Windows Update States I need IE 5 or higher

DavidK

Windows Update States I need IE 5 or higher
I have several users I support who are getting an error that they need IE 5
or higher to access windows updates. They are doing this on IE 7 but for some
reason WU sees them as using Firefox. I have uninstalled firefox then
reinstalled IE 7 but still the same problem. Other web sites that tell you
what browser your using all state that they are using Firefox. Trust me they
am using IE 7 and the help>about still states IE 7 with SP1

Any ideas?
Don Varnau

Re: Windows Update States I need IE 5 or higher
Hi,
Suggestion #1: Run the appropriate script from
http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx to correct the User_Agent string.

Suggestion #2: Check settings of any third-party security suite or firewall
for an option to block header information, enable private browsing, etc.
Windows Update and other sites may be unable to read the browser headers.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"DavidK" <DavidK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have several users I support who are getting an error that they need IE

5
> or higher to access windows updates. They are doing this on IE 7 but for

some
> reason WU sees them as using Firefox. I have uninstalled firefox then
> reinstalled IE 7 but still the same problem. Other web sites that tell you
> what browser your using all state that they are using Firefox. Trust me

they
> am using IE 7 and the help>about still states IE 7 with SP1
>
> Any ideas?

Re: Windows Update States I need IE 5 or higher
What third-party firewall is installed & enabled?

DavidK wrote:
> I have several users I support who are getting an error that they need IE
> 5
> or higher to access windows updates. They are doing this on IE 7 but for
> some reason WU sees them as using Firefox. I have uninstalled firefox then
> reinstalled IE 7 but still the same problem. Other web sites that tell you
> what browser your using all state that they are using Firefox. Trust me
> they
> am using IE 7 and the help>about still states IE 7 with SP1
>
> Any ideas?

DavidK

Re: Windows Update States I need IE 5 or higher
The users all seem to have not had anything installed. Once they contacted
our support, we had them install AVG, Adaware and run them. Nothing found.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What third-party firewall is installed & enabled?
>
> DavidK wrote:
> > I have several users I support who are getting an error that they need IE
> > 5
> > or higher to access windows updates. They are doing this on IE 7 but for
> > some reason WU sees them as using Firefox. I have uninstalled firefox then
> > reinstalled IE 7 but still the same problem. Other web sites that tell you
> > what browser your using all state that they are using Firefox. Trust me
> > they
> > am using IE 7 and the help>about still states IE 7 with SP1
> >
> > Any ideas?

Re: Windows Update States I need IE 5 or higher
>>> ...Trust me
>>> they [are] using IE 7 and the help>about still states IE 7 with SP1

Are all of these machines all running Vista SP1? If so, how are these users
running Windows Update and is Automatic Updates installed?

Is this a sudden, new problem for these users? Are all of the machines
located in the same place/on the same network? In what way are they "your"
users?

Why has no anti-virus application been installed on these machines until
now? (PS: AVG was not your best choice, if amongst the few free AV apps.)