bar and when a specific site comes
up, i will switch to Google.

Thanks much to all who have responded to this chain and the education that i
always get using these groups.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Cone" <Cone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:728652BA-80C9-4048-8C4C-A38CF21EEFDD@microsoft.com...
> > Don thanks for the tip. i tried the Go Find ? and it did not help.

> Explain? Go, Find and ? just ensure that a search from the
> Address bar get done if that feature is enabled.
> Otherwise, if you are only "searching for" one word or non-blank
> string that may be interpreted as a potential unprefixed "URL"
> to be tried. Then the first thing that would happen on that tack
> would be a DNS lookup. At that point some users ISP's may
> have a "feechur" which causes the ISP's favourite search site
> to be invoked with that search string. So, if your ISP's search site
> and yours are the same, that could explain your symptoms (to the
> extent that you have disclosed them to us.)
>

> > i did
> > find that my PC still displays a list of results but my laptop goes to a
> > specific site sometimes.

> Are they both using the same DNS?
>

> > i have checked Internet Options for both and they
> > are identical. Can you recommend where else would i check to see if there is
> > something different on one machine from the other? It's not a big issue and
> > i will get around it by search with Google or similar, but always curious
> > about how these things tick. Thanks for your help.

> If you really want to know what is going on trace both cases
> with Fiddler2. If there is not sufficient information from that
> to infer the cause of your observations you could also trace
> registry accesses using either RegMon or ProcMon.
> ProcMon may be preferred even if you are only looking for
> registry tracing because you can open traces from two sources
> with it to try to compare them.
>
> BTW ProcMon has an unfortunate tendency to crash my system
> with a BSOD so don't have anything else critical running when
> you try this analysis. ; )
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> Address Bar searching did change between IE6 and IE7.
> >> See: Tips for searching the Internet - Windows Vista Help:
> >> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...170561033.mspx
> >> (Should also apply to IE7 onXP)
> >> -
> >> Hope this helps,
> >> Don
> >> [MS MVP- IE]

Cone

Re: address bar results
i do not beleive that the two are related as i remember making some, what i
thought was a, small change to the settings so that one user could not access
the others files, but not vice versa. Sorry for posting here on this topic
but i did not get a notification sending me to the original post and i can't
find my way back to it. It does appear that you have set up some sort of
page just for my Windows Explorer issue, but i don't know how to use it.
Thanks much for the assistance.

"Cone" <Cone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:650DB0F0-21F5-41B5-ACF4-F020E46F19CE@microsoft.com...
> the article that Don sent suggested using the word "Go" or "Find" or the "?"
> before typing in a word or a phrase in the address bar as a solution. Doing
> this did NOT change the results - i went to a specific site on laptop's
> search and to a list of results on the PC. i am using the same ISP (Comcast)
> and the same search engine (IE 7) on both machines.

That still doesn't clarify if your are using only one word in your query
or if that is the only case which causes the undesirable result.

> i don't know how to answer the DNS ? other than i have tried to set up both
> machines exactly the same way, so i would think the answer is "yes".
>

> The rest is way over my head, but thanks for trying to help me out.

Too bad. When you're more interested in solving your problem
you can try those ideas then.

Other diagnostics to pay attention to are all the clues you get
from the IE window when you make your request.
E.g. changes in Status bar, Title bar, Tab label, as well as
transitions in the window display area and the final result
that you are only alluding to.

In addition you might be able to get a rudimentary trace which
could highlight those changes by setting Active Scripting to Prompt
and then replying Yes to each prompt.

> i'm just going to continue to use the address bar and when a specific site comes
> up, i will switch to Google.

A "specific site" is most likely to come up if you enter a single non-blank
string as your "search expression" with or without the go find and ?
the search from the Address bar function has been taken over by
a third-party program. Have you tried using No Add-ons mode
to see if your symptoms change?

Good luck

Robert
---